House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benj

The Hpc Crossword

Morning, slackers!

For a bit of diversion from the doom and gloom and heated debates on this beautiful spring morning, allow me to present to you the housepricecrash.co.uk cryptic crossword - in which every clue points to a poster on the HPC forums:

hpc_crossword-1.png

You can also get a version in TIF format for easy(-ish) printing - and I've attached a PDF version and even an Excel spreadsheet which can be filled in on-screen:

hpc_crossword_xls.zip

hpc_crossword.pdf

The Rules:

• As mentioned, every word in the solution is the name of a poster on this site.
  • The clues follow standard cryptic crossword conventions as far as possible, except that in some cases it's just impossible to provide a definition word (because how would you define something like "Optobear" anyway?)
  • I've left people's screen names punctuated exactly as they appear on the forum, even if they've run a lot of words together into one. By way of example, "Frank Hovis" would be (5,5), whereas "thedebtisreal" would be (13) and not (3,4,2,4).
  • To simplify matters, I haven't included any usernames with numbers (sorry mfp123) or excessive punctuation (sorry ?...!). Every square in the solution contains a regular old letter from A to Z.
  • There is no set of "easy" clues. Sorry! :rolleyes:
  • Please don't post any answers or spoilers on this thread, because that will ruin it for everyone!
  • When you've got them all, PM me with a list of your answers. The first correct solution I receive will win... erm, something. :lol:

Ready... set... go!

hpc_crossword_xls.zip

hpc_crossword.pdf

Hi Benj

Great Crossword

Well, so far I've managed to get 24 down ( **e **s*** ***i* )

Only 50 to go ...... I think I'm going to need some clues!

M21er

Morning, slackers!

For a bit of diversion from the doom and gloom and heated debates on this beautiful spring morning, allow me to present to you the housepricecrash.co.uk cryptic crossword - in which every clue points to a poster on the HPC forums:

You should have warned us not to write the answers on the screen. It's going to take me all day to clean it up.

Whooo hoo, I'm in there (and I learnt something as well).

Benj have you got far too much free time? are you a genius? or is there some sneaky tool which helps in constructing crosswords?

Peter.

You should have warned us not to write the answers on the screen. It's going to take me all day to clean it up.

LOLOL :lol:

Benj have you got far too much free time? are you a genius? or is there some sneaky tool which helps in constructing crosswords?

In my first draft of this, 34 across was "Has too far much free time (4)". ;) But I rejigged it a bit after that and then I no longer fit... and no, I am not a genius, and no I don't have a sneaky tool - just a text editor, GNU grep, and a good thesaurus!

Glad you folks are enjoying it anyway.

73 across: Shirtless carnivore pollutes thread with spoilers, we hear (8)

Carnivore?

While the polar bear is mostly carnivorous and the giant panda feeds almost entirely on bamboo, the remaining six species are omnivorous, with largely varied diets including both plants and animals.

Actually, my elder son was asking what bears eat, so thanks for reminding me to look it up,

Peter.

Carnivore?

Dammit dammit dammit!

Thanks BP, you just reminded me. There is an error in the clue for 30 down. It should read "Tease 12 across for herbivorous drink". I spotted that last night but forgot to change it!

Edited to add that I've now fixed that in all the images and attachments.

A shameless bump, for the lunchtime crowd. No-one has sent me a solution yet, so there's still a chance to win the big prize!

Very impressed

Thanks Durch!

OK you got me, this is really just another bump to put this back on the front page.

Did anyone get 50 across yet? That was my favourite :)

Thanks Durch!

OK you got me, this is really just another bump to put this back on the front page.

Did anyone get 50 across yet? That was my favourite :)

Is it ***?

Edited to protect the innocent :)