House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Hedge Funds On The Brink

Several hedge funds with assets of more than $4 billion (£2 billion) were on the brink of collapse last night or had halted withdrawals, despite moves by the US Federal Reserve this week to ease America’s deteriorating credit crisis with a $200 billion collateral lending facility.

The potential closure of six funds came as a leading private equity executive, who declined to be named, said that such funds were “snapping like twigs”, with one failing every day.

Yesterday Patti Cook, Freddie Mac’s chief business officer, predicted that the Federal Reserve’s $200 billion bond lending facility this week would fail to solve the long-term problem of Wall Street’s deepening credit crisis.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3542723.ece

ING, the Dutch bank, said that it had frozen two investment trusts in New Zealand that were highly exposed to mortgage-backed bonds, blaming the global credit crunch. ING said that the two funds held assets worth €275 million between them.

Balls, I just put 10K of my STR fund into ING today after reading a few months ago an article in Moneyweek saying that ING was safe.

Balls, I just put 10K of my STR fund into ING today after reading a few months ago an article in Moneyweek saying that ING was safe.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like you'd be better off just starting your own bank these days.