House Price Crash Forum
Guest_chris c-t_*

Usd Currency Intervention

A token amount of the above would be my guess.

Very difficult to know but I'd go for that too if at all: the US want to devalue, and the only two banks that have credibly beaten the markets (e.g. Hong Kong and Japan) don't seem to mind a bit of inflation!

It could all be hype.

A token amount of the above would be my guess.

Presumably this wouldn't be the Fed then? They would have to print the dollars to buy the dollars. :lol:

it wont be the fed doing , it will be the bank of japan or the ecb.

japan relies on exports to keep its economy going and the yens gained about 20% in value over the past 6 months so their prices have just risen 20%.

you slave away for years to keep costs low then find that your prices end up rising rise 20% in one fell swoop beyond your control.

the thing that may prevent intervention is actually political. it hypocritical to tell china to strengthen their currency when everyone else is intervening themselves to weaken their own currency.

Why do it?

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/43771/bank...;hindering.html[/url] )']Bank bailouts: helping or hindering? 13.03.2008 by Adrian Ash

<super-snip>

...if the authorities sat on their hands during this crisis, the fiscal cost might equal one per cent of GDP, the World Bank report suggests. Donning a cape, tights and mask instead – and pretending they can unwind the mal-investments caused by record low-interest rates from the Fed after the Tech Stock Bubble burst – the cost may rise 60 times over.

That's more than a 98% saving, if only the G7 authorities would sit back and let the failed banks fail.

<snip>

There again, it is moneyweek, and Adrian wants to sell me some gold.

Take a look at a EUR/USD chart for the last hour (since the US consumer price data). (mine is a spreadbetter so can't link to it).

There seems to be some very erratic movement but in a tight range of 20-30points, as if Euro wants to go up but is being knocked back down. Not at all the usual pattern. I think something may be going on in that market right now.

Why do it?

There again, it is moneyweek, and Adrian wants to sell me some gold.

however you need to look at the wider economic cost of letting things collapse - argentina, russia.....