House Price Crash Forum
GAL BEAR

Alistair Darling On Radio 2 - Jeremy Vine

Did any of you hear it today ? (at about 12pm)

JEREMY VINE really laid into him.

Basic question over and over again from JEREMY was

WHY THE HELL DID YOU BORROW SO MUCH MONEY AND GET THE UK IN THIS FINANCIAL STATE ?

All DARLING kept going on about was

LOW INFLATION

LOW UN-EMPLOYMENT

LOW INTEREST RATES

It was pathetic when you think of the financial state of the country.

I didn't hear from the beginning but JEREMY asked him why LABOUR had a gone on about TORIES borrowing so much money (when they took office in 97) when they have borrowed even more money than the tories!

JEREMY asked DARLING why in one particular year LABOUR promised to only borrow 13 billion and ended up borrowing about 30 billion! DARLING said that was because of SEPT 11th.

Then JEREMY said "Well what about all the other years" and then he read out every year how LABOUR had promised to borrow say 8 billion and ended up borrowing at least double that!

DARLING was really struggling!

Mind you I really wished JEREMY had challenged DARLING on the old LOW INFLATION chestnut !!!

You can probably listen to it on the BBC2 Listen again.

Sorry don't know how to post a LINK. :(

Edited by GAL BEAR

The lid has been well and truly blown off now. 12 months ago the BBC wouldn't have dared to let this go out on at primetime on a 'mainstream' channel like Radio 2. Now NL and the miracle economy is fair game to everyone. Long may it continue!

The lid has been well and truly blown off now. 12 months ago the BBC wouldn't have dared to let this go out on at primetime on a 'mainstream' channel like Radio 2. Now NL and the miracle economy is fair game to everyone. Long may it continue!

I just wish someone from HPC could interview DARLING live on TV or Radio, someone like FINANCIAL PLANNNER ! Of course I do KNOW this will never happen, but I can dream ............ :P

What makes my blood boil is that it should be gordon brown in the firing line and not Alastair Darling. All that AD has done is inherited a financial mess of gargantuan proportions created by our beloved subprime minister.

Brown is - once again - lurking in the shadows whilst Darling gets it both barrells.

...and now the mayor of new york's wife speaks of her relief that it was prostitues and not an affair, if you have any views on that based on your experience phone us now

:lol:

Well Radio 2 must have had a long overdue bear injection...

Heard Chris Evans on the way home this evening telling some woman to accept less money on her house, keep the sale progressing and for her not to be so greedy....

Did make me chuckle but nearly swerved off the road! :lol:

Darling tried to say at least we don't have 15% rates, Vine said but that was in a recession. You borrowed loads in the good times!

This Lib Dem bloke is talking crap as well. He would have brought the 2p petrol rise in due to global warming urgency. Yawn. These lots are idiots too. Global warming my ass! Then they claim the 2p rise will be given back in the form of other tax cuts. Anyone who believes that is as much of a moron as Darling.

I will NEVER vote Lib DEM they are even worse than Labour! They run my local council and make a hash of doing that.

Edited by Spoony

This is the same BBC that has facilitated the channeling of the best part of £1 trillion pounds of debt onto UK households via the housing market since New Labour came to power is it? I don't remember them asking any questions when the Government was borrowing all this money. They did everything to persuade the public that it was the right thing to do. It's only now when it's all blowing up in the Nation's face that they've turned.

They've got some nerve after their wall-to-wall property ramping schedules and pathetically tepid economic journalism of the last few years.

AD really does get on my nerves.

He was on BBC news this morning and the woman interviewing was asking all sorts of questions adn he just spouts out nonsense answers. It seems like he has about 5 answers set up, and a question comes in and he just spouts out an answer. The best one i heard went something like:

BBC interviewer: We had an e-mail from a pensioner whose heating bill has gone up from £600 last year to nearly £1000 this year. How can you only offer a £50 increase for pensioners winter fuel bills as cost of energy is going up a lot faster than that?

AD: This was an above inflation increase adn remember I have held back the 2p on fuel duty. This was a green budget for the working family.......

I wanted to smack him. The interviewer should have insisted he answered the question. He's such a prat

They've got some nerve after their wall-to-wall property ramping schedules and pathetically tepid economic journalism of the last few years.

I agree, nothing would please me more than see the BBC (and ITV and Channel 4) get into some kind of legal problem due to their constant property ramping programmes. On the plus side, partly because of it I have managed to reduce my TV viewing to about an hour a week of scheduled stuff and I am really wondering about the need for a TV license.

For those that can remember it JV did a show on HPC and FP was on and did a very good job of putting the case for. I know from personal experience that his production team are quite good at getting the zeitgeist and featuring it on the show.

My suggestion therefore - email the show via the BBC pages and suggest they re-visit the HPC question but get the question asked once and for all...

"I will not allow the housing market to get out of control" Gordon Brown 1997 budget speech - so what happened?

Sorry about the abreviations (why is that such a long word?)

BBC interviewer: We had an e-mail from a pensioner whose heating bill has gone up from £600 last year to nearly £1000 this year. How can you only offer a £50 increase for pensioners winter fuel bills as cost of energy is going up a lot faster than that?

AD: This was an above inflation increase adn remember I have held back the 2p on fuel duty. This was a green budget for the working family.......

It was £600 to £1600 if I remember correctly.

Well Radio 2 must have had a long overdue bear injection...

Heard Chris Evans on the way home this evening telling some woman to accept less money on her house, keep the sale progressing and for her not to be so greedy....

Did make me chuckle but nearly swerved off the road! :lol:

Todays featured blog on the BBC homepage is Chris Evans' from yesterday, titled " DON'T PUT 4p on BEER put a fiver on a bottle of champagne. LINK

So here we are in the middle of a credit crisis and what are we doing as a country ?

Borrowing a miilion pounds an hour to balance our budget.

Even as a country we can't keep our credit card in our pocket.

The working man/woman deserves a beer. They deserve two, three, as many as they like. Don't tax them in an effort to curb binge drinking. Ban alcopops and all shots, raise the legal drinking age to 21, accept that alcohol is an addictive drug yet it's legal ! What's going on there.

Tax the rich, I am one, I have always paid all my taxes, I will never forget the tax cheque I wrote out to the inland revenue H.M. Customs and Excise for 12 and a half million quid - I think it's only right. Redistribute the wealth. Fine by me, go ahead, fill your boots.

And House of Commons bar - discounted, honestly, subsidised, what the f*&£.

We have to wealthy people to stop dodging and start paying. We have to pay nurses, firemen and policemen more. We have to figure out how much land there is in Great Britain divide it by the number of people here and give everyone their own bit. Even if we did that with half the land available everyone would be sorted. Most of the historically owned land was won through bloodshed illegality anyway.

Nonsense absolute nonsense.

Let everyone build a home on their own little green patch of God's earth.

Seriously it's not rocket science is it ?

CLP.

P.S. I am not anti labour. I'm anti ignoring the bleeding obvious.

X.