House Price Crash Forum

Friday's Online Banking Added Security Tools

HOLA441

I made this post on another forum some months ago... I think it's useful, so have decided to post it here at hpc.

If you have online banking facilities, and don't receive paper statements (I don't... too much risk of going missing / posted to neighbours accidentally / risk of people seeing your paper statements whilst your out of the house / less waste / less time messing around opening letters/ not having to carefully physically dispose of paper statements).. then these programs below might be of benefit.

1) FrontCam to digitally video-record anything you see whilst you surf the net - so can be used for online bank statements and balances. I record mine once every 3 months or so. (starting FrontCam recording after logging in for security reasons).

front_cam_scr.jpg

Frontcam is free in unregistered form, which only says unregistered in top left hand corner, and is good for unlimited use. I've registered mine with payment only because I thought the makers deserve their money.

Should the banks have massive server crash, data-loss, unauthorised inside-access ect ect a Frontcam video will be much more convincing proof of the existence of your account than any statements you may have printed off on your own printer.

Gives an absolute proof digital recording of the existence of your online account / balance with digitally recorded live video playback when you view your account. Simple to use.. red circle icon records - then green square button to stop recording.

Frontcam returns a video file which plays in Windows Media Player and is crisp and sharp in definition. (If slightly blurred just alter your own screen resolution to 800x600 for sharpest playback)

Here is an example Frontcam video I recorded just now - logging in to housepricecrash.co.uk (in a zip folder.. 2mb)

Also right-clicking and viewing "page-info" or the padlock symbol and certificate whilst recording to prove it's the proper banking site might be advisable.

2) Firefox browser with the free KeyScrambler Personal plug-in for secure log-in (as a precaution.)

KeyScrambler_personal.gif

(Also shown in working action in the Frontcam example video.)

KeyScrambler Personal encrypts your keystrokes at the kernel driver level to protect your login information from keyloggers.

When you type on your keyboard, the keys travel along a path within the operating system before it arrives at your browser. Keyloggers plant themselves along this path and observe and record your keystrokes. The collected information is then sent to the criminals who will use it to steal from you.

KeyScrambler defeats keyloggers by encrypting your keystrokes at the keyboard driver level, deep within the operating system. When the encrypted keystrokes reach your browser, KeyScrambler then decrypts them so you see exactly the keys you've typed. Keyloggers can only record the encrypted keys, which are completely indecipherable.

Unlike anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that depend on recognition to remove keyloggers that they know about, KeyScrambler will protect you from both known and unknown keyloggers. What's more, KeyScrambler provides protection without getting in your way.

Free - pro version which works constantly (not just at logins/secure logins) requires payment.

3) AxCrypt strong encryption with alpha-numeric password on each video file afterwards so videos/statement/balances can not be accessed by unauthorised persons. Opensource.. quite simple to use once you get the hang of it. Great documentation and background info about encryption on their website. Free.

4) File Shredder to delete/shred (with choice of algorithms.. using either DoD 5220-22.M or up to Guttman algorithm 35 passes) any old FrontCam online banking videos I no longer need. If you don't use a program like this... any files you've put in the standard recycle bin and think you've deleted, is actually at risk of being fully restored by simple tools. It can also shred any old stuff you've already deleted in your recycle bin, so that it is highly unlikely those files can be restored. Free.

HOLA442
HOLA443
What a great post - thanks very much for that Friday

Thanks cbs7 for your positive approval. Was unsure whether to make this thread or not... but if even only just one person finds the tools useful then it's worthwhile.

I find FrontCam especially reassuring in giving real digital evidence of your online accounts - especially in the current financial situation. Otherwise I wouldn't really be able to prove my balances/accounts at some online banks if some negative event were to happen.

Edited by friday

HOLA444
Thanks cbs7 for your positive approval. Was unsure whether to make this thread or not... but if even only just one person finds the tools useful then it's worthwhile.

I find FrontCam especially reassuring in giving real digital evidence of your online accounts - especially in the current financial situation. Otherwise I wouldn't really be able to prove my balances/accounts at some online banks if some negative event were to happen.

I think it's a great idea. I have been getting a bit uneasy about having so many things online given the stresses in the financial system. I need to login to my accounts and record the balances as you suggest. Many thanks for sharing

HOLA445
  • 6 months later...
HOLA446