House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheer Heart Attack

Facebook

Facebook's awful. At the missus's behest, I went on it for four weeks because she loves it so much.

What a waste of time. I got contacted by a load of people I knew from school and others I'd never even heard of. I've got friends from school still - I'm lucky to have a nice little social/drinking circle - I'm not in touch with the ones from school on Facebook because I didn't like them in the first place. Mentally and physically, they're stuck in a little Northumbrian town still.

I deactivated my account today. Great stuff - I don't like being rude and I felt bad when I ignored people's pokes and messages because I frankly couldn't be hassled with them.

It did get me thinking. Is this is a sinister plot to stop people meeting each other in the real world? NuLab's assault on pub culture over the last 3-4 years could form part of the same pattern.

Do the leaders want us to be disconnected little androids in our overpriced shoeboxes whose social life is carried out by computer messaging where the content of conversation is inane, non-political ********?

Facebook's awful. At the missus's behest, I went on it for four weeks because she loves it so much.

What a waste of time. I got contacted by a load of people I knew from school and others I'd never even heard of. I've got friends from school still - I'm lucky to have a nice little social/drinking circle - I'm not in touch with the ones from school on Facebook because I didn't like them in the first place. Mentally and physically, they're stuck in a little Northumbrian town still.

I deactivated my account today. Great stuff - I don't like being rude and I felt bad when I ignored people's pokes and messages because I frankly couldn't be hassled with them.

It did get me thinking. Is this is a sinister plot to stop people meeting each other in the real world? NuLab's assault on pub culture over the last 3-4 years could form part of the same pattern.

Do the leaders want us to be disconnected little androids in our overpriced shoeboxes whose social life is carried out by computer messaging where the content of conversation is inane, non-political ********?

I recently found myself in a situation very similar to yours regarding face book. Opened and account and started a "face book - idiot magnet" group. No takers unsurprisingly. My profile was crammed with anti face book hatred and bile on every available field. It angered me so much I closed the account after a few days.

I recently found myself in a situation very similar to yours regarding face book. Opened and account and started a "face book - idiot magnet" group. No takers unsurprisingly. My profile was crammed with anti face book hatred and bile on every available field. It angered me so much I closed the account after a few days.

Facebook (and Friends Reunited) are dross: Friends U. is populated mostly with people who seem to be living some kind of fantasy: big car, big house. successful `career` etc (and no I`m not jealous before you start :P)

Facebook is worse: it just seems to be a way of drinking people`s time without them realising. SO many of the applications are just inane drive, but people still trawl through in the hope of finding something `interesting`.

I have a Facebook account, but I do not use it as I have got better things to do (like watching Jeremy Kyle!!!!!) :o :angry: :rolleyes::unsure::blink::P:lol:

I'm not going anywhere near these social networking sites - don't like the privacy implications. I can't believe how naive some people are when it comes to putting really personal information about their lives on it. Sadly, one of my former students was murdered last year in Italy. Within hours of the news breaking, the media had raided her Facebook site, published pictures from it and other details. They even used details she gave about her degree course to target myself and her former lecturers and tutors, ringing them up and trying to pump them for information.

If, God forbid, I fall under a bus, am stabbed in the street by a skunk-crazed chav or whatever, the last thing I would want is that sort of stuff suddenly being broadcast. I have my own personal website containing professional information which I'm content for the public to know, but after last year's experience I always apply a 'Would I be happy for this to be broadcast if I'm murdered tomorrow?' test before adding or modifying any information on it. Apart from that site, I try as much as I can to avoid any non-work related information about myself from getting onto the web.

Faceparty is another one and i meet the boss who is a ginger beer and during a up market party that he organised he used the service of Boy George and had a good time with him after the party apparantly.

the offices of Faceparty looks like something out of horror movie and one room is nothing but bright floresent yellow with a crooked door.

Who these people can make money beats me but they do.

Hehe! Lovin' your work, fella! :lol:

Guest KingCharles1st

I know that I'm a bit of a left field guy at times, but I found Facebook to be purile in the extreme- I have never experienced such a complete and utter load of b0llocs in my life.

I think it's inhabited by people with nothing better to do with their time- sad, really sad...

I axed my account after a couple of weeks- i really started to get a little worried by the fact that someone- anyone, could tag into your account because they knew somebody, or somebody else- or somebody else- or- well- basically,the uninvited walking in your front door- feck that for a game of soldiers...

I am responsible for 70 staff, Facebook, msn messenger, myspace, ebay, youtube etc cost my company thousands every week for lost time and Facebook and youtube with the abilty to download videos is a friggin nightmare and with facebook, when someone gets a funny!! Video they pass it to everyone else at work and my server goes to sleep.

My IT Bod recently found me some fantastic software that can pick and choose what sites they can access, you can even target specific pc`s.

I have started with Facebook and msn messenger and everyone now knows I am serious, they also know we have the abilty to see what sites they are on during my time.

I don`t mind a bit of surfing but I need them to work hard and produce whilst I spend too much time on HPC.co.uk :lol:

I quite like it.

If you can get beyond the constant stream of invitations to blow werewolves or whatever it is people do, then it can be a useful additional way to keep in touch with people.

I use it for:

- "at a glance" catchup with people to see what they are up to (more being nosy than anything)

- administering a dead-pool that we have runnnig - useful way to store information in private groups

- occasional group activities that need logistical organisation - the calendar/event functionality is ok

It absolutely does not replace real contact, although some people seem to think it does...

I am responsible for 70 staff, Facebook, msn messenger, myspace, ebay, youtube etc cost my company thousands every week for lost time and Facebook and youtube with the abilty to download videos is a friggin nightmare and with facebook, when someone gets a funny!! Video they pass it to everyone else at work and my server goes to sleep.

My IT Bod recently found me some fantastic software that can pick and choose what sites they can access, you can even target specific pc`s.

I have started with Facebook and msn messenger and everyone now knows I am serious, they also know we have the abilty to see what sites they are on during my time.

I don`t mind a bit of surfing but I need them to work hard and produce whilst I spend too much time on HPC.co.uk :lol:

Facebook should be renamed `Identibook` as it makes it so easy to nick someone`s id: if you`ve got a birthday, a photo and some other details from FB, it`s really easy to start applying for credit cards (especially if you use the person`s details to obtain fake id ,e.g.driving licences over the internet).

Once you`ve got that in place it`s just a matter of opening shed loads of bank accounts, credit card accounts etc etc.

You can then carry out various nefarious activities while operating under someone else`s ID.

Remember what mummy said: NEVER TALK TO STRANGERS! ;)

Ah Facebook

I was invited by a friend of mine to join this social networking site... and joined.

It was initially very frustrating with all the applications, someone wants to hug you, someone wants to kiss you, someone wants to know how you are feeling???????? someone wants to poke you... sod off.

What I have managed to do is delete all of these stupid applications.

I have stopped all the blummin e-mails that clog my inbox up, telling me that I have been invited for this or that, like I wouldn't know when I log on.

I have blocked everybody on the site from seeing anything about me, just my friends can see my profile.

I have stopped even friends from seeing my online status.

I have a few friends and family on there and what's more, I do know them all.

The status updates... what they hell are they all about? Suchabody is feeling blue because it's raining outside... who cares?

I feel that it makes folks feel better about themselves the more 'friends' they have, it's like it validates their existance by having 700 'friends'. I am rude, if I don't want someone added I just click on ignore. I worked with some woman who I knew but just to say hello to when she was in the office. She never approached me to speak with me and I never did the same. I found it really odd that she then invited me as a friend on facebook, I clicked on ignore and then a couple of months later she sent me another invite! I clicked on ignore again. Strange that she never spoke to me in work but wanted me as a 'friend' on facebook. If anyone invites me as a freind and I have never heard of them then I just click on ignore. The site can be whatever you want it to be because it does have all the settings so you can stop the wingnuts from accessing your profile. I have had to mail my friends and tell them to take off their personal details due to the identity fraud issue which I was surprised they had put on in the first place. I also know some couples on there, are they sat on the setee at home both on the site, not talking to each other?

I have been found by someone on the other side of the world who I haven't seen for years and that was brilliant.

I think that so long as the brain cells are in full operation and you're not indulging in all the silliness and dumming down techniques on there then it's okay, you've just got to view it as an extended inbox and don't be scared of ignoring people, if you wanted to speak to them you would.

WGA

Oooh, social networking, blogging, and all that crap... don't get me started...

Oh, you have.

Well, I can safely say I'm not a member of any of these dozy sites. Quite simply, those who matter know how I'm feeling, know what I'm up to, and can contact me whenever they want. Those who don't, can't. I like it that way.

Social networking is all about two things...

1 - Genital Enlargement

Oooh, we can all tell each other how wonderful we are, and about all the stuff we've got. Oooh. And again for effect, oooooh. It's a great chance for those who aren't secure enough in their own actions to post them up for all to see in the vain hope that some other bugger will affirm them for them.

2 - Fishing for sympathy

Woe is me! Isn't it terrible! Someone give me a hug. Oh, get over it! There are plenty of aspects of life that blow chunks, and you've got two choices - give it your all and help yourself, or whine like a gross of 737s and hope someone comes along and holds your willie \ holds whatever part women might need holding during the excretion of unwanted fluids. Social networking panders to the latter. A lot. A hell of a lot.

Hell, why did I say "two things". It's one thing. It's all about ego. Regardless of whether punters are lording it or lying prostrate in hope of a sympathy bang, it's all about ego padding.

*cough*

There's also the issue of honesty. I mean, does anyone believe these bloody things are even remotely accurate? Come on... For example, if I was to write my "what I did today" (and yes, this is accurate), it would read something like...

Got up, got dressed, made a coffee, smoked a fag, spoke to boss. Fiddled about with some SQL Server databases for a few hours, scratched ********, spoke to boss. Drew a few conclusions about earlier database fiddling, wrote some scripts, resolved to run them during a quiet period. Had lunch, scratched ********. Spoke to other boss about some new functionality for an hour, agreed. Made a load of notes about said conversation. Saw Bear Stearns had done a Northern Rock, contemplated opening NS&I account on Monday. Reviewed some code. Stopped work, and did HPC crossword, got stuck on a few tricky ones. Went to chinese with missus, bought duck and some other stuff. Came home and ate Chinese, finished crossword, realised answers were slightly ******** but PM'd Benj with them anyway. Opened bottle of red and chatted with missus. Put missus to bed and played PotBS for a bit, posted this. Planning to scatch ********, listen to the cricket, play a bit more PotBS, then go to bed with missus. Mood = same as usual, I'm a bloke, I don't have periods, what do you bloody expect?

Hardly inspiring, is it? I wonder how everyone else manages to have such Thrilling Lives? Oh, no I don't. They just lie about them.

So, to conclude, sex is more fun than logic. We cannot prove this, but it is, in the same way that Mount Everest is, and Alma Cogan isn't. Goodnight.

Oooh, social networking, blogging, and all that crap... don't get me started...

You've been bitten by Bosworth through Werewolves Attack! To defend yourself click Here! and start biting other chumps!

Enjoy it! It's the new social paradigm.

Not.

I'm not entirely convinced that social networking websites are part of some grand conspiracy however I do think they are an interesting development worthy of study.

For those of you interested in the conspiracy angle then you may find this an interesting read:

http://www.larouchepac.com/files/pdfs/0711...pac_myspace.pdf

Many of you are probably familiar with the writing of Tom Hodgkinson (The Idler ect). Here is his take on Facebook:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

In my humble opinion the popularity of on-line social networking is a clear indication of just how socially alienated we have become. Many people struggle to form meaningful social bonds out there in the real world so they escape into the comfort and safety of the Internet.

Also what I have noticed in recent years is just how unsatisfying social discourse has become. Of course this may be all down to my lack of social skills but what I find is that people don't listen to what you are saying. They interupt you in the middle of a sentence and try to conclude the point you are making, or they interupt with their own point. A lot of what passes for conversion is nothing more than the exchange of well worn cliches - one only has to overhear conversations in public places to appreciate this process.

So what happens on a personal level is that we feel the true essence of who we are - our uniqueness is unable to be articulated in everday social discourse. Even our closest friends are unlikely to appreciate us for the totality of our being. When faced with this situation we may innitially take it upon ourselves to look for new opportunities to meet new people. However this only serves to reinforce our sense of social isoclation because it soon becomes clear that the decline in the quality of social discourse is more widespread than we first considered. At this point we are likely to conclude that something is fundamentally wrong with society and increasinlgy withdraw as a result.

This is where the Internet comes into it's own. All of a sudden we discover that there are other people out there who share all our wierd and wonderful interests. That gut wrenching sense of isolation we feel outside the front door is replaced by a warm glow of connection to our fellow man. From the perspective of our ego this is 'mama from heaven'. Our dark and deepest thoughts find true expression in the form of a blog and as we eagerly read the replies we again feel connected to something outside of ourselves. As the opportunities to publically connect with people in a meaningful way continue to decline so use of the Internet will become more entrenched.

Facebook is an application invented by the secret services to gather information on people. Now since 'they' can't get to everyone ('they' just don't have enough resources) 'they' need to be able to focus their efforts in order to control society. Who do 'they' need to take out / deal with in order to control the people? Simple, 'they' need to target the most connected individuals, the people who are most able to spread revolutionary talk etc. All those people with thousands of facebook friends are showing up on the radar of the security services as people who may be subversive in the future if things get unstable. Seeing the sort of people who have thousands of facebook friends, maybe this is no bad thing. ;)

facebook is as good as the people you know. If you have a large number of friends that are in the habit of occasionally sending spam emails facebook will annoy you, the site is as good as your friends. I ended up meeting up with half the year from school at the tail end of 07 which wouldnt have happened without FB, it was incredibly enlightening, its easier to keep track of whats going on, when various friends are heading back to the UK, and for sharing photos. The other applications are pants but at least you can lock it all down. I shudder to think how many hours we all spend on HPC doing armchair economics, at least you know the people on FB ;p