House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
grey shark

Mp's And The " John Lewis " Perks List

MPs under fire over 'John Lewis list'

ITN - Friday, March 14 06:53 am

MPs are coming under more pressure over their expenses after it emerged they can claim up to £22,000 to kit out second homes with luxury goods.

The taxpayer-funded perks mean they can claim up to £10,000 for a new kitchen and £6,335 for a bathroom suite.

MPs can also take advantage of their Parliamentary allowances to claim back £300 for air-conditioning units and £750 each for televisions and hi-fi units.

The items are contained in the "John Lewis list" - so-called because it is based on prices at the department store - which Commons officials use to approve or reject MPs' expenses claims.

The document was not even known to most MPs until recently because the Commons authorities feared they would take advantage of it and claim the maximum amount available.

Limits include £200 for a nest of tables, £500 for a dressing table, £550 for a fridge-freezer and £200 for a kitchen blender.

Carpets and wood flooring can be bought at £35 per square metre. Up to £300 can be claimed for a rug, £795 for a sideboard and £700 for a wardrobe.

MPs can also buy DVD players costing up to £270 and claim it back, as well as dry cleaning "within reasonable limits".

The document says that John Lewis is used as a guide because it "came out top of all retail shops" in the February 2007 edition of Which?, on cost, customer service and variety of goods.

The TaxPayers' Alliance said the prices were out of reach for many voters.

The campaigning group's chief executive, Matthew Elliott, said: "John Lewis is a fine store, but it is hardly the cheapest place to purchase household goods.

"How many ordinary taxpayers spend £1,500 on a TV and stereo when there are cheaper deals elsewhere?

"No wonder the Government wastes so much money, if MPs don't have to stick to a tight budget themselves."

Labour MP David Winnick urged a review of MPs' expenses to look into the price list.

"It does look rather expensive for a number of items and obviously the public will say: Why should John Lewis be the benchmark?" he said.

"The public need to be absolutely reassured that MPs are not exploiting the situation."

The release of the list comes amid heightened scrutiny of the issue of MPs' £135,000-a-year expenses in the wake of the Derek Conway affair.

The Members' Estimate Committee, chaired by Speaker Michael Martin, is currently conducting what it calls a "root and branch review" of the regime which may lead to reform of the Additional Costs Allowance (ACA).

Nothing like a nice perk or freebie ;)

For what it is worth I buy most of my electronics from John Lewis, they have staff who know what they are talking about (usually) and I find their prices at least competive with the rest of the market. The main difference is that they sell less of the 'really' cheap brands than the likes of Comet do.

And up until recently (I have noot needed to buy anything recently so this may of changed) but they give you an extra years guarentee for free.

For what it is worth I buy most of my electronics from John Lewis, they have staff who know what they are talking about (usually) and I find their prices at least competive with the rest of the market. The main difference is that they sell less of the 'really' cheap brands than the likes of Comet do.

And up until recently (I have noot needed to buy anything recently so this may of changed) but they give you an extra years guarentee for free.

You're so posh.

The MP's have been lining their pockets for decades.

No one else gets this kind of allowance for doing their job. If they need a second home, then they should be provided with a council house near Westminister where the rent is covered by the taxpayer.

The benchmark should be the 'Lidl List', or the 'Argos List', then MP's might be a little closer to the way many of their constituents live They can install their rugs and shredders in their room in Badger House, the new 'hall of residence' style block which should be built for them in one of London's grittier areas. Keep 'em all in one place; lights out at 11pm and no drunken antics with the fire extinguishers.

So they are talking about MPs' "Fitting Out Your Second Home Allowance"

What about their other allowances? Such as...

"Buying Your Second Home Allowance"

"Employing Other People/Family to do Your Job For You Allowance"

"Flying Round The World And Staying In Expensive Hotels Allowance"

"Dining Out Allowance"

"Taxis and First Class Travel Allowance"

"Motoring Allowance"

"Consituency Expenses Allowance"

"General Expenses Allowance"

And all the other perks and allowances only they know about?

For what it is worth I buy most of my electronics from John Lewis,

For what it's worth i ran a secondhand furniture/house clearance business for almost 20 years and got it all for nothing ;)

Could of kitted out these MP's 2nd homes with really nice gear for less than a grand , but i doubt it would of been good enough for them , even if it was i suppose there'd want a receipt for it all :rolleyes:

You're so posh.

Posh!? me!? No, don't be daft, I don't often get mistake for that! :)

But wanting reasonably quality stuff that is not going to fall to bits within a couple of years with a free extension to the guarentee seems sensible if you ask me.

If you compare the prices John Lewis are no more expensive than anywhere else (if they were don't worry I would buy things elsewhere) assuming you are comparing like with like. I also like talking to staff who know more than be about these things, I have had numerous experiences in Curry's Dixons etc. where the staff would have been unable to plug the appliance in, let alone know anything about the features.

That said, top of the range John Lewis IS expensive and I see no reason why tax payers should be funding MP's to choose from the top ranges of John Lewis when they do plenty of cheap stuff too.

If anything should ver have kickstarted a protest this is it.

They're living in the lap of luxury for free. IMO all expenses and perks should come from party coffers. If The home secretary, or any MP for that matter needs a home outside her constituency the Labour Party should buy/rent her one, if she needs to send mailshots to her constituents the Labour Party should pay for postage. The taxpayer should not be funding ANY of this.

If you live within an hour's commute of London, then you should have your annual rail pass paid for, and you can commute in the cattle trucks like everyone else does, if you live beyond that, then you get your travel paid for, and like Juvenal says, you get a room in a halls of residence, with all the same trappings as a student - 3 ft bed, 1.5 metre of desk space, a lamp, a chair, 6 ft of bookshelves and a wardrobe, and and a "pod" to do your ablutions in. When Westminster is closed down for the summer break, they can be rented out in the same way as university halls are - for conference and holiday accommodation, the revenue of which would go to covering the costs of the MPs when they're in residence.

Their second homes in London are supposed to be because their sessions can go on until the wee small hours (although it's not often you about instances of that anymore). I understand that if you come from a constituency from "up north" that you need accommodation in London, but unless you're moving your whole family down to London (which then means you wouldn't well be able to represent the concerns in your constituency) there's no need to have a plush pad- unless of course you have a mistress to keep (haven't had a good bit of sleaze for a while - must be due some soon)

Another reason why our MP's are so disgusting. I am appalled, however i am not surprised. We struggle to buy one house, they have 2 and we pay to furnish them. How do they get away with it.

"I want a brand new house

And a bathroom I can play baseball in

And a king size tub big enough

For ten plus me"

"I'll need a... a credit card that's got no limit

And a big black jet with a bedroom in it

Gonna join the mile high club

At thirty-seven thousand feet"

"Sign a couple of expense forms

So I can eat my meals for free"

"Gonna date a centerfold that loves to

Blow my cheesed1ck for me"

Hey, Hey I WANNA BE AN MP! :angry: :(:blink::lol:

The MP's have been lining their pockets for decades.

No one else gets this kind of allowance for doing their job. If they need a second home, then they should be provided with a council house near Westminister where the rent is covered by the taxpayer.

Sod that. The basement of the HoP will do.

At the risk of getting flamed, I do have some sympathy with the MPs here.

I had a 2nd (rented) home for a couple of years when working abroad. The expense allowances were pretty much aligned to what MPs are getting, and in some cases went further eg. allowance for a cleaner. The point was that I should not be materially out of pocket as a result of needing to have a 2nd home and working away.

What I don't have sympathy with is the lack of transparency and the treatment of this stuff as "an allowance" rather than "as expenses" ie. genuinely spent stuff whilst executing a public office and entitled to be reimbursed, and MPs that live near to London cashing in as well.

I had a 2nd (rented) home for a couple of years when working abroad. The expense allowances were pretty much aligned to what MPs are getting, and in some cases went further eg. allowance for a cleaner. The point was that I should not be materially out of pocket as a result of needing to have a 2nd home and working away.

What I don't have sympathy with is the lack of transparency and the treatment of this stuff as "an allowance" rather than "as expenses" ie. genuinely spent stuff whilst executing a public office and entitled to be reimbursed, and MPs that live near to London cashing in as well.

I understand what you are saying, however the numbers we are talking about are beyond what most would spend on their own first home (if we can afford one!). There has been a complete breakdown of trust between us and those that are supposed to be representing, and working for, us. :angry:

I understand what you are saying, however the numbers we are talking about are beyond what most would spend on their own first home (if we can afford one!). There has been a complete breakdown of trust between us and those that are supposed to be representing, and working for, us. :angry:

Should we not conduct thorough physical and mental health checks on MPs before letting them make decisions on our behalf? For example I would not want a deranged LSD-addicted pilot flying the plane I was in; given the power MPs wield why don`t we introduce rigorous testing before granting them access to office?

Also, lie detectors should be made compulsory when vetting expenses. :ph34r:

Who chose to work abroad?

Who chooses to be an MP?

Why should we pay for them to have a better 2nd home than many peoples 1st homes?

I could easily spend the £22k allowance doing up my home this year and then the same next year having sold the previous £22k's worth of goods for £11k.

This is complete and utter theft of TAX payers money.

Who chose to work abroad?

Who chooses to be an MP?

Why should we pay for them to have a better 2nd home than many peoples 1st homes?

I could easily spend the £22k allowance doing up my home this year and then the same next year having sold the previous £22k's worth of goods for £11k.

This is complete and utter theft of TAX payers money.

With respect, I think you are ranting a little bit.

I chose work abroad and part of that decision was that I knew I would not be out of pocket.

MPs choose to serve their community and the principle that they should not be out of pocket is sound.

If my company said "stay in a hall of residence" I would tell them to go jump - that is not the sort of quality of life that I expect nor that which I provide myself. Likewise I'm sure most MPs would say the same if they were asked to stay in a B&B.

Abuse of this expenses system, I think we are all agreed on, is wrong, but conceptually it is not entirely flawed.

Agree 100% with that.