House Price Crash Forum

Ask yourself how many times Alan Sugar has been bankrupt and you will understand what she is talking about.

Words fail me. Why don't you please leave us all alone and go and quietly bankrupt yourself. th edifference between the losers in BTL and (at least) the veterans here is that we all have REAL money to lose. If you wanna ruin our futures by bankrupting yourself on 100% LTV, fine, but don't expect sensible people to put their OWN money into failing business plans just for some painful and insane "experience".

What you forget about any really successful businessman like Sugar is that they are as rare as say world class sports persons, artists, scientists or anyone else at the top of their game. They have an EDGE that makes them 1 in 1,000,000. Without that all the business failures in th eworld will not make you successful. Merely a loser bum.

I saw a brief snippet, where the "expert" was telling the guys that the smart money was moving out and the stupid money was moving in!"

These guys also seemed to be firm believers in the power of the Euro, and how these countries joining the euro was gonna be like a gold rush for them, that people would be rushing to these countries for holidays flying out on plane tickets costing just £20.

delusional. I don't doubt for one moment that for these countries joing the euro will do wonders for their economies, but with a major european wide recession just around the corner, it won't be quite the wonder boom they expect. And also haven't they noticed how cheap air fairs have been creeping up as important subsidies are being lost to the airlines and they find it harder and harder to actually make profits out of ultra cheap air fairs, rising fuel costs etc. And another thing. With these eastern bloc countries joining the euro and boosting their economies, things will start to go up in price and they will no longer be the cheap £5 for a month wonder holiday. These places are cheap now and people are not exactly flocking there, why will they go just because its part of "europe" and have the Euro and prices going up?

I'm sure money can be made, just not magic millions!

Further to the attractions of Eastern Europe: I was alittle worried about the expose on the conduct of our staff at asylum centres. It struck me that the physical and mental abuse being meted out to eastern Europeans we were subsequently deporting was not exactly designed to over enamour us to natives of these countries. I'd hate to be stuck witha property in a town where the locals know Brits beat up their nationals. Nevermind the local mobs.

Well the proof is in the pudding.

Look at Moscow, property could be bought for pennies 10 years ago, today flats are 1M plus.

Prague is the same story, I looked at Prague 7 years ago, today I can look but not buy as prices have hit the roof.

Every country that has joined Europe has seen massive inflation in the property market as the country is released from the chains of its old past and launched into the new century.

Bulgaria.....You can get a lakeside four bed detached for 5K. Go anywhere in the world and waterfront property is for millionaires even in crap places like the North of England.

... the proof is in the pudding ...

Go anywhere in the world and waterfront property is for millionaires

Here's the pudding:

Hot New Waterfront Home!!

Ref : 1030 Price : US $ 795000 (~£420k)

Current Status : For Sale

Type : Single Family Home

Rooms : 4 bed, 4 bath

http://www.oliproperties.com/oliproperties...na%20Properties

Here's an extra pudding. The only way to make a real profit, over time, without vulnerability to fluctuations and speculations is:

Work Hard.

Produce Something which is of high quality.

Keep you employees reasonably happy.

Don't rip anyone off.

Sell for a reasonable price.

Deliver proper customer service.

Anything else is ********, pie in the sky game playing using other people's time, effort and money.

Economic history is littered with corporate power brokers who produce zilch but temporarily make a buck, or lose...spectacularly...only to emerge again and try the same old tricks.

VP

The BTL lass was aiming to come out of the whole speculation gone wrong with her back to square one, and this was an optimistic outcome.

Just laughed when her brilliant strategy of finding an area to buy in was point a pin on a map and see where it lands, brilliant!

2 years void on a property, ouch!

Interesting program overall.

Here's the pudding:

Hot New Waterfront Home!!

Ref : 1030    Price : US $  795000    (~£420k)

Current Status : For Sale

Type : Single Family Home

Rooms : 4 bed, 4 bath

http://www.oliproperties.com/oliproperties...na%20Properties

Great neighborhood.Large 2131sq.ft.waterfront house with dock and davits. On fantastic N. Northlake. Plans and permits ready for investor to make huge profits.

What a joke

This is right next door to me, I could probably walk.

Guest muttley
Well the proof is in the pudding.

Look at Moscow, property could be bought for pennies 10 years ago, today flats are 1M plus.

Interesting.Do you know anyone who has successfully bought a property in Russia,sold it for a profit,and then extracted the money into their bank?

Russians are,in general,an amiable race....until they put on a collar and tie.

Here's an extra pudding. The only way to make a real profit, over time, without vulnerability to fluctuations and speculations is:

Work Hard.

Produce Something which is of high quality.

Keep you employees reasonably happy.

Don't rip anyone off.

Sell for a reasonable price.

Deliver proper customer service.

Anything else is ********, pie in the sky game playing using other people's time, effort and money.

Economic history is littered with corporate power brokers who produce zilch but temporarily make a buck, or lose...spectacularly...only to emerge again and try the same old tricks.

If only that were true VP, what a nice world we would all live in.

Unfortunately its not, we can work our socks off, dawn to dusk, and still have our job offshored, we can never compete with China, or Russia, or India its an impossible dream.

Customer Service has gone to the wall, I know of a certain large corp that now has two call centers. One for the plebs small customers, and one for the real customers. The theory being that providing customer service for the small people is not as profitable as providing it for the large customers. Now my view that is short sighted economics as the small customers may one day become big customers small acorns and all that.

We are currently living in a world of business that is planned on weekly basis's, no longer is there a ten year strategy, its a weekly ducking and diving excercise.

Just pop into Tescos today and look around, clothes for 25% of the cost that we used to pay 15 years ago, all from China. I think something big is going to happen in the future, and I think the UK is going to be a big loser when it does happen.

i watched the program as well, and i have two points to make..

1) The program openly stated that the UK housing market was in trouble. (A reflection of the BBC program?) And that snippet of the BTL lady was fantastic in my mind.

i think the program stated that not so long ago, (some 8 months) the BTL lady had 25 plus properties. And then it discussed how a few properties never got tenants, followed by her never reaching the re-payments on those properties. The end result.. 300k of debt, no properties and living in rented accomodation. Does anyone think she is going to get out of that? Or even get a mortgage again? In my mind she is f**ked. No magic business plan is going to rescue her.

However, we can benefit from her experience in that i hope this will send other BTL people into a panic attack. And about time as well.

2) Those people whom went out to bulgaria, IMO, had not done enough research into the area, or the country. I think they were hoping to carry on with their BTL scheming over there. It can work, but i dont think they have enough local knowledge to compete sucessfully. All they have, as they said in the beginning, is some spare cash, and a vague hope of making a profit.

Interesting.Do you know anyone who has successfully bought a property in Russia,sold it for a profit,and then extracted the money into their bank?

Russians are,in general,an amiable race....until they put on a collar and tie.

Correction -

Russians are an amiable race unless:

1. You are a Westerner with money

2. They have something you want

3. You sign a contract with them which they know means didly, except that they can extract even more money from you on the basis of 1 & 2

Take the above as a given from someone who is currently trying to do business out there at the moment - any excuse & they will fleece you & then, if you pay, fleece you again before giving you something which is less than what you thought you were being blackmailed for! :(

Guest muttley
Correction -

Russians are an amiable race unless:

1. You are a Westerner with money

2. They have something you want

3. You sign a contract with them which they know means didly, except that they can extract even more money from you on the basis of 1 & 2

Take the above as a given from someone who is currently trying to do business out there at the moment - any excuse & they will fleece you & then, if you pay, fleece you again before giving you something which is less than what you thought you were being blackmailed for!  :(

So I take it that you wouldn't like to buy some of laurejon's penny appartments and sell them on for millions?

ive delt with russians before. they are super bold faced and will cheat you if your daft enough to think otherwise. they dont have many business friends.

the itv program was good. not just for obvious samples of disaster, but the general house market in crisis approach which was a refreshing and welcome change to the usual bleating.

btl in europe ? sounds like lots of red tape. if you cant get tenants here, how will you get on there if you have problems. seems like the housing flock are grabbing at straws. i wish they would call it a day and get back into stocks as normal.

i blame it on playstation BTL shoot-em-up games.

"Investor" : "10 outlay, 10 in (renovation), sell for 30, that's a 75% profit"

er, no

Same guy: "I'm gonna make millions."

Presumably on the same maths?

Thanks sledgehead, i thought i had completely lost it. I had had a beer and two glasses of wine and felt like one of those classic drunks on the big screen who suddenly felt a need to dump the brown paper wrapped bottle having seen some incredible sight.

I am no mathematitian but holy %^$£ where did that guy go to school?