House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheer Heart Attack

" We Accept Euros Only "

Yes, We Take Euros: Riding a Currency Shift

National Public Radio

by Robert Smith

February 27th, 2008.

Billy Leroy has some strange items in his antiques store on Houston Street in Manhattan. A stuffed baboon. A fortune teller booth. A wall-sized painting of Hannibal Lecter.
But it's a hand-lettered sign near the door that reads "Euros Only" that's getting all the attention.
In a country dismayed by the plunging American dollar, that sign could well make this store famous. With the value of the euro above $1.50 for the first time, New York looks like a giant fire-sale for Europeans.
In the mornings, foreign tourists line up outside of stores on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, empty bags at the ready. Leroy is trying in his small way to even the international finance playing field.
The sign went up a few months ago after he returned from an unsuccessful buying trip to France.
"I couldn't buy any antiques at all," Leroy says. "It was impossible to buy something there and re-sell it in America because it's 50 percent more..."
And it's been a great promotion.
Last weekend, 50 percent of his customers were Europeans.
But not everyone is happy with him thumbing his nose at the American dollar.
"I got hate mail saying it's un-American. I wrote back and said 'On the contrary, it's very American. I'm adapting to the times,' " Leroy says.
Leroy admits that he still takes dollars. And he says he isn't exactly cornering the international currency markets. He has only stockpiled about $1,500 in euros. But that's money he doesn't have to exchange on his next trip to France.

World War II couldn't do it. Vietnam couldn't do it. The Cold War couldn't do it.

None of these events could knock America and its currency's pre-eminence in the world.

This is little more than a glorified publicity stunt, it seems. Perhaps like Jay Z waving Euros around in a video of his instead of dollars.

Can America ever recover from the financial tsunami that's sapping its strength and its confidence?

Maybe the USA will join the euro before we do. We should be ready to make the euro fully legal tender here if and WHEN it reaches 1:1 parity with the pound - which doesn't seem inconceivable. If that happens, the currencies can be locked at that rate and euros and pounds could be fully interchangeable anywhere here and then the pound could gradually be phased out. Wonderful solution - a way for UK to join the euro without an expensive changeover or profiteering price rises!

Within the next 50 years it is inevitable that the US and the EU becomes one big bloc. The US, Canada and Mexico will become like the EU first and then they will join the EU. Of course, by then the Sychelles will already be part of the EU.

February 27th, 2008.

IN the meantime sterling is at record lows vs. the Euro and a basket of currencies. I would imagine its Euros only now--until the storm hits them, of course. No one is immune to the Big One.

GBPEUR=X 1 13 Mar 1.3014

14 pips from breaking below 1.30.

Edited by Realistbear

Probably for nannied British citizens that now can not function normally without signs all over the place telling them what to do.

Eat_shit_and_die_sign__by_fanton.jpg

...If that happens, the currencies can be locked at that rate and euros and pounds could be fully interchangeable anywhere here and then the pound could gradually be phased out. Wonderful solution - a way for UK to join the euro without an expensive changeover or profiteering price rises!

Check out the new designs on this year's UK coins - and then tell me it ain't already bought and paid for.

XYY

PS: OK, I'll post a link for all you LAZY BASTARDS, who are TOO BONE IDLE TO LOOK IN YOUR FUKIN POCKETS!!!

Yes, We Take Euros: Riding a Currency Shift

National Public Radio

by Robert Smith

February 27th, 2008.

(snip)

"I couldn't buy any antiques at all," Leroy says. "It was impossible to buy something there and re-sell it in America because it's 50 percent more..."

If this overvaluation of the euro (in terms of purchasing power vs exchange rate) is across-the-board, some parts of the eurozone are going to get absolutely crucified IMO.

Edited by huw

Check out the new designs on this year's UK coins - and then tell me it ain't already bought and paid for.

XYY

PS: OK, I'll post a link for all you LAZY BASTARDS, who are TOO BONE IDLE TO LOOK IN YOUR FUKIN POCKETS!!!

A terrible set of designs.

Not so much aesthetically but that someone was allowed to design coinage without their value displayed as a numeral.

If you want a conspiracy theory; how about redesigning the coinage to make it easier to rip off tourists?

If you want a conspiracy theory; how about redesigning the coinage to make it easier to rip off tourists?

Even my intense hunger for conspiracies didn't spot that one - you are a member of Brown's government, and I claim my five...(insert currency of choice)...

X

Y

Y