House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skinty

Black Weekend?

Guest Skint Academic

My turn!!!

- Bear Sterns goes pop!

- GBP to Euro now plummeting under 1.3, possibly because of bad news on the horizon ...

- Darling's budget consisted of sticking his fingers in his ears and going La-la-la-la-la ....

- Uber-bearish reports coming out about the global economy and more mention of it in the mainstream media ...

Is this the weekend when sentiment truly changes?

But Darling said that this year, talk of recession will be a memory.

and

Henk Paulson in the US and Bush are now resorting to telling people to be positive about the economy and it will be OK :lol:

hmmmm

We really are up sh1t creek

But Darling said that this year, talk of recession will be a memory.

and

Henk Paulson in the US and Bush are now resorting to telling people to be positive about the economy and it will be OK :lol:

hmmmm

We really are up sh1t creek

I think you must have misheard:

Darling said that next year, talk of recession will be a fond memory

Guest Skint Academic

But at least we have an exponentially increasing supply of poles coming in to work for us and keep house prices high ...

We do don't we?

Guest grumpy-old-man
My turn!!!

- Bear Sterns goes pop!

- GBP to Euro now plummeting under 1.3, possibly because of bad news on the horizon ...

- Darling's budget consisted of sticking his fingers in his ears and going La-la-la-la-la ....

- Uber-bearish reports coming out about the global economy and more mention of it in the mainstream media ...

yes I tried it last weekend;

Black Weekend Threads

I think your right though, it could be this weekend.....

so who's next then, Lehman (someone else comented on this tonight)

bear stern as of today

Without a doubt. Probably it has not fed into the public consciousness quite yet (being Friday and all), but its effects on the economy will become clear. We are no longer talking about a minor UK bank from a city that no one outside of the UK has heard of, but an investment bank, just below the top tier, with 17,000-odd employees. Bear was at the top of the synthetic debt and subprime trees and is now the first really big player to go under.

Confidence in the financial system and the future of the economy will weaken globally. The downwards momentum on house prices will pick up pace. The Spring bounce will not even be a dead-cat bounce this year.

Steady the Buffs.

My hunch is that you will have to wait until the latter part of the year for the main feature to start but you can be sure when the it gets underway it will be X certificate stuff.

For the moment the Fed and the other Central Banks still have some money to throw away and Bernanke has not yet reduced US interest rates to zero

How safe are our savings?

As safe as houses :rolleyes:

If people did start losing savings though that'll be a step away from anarchy. Mind you, that'll not hurt the majority...maybe it'll only be realised when our playstations or lcd tv's are auctioned off as part of the countries debt!

Guest Skint Academic

The transition from optimism to pessimism is always going to be a gradual one. In the same way that a ball being thrown upwards will eventually stall and then accelerate downwards, you have two opposing forces at work here. There will be a point in time upon which we look back and say that the tide has turned. This will be when the we get a majority erring on the side of pessimism rather than optimism. We know it's going to happen sometime. Sufficient bad news is leaking out now that enough people will start to expect a downturn, especially as over the last few days, it has effectively been stated in the mainstream media as a given. I'd say that we have just crossed the threshold.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Something that's often missed here.

No, we are heading for Armageddon.

My Bank approached me today by email to borrow some money, I refused, so expect them to approach the BoE on Monday for emergency funding. ;)

My monies on another misunderstood post. :(

Guest anorthosite

Let's be honest, the budget was always going to be a potential turning point for public sentiment.

Its pretty much the only time you get any public debate on the economy.

Something that's often missed here.

We asked for a house price crash, not economic meltdown!

Can I underline that ? HPC : yes . Recession : Hmmm, no thanks. :(

Edited by RockingHorse

Wise words

Be careful what you wish for.

With so much of the country's wealth tied up in property it was inevitable that a HPC would lead to a recession. The economic meltdown is a bonus brought to you by bankers selling cheap debt while pocketing their own bonuses in the form of cash. Let's hope they invested heavily in property and get a dose of what the rest of us will get courtesy of their greed-led financial shenanigans.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Methinkshe

<New avatar>

Oh no. I've seen that before: it's horribly hypnotic. The last time, I spent 36 hours sitting in front of a computer staring a David Hasselhoff's crotch perpetually zooming towards me. Fortunately I eventually passed out due to hunger.

Guest anorthosite
Oh no. I've seen that before: it's horribly hypnotic. The last time, I spent 36 hours sitting in front of a computer staring a David Hasselhoff's crotch perpetually zooming towards me. Fortunately I eventually passed out due to hunger.

This from a man with Sean Connery in a red nappy :o

Exactly. Not aimed at OP or anyone specific in this thread at least but how people rejoice over economic meltdown? Are they all unemployed already or something?

Exactly. Not aimed at OP or anyone specific in this thread at least but how people rejoice over economic meltdown? Are they all unemployed already or something?

They work in the security industry

My turn!!!

- Bear Sterns goes pop!

next Friday wont be Good Friday, its going to be sh1te Friday