House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

A Conversation I Had Today

My mate about to lose his job, they've outsource his job to Romania and poland to cut costs. Anyway he was speaking to the romanian/polish delegate about working jobs etc.. guy tells him that theres plenty of jobs back in poland however they are low paid and know one wants to do them, so workers emigrate to the UK to find better pay.

This made me think about the uk, If eastern europeans dont want to work in their home country because of pay what is the difference of a british worker not willing to work in the UK because of low pay, just makes you wonder.

Edited by crash2006

My mate about to lose his job, they've outsource his job to Romania and poland to cut costs. Anyway he was speaking to the romanian/polish delegate about working jobs etc.. guy tells him that theres plenty of jobs back in poland however they are low paid and know one wants to do them, so workers emigrate to the UK to find better pay.

This made me think about the uk, If eastern europeans dont want to work in their home country because of pay what is the difference of a british worker not willing to work in the UK because of low pay, just makes you wonder.

Presumably the brit won't want to leave the comfort of the UK whereas anyone from a poorer country will be glad too.

Presumably the brit won't want to leave the comfort of the UK whereas anyone from a poorer country will be glad too.

or maybe low paid brits dont have anywere to go.

Outsourcing does my head in. OK the business gets things done cheaper, but where will outsourcing end? When we've outsourced everything that we can to overseas, will our economy crash?

Actually its a bit of a worry what will happen, my guess consumers stop consuming and speeds up the problem, how many jobs can you outsource before it hurts the economy.

Outsourcing is basically exporting skills. All those people in India working today in call centres for British companies might well be working tomorrow in call centres for Indian companies exporting services to the British market.

Remember in the last days of British Leyland (or Austin Rover as it became next) they were saying it was no longer economic for Britain to make cars. Then BaE sold Rover to BMW, then it became an independent British company again until it went bankrupt. Still they were saying the same thing about how it was uneconomic for Britain to make cars. But that hasn't stopped Nissan, Toyota and Honda from coming here to build cars. It didn't stop BMW from bulding New Minis here. It hasn't stopped Ford or General Motors from building cars here since the 1930s.

Crash2006, may I ask what line of work are you in?

Was in banking moved to IT and now doing a 2nd uni degree and getting back into banking.

Edited by crash2006

Outsourcing is basically exporting skills. All those people in India working today in call centres for British companies might well be working tomorrow in call centres for Indian companies exporting services to the British market.

Remember in the last days of British Leyland (or Austin Rover as it became next) they were saying it was no longer economic for Britain to make cars. Then BaE sold Rover to BMW, then it became an independent British company again until it went bankrupt. Still they were saying the same thing about how it was uneconomic for Britain to make cars. But that hasn't stopped Nissan, Toyota and Honda from coming here to build cars. It didn't stop BMW from bulding New Minis here. It hasn't stopped Ford or General Motors from building cars here since the 1930s.

You have spotted one of the 'big lies' of management post-1995.

Outsourcing is a fad, used primarily to mask poor management.

theres lots of reasons why foreign companies locate here, and things the government dont want the public to know. ;)

Was in banking moved to IT and now doing a 2nd uni degree and getting back into banking.

Hope all goes well for you.

I gave university a wide birth. Did other stuff instead...........never achademic stuff.

Banking? That's a toughie.

Hope all goes well for you.

I gave university a wide birth. Did other stuff instead...........never achademic stuff.

Banking? That's a toughie.

I just saw IT as explotation, working weekends staying after socialble hours for the same pay, and coming in the next day managers moaning why i was late etc..

I prefer banking for the reason of making more money even if the hours are longer its nicer if you work in a small firm and get a % etc...

I have respect for IT personnel with the amount of crap they have to put up with.

Edited by crash2006

Outsourcing does my head in. OK the business gets things done cheaper, but where will outsourcing end? When we've outsourced everything that we can to overseas, will our economy crash?

yes very true where will it all end if we dont have jobs we cannot spend money and create a demand for goods and services , cheaper for companies in the short term , but long term they will all suffer. I was made redundant in September 2006 , the firm I worked for paid me off well and i decided to retrain . After six months on a computer course I thought getting a new job would be quite easy , as i have good work record and experience . How wrong i was i couldnot even get interviews . After four months I got one interview and got the job, however I take home half what i used to earn , and am on a contract with no security , sick pay , pension or benifits. Luckly i managed to sell my house in December and have banked some money. Low unemployment my ARS_.

yes very true where will it all end if we dont have jobs we cannot spend money and create a demand for goods and services , cheaper for companies in the short term , but long term they will all suffer. I was made redundant in September 2006 , the firm I worked for paid me off well and i decided to retrain . After six months on a computer course I thought getting a new job would be quite easy , as i have good work record and experience . How wrong i was i couldnot even get interviews . After four months I got one interview and got the job, however I take home half what i used to earn , and am on a contract with no security , sick pay , pension or benifits. Luckly i managed to sell my house in December and have banked some money. Low unemployment my ARS_.

Miko do you mind telling what kind of work and where ?

government agent?

Ha ha you twigged,

no just genuinely interested

as part of your dossier compilation,

manufacturing of WMD is it ?

Actually its a bit of a worry what will happen, my guess consumers stop consuming and speeds up the problem, how many jobs can you outsource before it hurts the economy.

You only need to examine the US economy to see that is a major source of the current credit problems. Since the 1970s US workers wages have been declining in real terms and they have had to resort to working longer hours and borrowing more and more money to maintain their lifestyle. Eventually, of course, the situation arose when the indebted workers could no longer meet their liabilities such as mortgage payments. When the burden got to great they simply gave up and started to walk away from their debts. As soon as that happened the gig was up for the entire western capitalist world and the financial system began to unravel fast. Pity the greedy bastards in government, the corporation and the financial institutions did not pay more heed to the reason why Henry Ford paid his workers such high wages. In their rush to grab more of the pie for themselves and to leave the rest of us with scraps they have effectively wound up f***king themselves royally. If we all were not going to suffer in the fallout it would be a pleasure to behold.

Edited by up2nogood

Ha ha you twigged,

no just genuinely interested

as part of your dossier compilation,

manufacturing of WMD is it ?

compilation of how to get me out of here with out id.

You only need to examine the US economy to see that is a major source of the current credit problems. Since the 1970s US workers wages have been declining in real terms and they have had to resort to working longer hours and borrowing more and more money to maintain their lifestyle. Eventually, of course, the situation arose when the indebted workers could no longer meet their liabilities such as mortgage payments. When the burden got to great they simply gave up and started to walk away from their debts. As soon as that happened the gig was up for the entire western capitalist world and the financial system began to unravel fast. Pity the greedy bastards in government, the corporation and the financial institutions did not pay more heed to the reason why Henry Ford paid his workers such high wages. In their rush to grab more of the pie for themselves and to leave the rest of us with scraps they have effectively wound up f***king themselves royally. If we all were not going to suffer in the fallout it would be a pleasure to behold.

its going to be a massive unsocial party.

If we all were not going to suffer in the fallout it would be a pleasure to behold.

But let your worry rest as we are not all going to suffer as this is not a world wide meltdown most of the worlds population are not exposed.

China's economy continues to charge ahead. Recently, it was announced that China's real GDP grew by a fantastic 11.2% in 2007. There is no doubt that China's economy is booming and in 2007, its trade-surplus doubled when compared to a year earlier. Moreover, retail sales in China have been growing at 14% per annum for many years and in the past 12 months, total sales reached almost US$1 trillion. Interestingly, the number of US Dollar billionaires in China jumped almost 10-fold in the past year from 14 to 106 individuals. All of the above leads me to conclude that the Chinese consumer will be an extremely influential factor in the years ahead.

"Elsewhere in the region, India's economy is also growing rapidly with real GDP growth clocking in at roughly 9%. Its industrial production has slowed down somewhat in the recent past but production of capital goods continues to soar. "As far as the Asian region's dependence on the US market is concerned, Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia are the most exposed to the American consumer. Their exports to the US are equal to roughly 20% of their GDPs, compared with only 8% in China and a miniscule 2% in India.

"Due to the slowdown in the West, exports to the US from Singapore and Malaysia have declined by roughly 15% from their peaks. Yet, it is worth noting that both these nations' total exports have still managed to grow by 6% due to surging exports to Europe and the other emerging nations. This data suggests to me that we are slowly but surely moving away from a US-centric world."

Edited by Bardon

A bit more on the world has not stopped spinning and fallen off its axis theme and most importantly

a significant milestone and change point for the internet

More people connect to the Internet in China than any other country in the world

BDA reported Thursday that China surpassed the United States to rank first among nations for its number of Internet users. The firm said that the China Internet Network Information Center counted 210 million Internet users in China at the end of 2007.

Nielsen/NetRatings counted 216 million U.S. users at the end of 2007. Assuming the markets have continued to grow at the same rates as last year, BDA's principal new media analyst Bin Liu concluded that China now has more Internet users than the United States. The numbers represent market opportunities, but the quality of content, advertising, and e-commerce is better in the United States, according to BDA.

BDA predicts that e-commerce will boom in China as businesses and retailers take advantage of China's population of Internet users. BDA chairman Duncan Clark said that China also boasts the world's largest mobile communications user base, with about 560 million subscribers.

"Now it adds Internet users to its gold medal collection," he said. "While the volume of communications users will continue to boom, the focus now in China will increasingly shift to deriving greater value from these consumers."

Clark said China will become like a "new California," which will help create innovative applications and shape consumer trends worldwide. He said that a strong economy, investments in broadband infrastructure, and consumer demand for online games, instant messaging, online music and video, and other applications have driven increased Internet use in China.

Edited by Bardon