House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Sterling Breaks Down To Below 1.30 To The Euro

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2995

Will it hit parity this year?

If we see a 30% drop in houses prices it probably will.

It'll be weakening in the Euro rather than a stronger sterling that will avoid parity this year, imho...

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2995

Will it hit parity this year?

If we see a 30% drop in houses prices it probably will.

Have to admit RB, this time it looks like the psychological 1.30 has been breached. How long until 1.25?

Have to admit RB, this time it looks like the psychological 1.30 has been breached. How long until 1.25?

IMO, sterling is holding on because the traders believe, or seem to believe, in Brown's ability to maintain house prices at current levels without a significant crash. When the property market does start to tank Merv will be ordered to target house prices and follow Ben in a series of fruitless and counter-productive cutting.

In the meantime, sterling is still dropping quite rapidly:

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2987

Poblem is they have to turn this around, defaults will occur no matter what they do now. Its gone for too long now time to hike.

Edited by crash2006

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2982

Meltdown going on. Must be the huge inflation increase announced today in the EZ (3.3%). This means Trichet should be hiking--he certainly wont be cutting and that will keep the Euro soaring.

Edit: GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2980

Its a stone

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2977

Tiiiiiiiiimberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Realistbear

This means Trichet should be hiking--he certainly wont be cutting and that will keep the Euro soaring.

And Darling will demand IR cuts to keep the housing from crashing - after all, UK inflation is under control

Is it the EZ CPI or something else?

Something else, I think. Sterling's dropping against CHF, JPY, USD and EUR. It's possible everyone's moving into the Euro, but also possible something smelly is about to come to light.

Did a quick calculation. Converted the euros into French Francs. (1€ = 6.5 francs approx).

Shockaroonie !!!! :o

£1=8.38 French Francs.

I used to think that the parity UK=France was about 9.5 or 10 francs to the pound. In those days, everything seemed about right on both sides of the channel. ie. in the 90's, when I moved to France.

At 8.38 france or 1.29€, this is some serious devaluation. :o:o:o

Anybody else think so ?????

Something else, I think. Sterling's dropping against CHF, JPY, USD and EUR. It's possible everyone's moving into the Euro, but also possible something smelly is about to come to light.

Its heading toward 1.28 quite rapidly:

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2945

The traders usually get the information first. Perhaps an announcement coming this wekend about one of our banks going rocky?

Something definitely must have spooked it for it to crash so quickly through the 1.30. Any traders out there know more than speculation?

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2938

Bad news to be released after trading closes in NY?

Did a quick calculation. Converted the euros into French Francs. (1€ = 6.5 francs approx).

Shockaroonie !!!! :o

£1=8.38 French Francs.

Hmmm thanks for the conversion. I used to think 1:10 about right but recently the UK has been looking very expensive so some kind of devaluation of the pounds is in order. Still it won't do much for expat Pensioners and people buying property in France... which in turn will have an affect on French property prices. Should take the froth off the Haute-Savoie market.

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2928

:o

RB, your sig worries me. Methinks you might have caught the same virus as eric? If it starts becoming alternating colours I am going to ring NHS Direct on your behalf.

RB, your sig worries me. Methinks you might have caught the same virus as eric? If it starts becoming alternating colours I am going to ring NHS Direct on your behalf.

Yup! Its catching. There was a time when we may have thought Eric and CGNAO were a bit extreme. Not anymore. :o

I am wondering if my prediction that house prices will fall 50-60% in this country was a bit too tame. If we go into a depression phase house prices could drop well over 70%. I am wondering if next week might see the beginning of the long awaited commodities bust? Recession is now 100% certain guaranteed--even Bush admits it. With recession a cert depression becomes a possibility. Depression means deflation and a sniff in that direction is a sell order for anyhting that has inflated during the Brown miracle years.

Edited by Realistbear

GBPEUR=X 1 14 Mar 1.2909

Sterling seems to be losing 10 pips every 10 minutes or so. This is a rapid descent that suggest there is some news that is not good for Gordon out there.

Sterling is also dropping vs. the $ and is heading back toward 2.01

GBPUSD=X 1 14 Mar 2.0210

Yup! Its catching. There was a time when we may have thought Eric and CGNAO were a bit extreme. Not anymore. :o

I am wondering if my prediction that house prices will fall 50-60% in this country was a bit too tame. If we go into a depression phase house prices could drop well over 70%. I am wondering if next week might see the beginning of the long awaited commodities bust? Recession is now 100% certain guaranteed--even Bush admits it. With recession a cert depression becomes a possibility. Depression means deflation and a sniff in that direction is a sell order for anyhting that has inflated during the Brown miracle years.

Have to admit, for the first time today, I began to look at 6 and 12 month fixed rate bonds for my STR fund. I have been loathe to do this preferring to have the option of instant access to my fund but I am begining to think differently as of this week.

Are You 'kin sure RB ?

Edited by Minos

Guest vicmac64
Spanish and Irish banks anyone ?

I read a report on Bank of Ireland which allegedly said that 70% of their loans were on commercial and private property UK and Ireland. This is a massive exposure to something that looks like it is going into freefall.