House Price Crash Forum

On my way back to Bristol Airport, stopped at Weston Super Mare for a coffee.

What a hellish place.

All the way down the main road from the M5, is an American Interstate version of our debt ridden consumer society.

Cardboard box executive gettos in spitting distance of the road (and each other).

Retail Parks, supemarkets and junk food outlets.

And just to make ot perfect, a landfill site in the middle to put all the garbage in.

Yuk. I was expecting a 1950's Dick and Dora bucket and spade town.

Last went to Weston Super Mare 20 years ago as a teenager. Frankly it was hellish even then (but for entirely different reasons). My chief memory was that it was like a slightly less run down version of Rhyl (another family favourite) and had the biggest snails I'd ever seen.

Still good to hear that age has not improved it.

Weston Super Mud Flats.

Clarence Park (dog s**t park) used to be the worst ground on the First Class County Cricket circuit. Read Simon Hughes book a 'Lot of Hard Yakka' to see how much the pros used to love playing there.

Edited by up2nogood

What a hellish place.

All the way down the main road from the M5, is an American Interstate version of our debt ridden consumer society.

Cardboard box executive gettos in spitting distance of the road (and each other).

And just to make ot perfect, a landfill site in the middle to put all the garbage in.

I thought that it was one big retirement town, thats what it seemed like when i was there about 8 years ago cruising up and down the seafront in a mates 'tuned' car B) until they put the barriers up to stop anymore 'cruising' miserable old farts!

Edited by HenryWeston

I thought that it was one big retirement town, thats what it seemed like when i was there about 8 years ago cruising up and down the seafront in a mates 'tuned' car B) until they put the barriers up to stop anymore 'cruising' miserable old farts!

Also, for some reason, it's big on drug & alcohol detox and rehab centres - a little downmarket of the Priory, though!

Guest Mr Parry

What a hellish place.

At the moment I have a choice. Either live and work in Stratford East London or work out of my office in W-s-M. I have chosen the seaside.

Yes. This is one big dump. An extraordinarily corrupt council has brought this place to it's knees. The development plan is a joke. It is run down and dying.

"Cardboard box executive gettos in spitting distance of the road (and each other)." This is Weston Village. Built/slapped together in the early part of the new Millenium, this gerbil hutch slum is founded on marsh land. If you drove down that dual carriageway before the development, it was like driving through the Great Lakes.

Even more hilarious are new build flat developments on the mudfr . . . I mean seafront. 2 bed "apartments" were selling for £325k not so long ago!

Most people either work for the council or are on benefits. They are desheveled, anemic, monosyliblic creatures. There is no future for them.

It has the greatest concentration of "drug rehabilitation centres" in the whole of Eurpoe, 65 at the last count. Drug abuse here is at epidemic levels. Clear to see whilst even driving to Asda. The burden on the local tax payer must be astronomic.

One tends not to venture out after dusk in fear of ones personal safety. Viewing through the window of a locked car door, it's like watching Dawn of the Dead . . . or even Shaun of the Dead. Friday and Saturday nights are especially entertaining.

However, it's better than where they are about to hold the Olympics. That really is a dump.

Ah Weston-Super-Mare. Home of the sewerage outflow by the beach and herion capital of the West.

A top tip is to go down to the far end of the beach. The area around Uphil and the hospital is really nice with some good walks and a few decent pubs. Don't make the mistake and go in the opposite direction to Sand Bay though. That's where the local yoof go "shagging" of a Friday night.

Edited by ImA20SomethingGetMeOutOfHere

Ahhh, Weston-super-Mare - A pal of mine at school used to go there on holiday every summer so I always thought of it as a quaint British seaside resort. Visited it for the first time a couple of years ago - how wrong I was. I was staying overnight for a conference and went out for a meal on my own. Complete louts crowding the streets (it was winter). On my way back to the hotel after an haute cuisine "Macdo" I noticed lots of people walking around or stepping over a body in the middle of the pavement. Bloke seemed to be either completely out cold or dead. No-one seemed to care, so being the good citizen that I am I thought I'd check to see if he needed any medical assistance and I thought I might call an ambulance. So, I tried to wake him but got nothing although he seemed to be breathing. Being a highly trained medic I thought I really ought to make sure he wasn't in a coma or something - so I kicked him - he stired, I asked him if he was alright, and he hiccoughed and went back to sleep. Wonderful place.

Edited by mikthe20

However, it's better than where they are about to hold the Olympics. That really is a dump.

:lol: couldn't agree more, I still can't believe they are going to hold the Olympics here, anyone that commutes through, and lives near Stratford knows what a nightmare it will all turn out to be :blink:

I can remember being horrified by both Weston-super-Mare and Minehead when I went there as a child.

Cleethorpes had much the same effect on me.

I think my Grandma stood in an oil slick, in WsM front nearly 40 years ago. Then again that might have been Bude.

Edited by rover2000

Guest Mr Parry
:lol: couldn't agree more, I still can't believe they are going to hold the Olympics here, anyone that commutes through, and lives near Stratford knows what a nightmare it will all turn out to be :blink:

When I'm there, I stay at this good little hotel on the Romford Road. Sirens every two minutes guaranteed. Murder squads a regular sight. Hookers, hoodies and kebab shops. Behold rest of world. A shinning example of modern Britishness.

Saying that, over the past five years in W-s-M we have seen the introduction of:

1. Lap dancing venues

2. Brothels

3. Street hookers!

Weston is a good example of what Blair's bunch have reduced this country too - a morally corrupt pit!

On the flight back to Glasgow, the easyJet pilot apologised for the slight delay, which was due to some fog.

Then he added that at least we wouldn't see Weston-super-Mare as we fly out.

Honest.

Edited by Shoeshine Boy

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Stratford went down fast after I left never to return in 1968. :rolleyes:

In the 1950s it was great place, the High Street Market and Historical Angel Lane were very vibrant places, how things always take a turn for the worst. :(

Cookes pie and mash shop.

Cohen`s famous chippy etc etc

Crushed by the bulldozers for the new developement in the late 60s.