House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Confounded

Markets Just Crashed!

That was not a crash - a crash is c 20%.

That was most likely a 'getting rid of soft longs.' Note the S&P did not break 1270 again - the Jan 22 low.

Certainly, if it does and closes below then all bets are off and market will go down a further c 10-20%. But it didn't and hasn't during the last week even though it tried 3 times AND the ¥ keeps getting stronger.

I do not believe this market wants to fall over. I believe it wants to rise.

That was not a crash - a crash is c 20%.

That was most likely a 'getting rid of soft longs.' Note the S&P did not break 1270 again - the Jan 22 low.

Certainly, if it does and closes below then all bets are off and market will go down a further c 10-20%. But it didn't and hasn't during the last week even though it tried 3 times AND the ¥ keeps getting stronger.

I do not believe this market wants to fall over. I believe it wants to rise.

FP, quite right it is not a crash but 300 points in tens mins was a little more than they were will to leave to find out if it was just "soft longs" being shaken out.

As I have said before there is a scenario where the SM will rise and that is when the moral hazard situation takes hold. The market is desperate to fall and had it been left to it own devices my belief is the crash would have been a while ago and bigger than 30% You need to understand the market is being prevented from falling rather than wanting to rise. They would not be giving away all these freebies to shore up the market if they felt like you the market wants to rise under it’s own steam.

If we get a crack up boom then your target of 15,000 may be a little tame!

The Fed will intervene before long if the drop becomes too pronounced. Wouldn't put it past them to announce a cut in interest rates today if it gets too ugly. Looking after their banker chums is their no.1 priority.

Edited by RajD

The Fed will intervene before long if the drop becomes too pronounced. Wouldn't put it past them to announce a cut in interest rates today if it gets too ugly. Looking after their banker chums is their no.1 priority.

?

They have and are intervening as we speak. I not sure how much longer cutting interest rates will work with the Dollar becoming a big issue. They are between a rock and a hard place, we a getting close to crunch time!

Watching that cramer loose it on CNBC is so funny. Would have been better if he was,nt on the phone.

Time to look at that video on You Tube again

?

They have and are intervening as we speak. I not sure how much longer cutting interest rates will work with the Dollar becoming a big issue. They are between a rock and a hard place, we a getting close to crunch time!

Sorry. I should have been clearer - I meant intervene again today - if stocks (and confidence) drop too much

Watching that cramer loose it on CNBC is so funny. Would have been better if he was,nt on the phone.

Time to look at that video on You Tube again

No worries, it's in my sig.

Does anyone think there were any shenanigans re (1) the S&P announcement yesterday saying we're through the worst of the sub prime write downs and (2) the 'surprisingly' good cpi figures released earlier today both of which caused a market spike before they had to release the bad news on Bear Stearns?

Seconded. The amount of misinformation seems to be so great I'm about to become totally paranoid. Did you hear the Bear Sterns yesterday saying they had $19bn in liquidity?

Seconded. The amount of misinformation seems to be so great I'm about to become totally paranoid. Did you hear the Bear Sterns yesterday saying they had $19bn in liquidity?

Thirded!

There is nothing manipulative, underhand, deceitful, fraudulent even, that will not be used to prop up the markets. They will argue that the end justifies the means as many have before - but they will remain as wrong as ever.

How one gets at the truth in the face of this overload of misinformation is another matter.......

They found the resources to correct it but how much longer can the control this mess?

We have half an hour or so before they pump it up above 12,000 for a good close to settle the world markets on Monday.

Be worried if today is the day they fail!

DJ INDUSTR AVERAGE (DJI:^DJI)

Index Value: 11,848.84

Trade Time: 6:30PM

Change: 296.90 (2.44%)

Prev Close: 12,145.74

Open: 12,146.39

Day's Range: 11,835.97 - 12,193.61

52wk Range: 11,634.80 - 14,198.10

Volume: 225,327,440

Anyone think we may be facing GD2?

DJ INDUSTR AVERAGE (DJI:^DJI)

Index Value: 11,848.84

Trade Time: 6:30PM

Change: 296.90 (2.44%)

Prev Close: 12,145.74

Open: 12,146.39

Day's Range: 11,835.97 - 12,193.61

52wk Range: 11,634.80 - 14,198.10

Volume: 225,327,440

Anyone think we may be facing GD2?

Just noticed after I wrote my last comment the market took a step down, they will have to step in soon or they will loose all the ground they made with their 200 billion gift, very expensive to go nowhere!

I do!

^vix is over 32 and yen/dollar below 100 and gold over usd1000 and TNX 3.427 and a lot of red splat on the pages.

I think ppt will stop the sandp from falling below 1270 support level though.

Asian markets should be interesting Monday, with all those lovely dollars they own.

We have half an hour or so before they pump it up above 12,000 for a good close to settle the world markets on Monday.

Agreed. However, with 45 mins to go, the S&P has held 1270. This is really important.

Almost to the minute, up over 140 points already from the low, they may try for a 350 point reversal and go for positive although I think they will be doing well enough to move it above the physiological 12,000.

Expect a Warren Buffett or rescue plan rumor for the gains.

They haven't used the 'Bin Laden is dead' one for a while ...

Fair point, I was getting a bit disappointed with their creativity, but given the they a preaching to the converted with so few retail investors they don't need to be convincing.

Almost to the minute, up over 140 points already from the low, they may try for a 350 point reversal and go for positive although I think they will be doing well enough to move it above the physiological 12,000.

Expect a Warren Buffett or rescue plan rumor for the gains.

Now over 12,000 just need to hold it there and it will stabalise the World markets on Monday.