House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Gloom

Charles Church Update "marinus, Isle Of Wight Uk"

Its been a long time since I have reported on 'Marinus' the ship shaped eyesore nesting between a well frequented public lavatories and numerous Donor Kebab and takeaway shops, in a well 'chaved' up area called Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

http://www.charles-church.co.uk/default.as...e=2893&arc=

Not only do I detest this development or rather the detremental effect on the local economy and its contribution to social decay. It is evident that just a year or so past its opening that a huge number of surrounding properties and established low level flats have become vacant and unsellable because of this mutton dressed as lamb building towering over once waterfront properties.

Not only has the influx of wealth failed to materialise as a number of high profile shops in Cowes have been forced to close and no-one is prepared to take the leases on, even with the supposedly attractive Cowes week festival as mentioned on the Marinus website given. I'm amazed at such an investment (as they would claim it to be) is based on a horar Henry event, which has gone t*ts up since the Royal Yacht stopped attending some 6 or 7 years ago.

So far locals have been given a large two fingers in terms of sea-views and local shop-keepers are struggling to keep going as Margaret and Charles in his captains hat just aren't interested, and yes the car park rarely has more than 2 or 3 cars parked in it.

Whats more, a penthouse suite has come back onto the market for a staggering price, (laughing as I speak) the usual builders trick of suckering people into buying into the elephant is to self purchase the expensive flats and gradually feed them back into the market once mould has appeared in the bathroom and the skirting heating system has fallen off even more. Come on would you be first to put your name down. No you first.

From the word go, since the foundations were put in, I had a feeling this would be a failure, as stated comparing Cowes to Monaco won't fool anyone, even the people who have spend £400k of a two bedroom flat, surely cannot be THAT stupid. The chavs kicking about outside gives that one away.

So what does the future hold for this monstosity?

Much like Medina View, do a search, this was once in the same vein as 'Marinus' now its just tatty housing for first time renters, and is equally as empty even on season around Cowes Week.

What communities need is their interests looking after and not some invisable rich c*ck who just won't appear, as people as stupid as they are, just aren't THAT stupid.

Guest happy?
Its been a long time since I have reported on 'Marinus' the ship shaped eyesore nesting between a well frequented public lavatories and numerous Donor Kebab and takeaway shops, in a well 'chaved' up area called Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

Not only do I detest this development or rather the detremental effect on the local economy and its contribution to social decay. It is evident that just a year or so past its opening that a huge number of surrounding properties and established low level flats have become vacant and unsellable because of this mutton dressed as lamb building towering over once waterfront properties.

What communities need is their interests looking after and not some invisable rich c*ck who just won't appear, as people as stupid as they are, just aren't THAT stupid.

I have long held the view that housing should never be more than 3 storeys high. These ugly, multi-storey monstrosities are a source of social deprivation for the next generation. By 2015 newsround and local TV will show lottery-winners pushing the button as the dynamite goes up. And so the same depressing whirl continues - all so some speculator can gouge us and politicians talk boll0x in the name of meeting social need.

I await the re-emergence of John Poulson and T Dan Smith.

Not only has the influx of wealth failed to materialise as a number of high profile shops in Cowes have been forced to close and no-one is prepared to take the leases on, even with the supposedly attractive Cowes week festival as mentioned on the Marinus website given. I'm amazed at such an investment (as they would claim it to be) is based on a horar Henry event, which has gone t*ts up since the Royal Yacht stopped attending some 6 or 7 years ago.

So far locals have been given a large two fingers in terms of sea-views and local shop-keepers are struggling to keep going as Margaret and Charles in his captains hat just aren't interested, and yes the car park rarely has more than 2 or 3 cars parked in it.

Whats more, a penthouse suite has come back onto the market for a staggering price, (laughing as I speak) the usual builders trick of suckering people into buying into the elephant is to self purchase the expensive flats and gradually feed them back into the market once mould has appeared in the bathroom and the skirting heating system has fallen off even more. Come on would you be first to put your name down. No you first.

From the word go, since the foundations were put in, I had a feeling this would be a failure, as stated comparing Cowes to Monaco won't fool anyone, even the people who have spend £400k of a two bedroom flat, surely cannot be THAT stupid. The chavs kicking about outside gives that one away.

Much like Medina View, do a search, this was once in the same vein as 'Marinus' now its just tatty housing for first time renters, and is equally as empty even on season around Cowes Week.

Excellent post Doctor Gloom. It sums up the current gloomy state of Cowes on the Isle of Wight. You are quite right about Cowes week. It is just a down market club event participated in by the lower classes. The building in question is a monstrosity which defaces Cowes. I hope that Charles Church goes bust and takes this building down with it. The Isle of Wight is in for hard times IMO. :(

Excellent post Doctor Gloom. It sums up the current gloomy state of Cowes on the Isle of Wight. You are quite right about Cowes week. It is just a down market club event participated in by the lower classes. The building in question is a monstrosity which defaces Cowes. I hope that Charles Church goes bust and takes this building down with it. The Isle of Wight is in for hard times IMO. :(

My next project will to report on the new 'Hawthorn Meadows' Development across the water in East Cowes.

I can't remember the exact number of homes being built in 'phases' but it runs into hundreds. The land near to the River Medina is brown belt land and is literally that, brown. Brown because it is spongy and boggy :o

The developer is Barratts which doesn't help the situation in providing quality homes. Much like the once reported Nelson Drive in Cowes which is another Barratts toy town. I can't see this new one being any better. Houses built in every concevable location and angles with blatent disregard to living standards.

And they are top price too.

My tip, buy old, you get more space, more garden and decent living standards and the prices IMO are better too.

I have long held the view that housing should never be more than 3 storeys high. These ugly, multi-storey monstrosities are a source of social deprivation for the next generation. By 2015 newsround and local TV will show lottery-winners pushing the button as the dynamite goes up. And so the same depressing whirl continues - all so some speculator can gouge us and politicians talk boll0x in the name of meeting social need.

I await the re-emergence of John Poulson and T Dan Smith.

Personally I like to be at least 5 stories up with a lift service. Especially in London if you go a bit higher you might catch a glimpse of greenery if you are lucky.

Good call Doctor Gloom. A great big "For Let" sign went up this weekend. From 70% sold signs to a to let sign on a virtually empty building in two years is some going. Watch this space.

Good call Doctor Gloom. A great big "For Let" sign went up this weekend. From 70% sold signs to a to let sign on a virtually empty building in two years is some going. Watch this space.

All things going very much as expected then. Give it a year and social housing will be moving in, pets an' all.

Fancy a look around the penthouse suite somewhen DB? I bet you £10 they will except under £500,000.

My next project will to report on the new 'Hawthorn Meadows' Development across the water in East Cowes.

I can't remember the exact number of homes being built in 'phases' but it runs into hundreds. The land near to the River Medina is brown belt land and is literally that, brown. Brown because it is spongy and boggy :o

The developer is Barratts which doesn't help the situation in providing quality homes. Much like the once reported Nelson Drive in Cowes which is another Barratts toy town. I can't see this new one being any better. Houses built in every concevable location and angles with blatent disregard to living standards.

And they are top price too.

My tip, buy old, you get more space, more garden and decent living standards and the prices IMO are better too.

I was right, got to take some photos of a show home that has recently sold (6 months ago) which has a very large verticle crack appearing taking the rendering with it, nice. Will post when I get it over the next few days.