House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iamnumerate

Poles Going Home

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7282923.stm

"My wage tripled in two years!" boasts Barbara Wasik, a Polish graphic designer.

But the pay rise was not a result of moving to the UK, instead the money rolled in when she came back home.

Barbara returned at the end of last year, to the job she left in 2005.

She was working for the same employer, in the same town.

There was one big difference though - her pay packet.

Wages in Poland are rising strongly as the economy expands.

Last year wages grew by 6.5%, by comparison pay in France and Germany grew 2%.

And as living standards in Poland improve, life in the UK has become less attractive.

Quality of Life

Barbara worked 12-hour shifts from Monday to Friday for a high street sports retailer.

"Life in the UK was just work. I had no time for myself. Back here I have time for my friends, time for leisure, time to party," she said.

Barbara does not regret her time in the UK, but is happy about coming home.

Wroclaw, Poland

Investment is booming in Wroclaw creating jobs and raising pay

"I used to live in Luton, renting a room with my ex-boyfriend. Here I rent a flat for myself for the same money."

Barbara lives in Poland's fourth largest city, Wroclaw, a town that has benefited from investments from international companies including LG, Cadbury and Volvo.

Jobs and money have flowed into Wroclaw, helping to slow the departure of Poles that took place after the nation joined the EU on 1 May 2004.

Accurate statistics are hard to come by, but it's believed 800,000 Poles moved to the UK in the years after European enlargement.

That prompted headlines in the British press like: "Would the last person to leave Poland please turn out the lights?"

Measuring the numbers returning to Poland is equally difficult, but it is easy to spot the reasons.

Pound problem

Rising wages are one explanation, the currency market offers another.

As Poland's economy grows, its currency, the zloty, has strengthened against the pound.

Monika Jedraszek

Monika Jedraszek left the UK due to the long hours and low pay

"Some of my friends have come back from the UK because of the fall in the value of the pound," explains Monika Jedraszek, a student in Wroclaw.

When Poland joined the EU, the pound was worth almost seven zloty, that has now fallen to just 4.5 zloty, making UK wages less alluring.

Monika lived in the UK for a year, working at a bakery during the day, and in a restaurant during the evening.

The long hours and low wages eventually took their toll, and she decided to head home.

"The standard of living here is getting better and better every year," she says.

"Now we can buy high technology.

"With suitable skills and good education, I can have the best work where I want.

"So why not be close to my family, and step by step we can have a wealthy country as well."

The Ten O'Clock News on BBC One will feature a special report on this issue on Friday, 14 March.

I bet the wasters will stay and we will only lose hard working Poles.

that, plus the romanians

In a few years time the romanians will go home as well - leaving their chavs behind !

My wife is a hard working immigrant and she wants us to go to her country.

Strangely friends of ours who are immigrants but - unlike us - get cheap/free housing do not want to go home .

that, plus the romanians

somebody please explain to me how romania ended up in eu? and why is britain not doing something about the problems they cause here?

somebody please explain to me how romania ended up in eu? and why is britain not doing something about the problems they cause here?

Er, Romanians and Bulgarians might have joined the EU last year but if IIRC they do not have the legal right to work here at the moment.

Er, Romanians and Bulgarians might have joined the EU last year but if IIRC they do not have the legal right to work here at the moment.

FYI, they can work in construction and agriculture but require work permits for other employment sectors. The sensible ones put themselves down for the 5-years-to-become-a-UK-citizen programme from day one.

Btw, there are two types of Romanians: gypsies ("roma") and regulars - and they hate each other. Where a Romanian is reported as committing a crime it's usually a type 1. The regulars resent being lumped in with the roma.

They're going home

They're going home

They're going

The Poles are going home

Three mort..ga...ges hurt

BTL's still empty

etc etc....

:lol:

(can't think of any more words & of course i'll get me coat!)

They're going home

The massive influx of Poles will be non-existent from 2011 onwards - that is when Germany must open its labour market to new EU member states.

There'll be a huge number of skilled Polish workers swapping Manchester or London for Hamburg or Berlin...

There will be no one to put the blame on for the upcoming recession!

and then many hotels, care homes and building sites will be playing the Beatles' song: Get back!

FYI, they can work in construction and agriculture but require work permits for other employment sectors. The sensible ones put themselves down for the 5-years-to-become-a-UK-citizen programme from day one.

Btw, there are two types of Romanians: gypsies ("roma") and regulars - and they hate each other. Where a Romanian is reported as committing a crime it's usually a type 1. The regulars resent being lumped in with the roma.

And the non-crime committing Roma probably hate being lumped in with the "crime committing Roma" ;)

The massive influx of Poles will be non-existent from 2011 onwards - that is when Germany must open its labour market to new EU member states.

There'll be a huge number of skilled Polish workers swapping Manchester or London for Hamburg or Berlin...

and then many hotels, care homes and building sites will be playing the Beatles' song: Get back!

Well maybe by 2011 the Government will be forcing the British workshy to get off their fat,lazy, chav ar*es and find some work.

Perhaps we can attract the Paddies back to the Building sites?

THE POLES ARE NOT GOING HOME, PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE ALL YOU READ ON THE BBC. THIS GOVERNMENT IS IN A COMPLETE MESS WITH RESPECT TO IMMIGRATION AND TRYING TO SPIN ITS WAY OUT OF IT BY USING THE BBC TO PRODUCE NEWS LIKE THIS. YES SOME GO HOME BUT YES ALSO HUNDREDS ARRIVE EVERY DAY BY COACH, AIR, SEA ETC ETC.

Personally I hope the poles stay in the UK, they're hard working honest folk.

I'd rather we do an exchange if Poland are looking for workers & expel all the idle toerags on benefits we're stuck with

THE POLES ARE NOT GOING HOME, PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE ALL YOU READ ON THE BBC. THIS GOVERNMENT IS IN A COMPLETE MESS WITH RESPECT TO IMMIGRATION AND TRYING TO SPIN ITS WAY OUT OF IT BY USING THE BBC TO PRODUCE NEWS LIKE THIS. YES SOME GO HOME BUT YES ALSO HUNDREDS ARRIVE EVERY DAY BY COACH, AIR, SEA ETC ETC.

Sorry to disagree.

Round here PE11 / 12 net flow is currently out for sure.

that, plus the romanians

Hi, I'm a Romanian and I must say I always get warm and fuzzy inside reading posts like the ones above. It makes you feel welcome to this multicultural and tolerant country.

Anyway, better get back to finding some British people whose jobs I can steal and - hopefully at the same time - claim as much benefits as I can.

Do many Poles speak German? I get the impression that most well educated Poles learn to speak quite good English but I've no idea how many speak German. Whilst Germany's obviously a lot closer and might be an easier choice for construction and other jobs where learning the language isn't such a big issue, I would have thought for a lot of other occupations, the UK would still be the preferred destination (extreme economic differences excepted).

Hi, I'm a Romanian and I must say I always get warm and fuzzy inside reading posts like the ones above. It makes you feel welcome to this multicultural and tolerant country.

Anyway, better get back to finding some British people whose jobs I can steal and - hopefully at the same time - claim as much benefits as I can.

at least you admit as much :rolleyes:

multicultural and tolerant country.

Hello and welcome to the UK! Unfortunately the natives are understandably upset about the unregulated

influx of migrant workers, so you will have to forgive us as it is rather hard to be tolerant when multiculturism has been forced upon us.

Enjoy the benefits by the way, you may as well make the most of it as they wont be around for anyone much longer!

what gets to me is the fact that if someone, yeah ok like me, questions or voices their concerns about the influx...we get the old racist card bandied about!!! In Belfast there are eastern european gangs working the streets with the "beeege Is You" mag and I made the mistake of feeling sorry for one such woman who had a child out with her selling this one mag, I gave her a £2 coin and went to take the mag from her...she kept hold of it and started screeching out loud!!!! Some dodgy geezer came running from some shadow and pushed me away shouting something in another language...probably her gang master...anyway I was incensed :angry: she obviously didn't know the "exchange of money for goods/services" that we do in this country and was using the mag to effectively beg on the streets. So for that reason I've now got a set opinion on them. Police didn't give a shit either when I walked past one not too far from where it happened :unsure:

Do many Poles speak German?

There's already about 2 mln of Poles (or people with strong Polish identity) living in Germany, eg. the two best German national footballers Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose are Polish.

The German language is thought as widely as English in Polish primary schools. I'm not saying that after 2011 Poles will disappear from the UK, but the change in numbers of newcomers will be massive.

There's already about 2 mln of Poles (or people with strong Polish identity) living in Germany, eg. the two best German national footballers Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose are Polish.

The German language is thought as widely as English in Polish primary schools. I'm not saying that after 2011 Poles will disappear from the UK, but the change in numbers of newcomers will be massive.

Yes, sounds like you could be right in that case. I like the irony of a sort of reverse invasion - in a nice non-military way obviously - of Germany by the Poles 70 or so years after the event.

What's gonna hold all the flags and street signs up though if all the poles leave?

Man! We're talking here about Poles, people from Poland!! not poles as cylindrical objects. Didn't you know it?! :lol: