House Price Crash Forum
MarkyB

High Performance Cars Taxed To The Hilt

Hi Guys

Just noticed a punishment in the VED bands in the budget this year

your hot hatch will be punished in 2009-2010, for car registered pre March 2006 now included back to 1st March 2001

for CO2 over 226 - From £210 to £415 + :angry:

For CO2 over 255 - From £210 to £440 :angry:

Totally devestated, they have really bum chuffed me here... Time to sell the car, and buy a Pre March 2001 model and save over about 250 per year.

grrrr :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs...pletereport.pdf

Page 131 for the new bands... as if they back dated it, I was quite happy to not buy a new one from March 2006 onwards and stick with the older models but they have really dragged older motors into it now.

I feel sorry for the poeple that buy there cars for the vehicle life time, as they might feel the need to sell it now for a reduced price. My poor old mates grandad with his old jag who only does about 1000 miles a year... FFS... :blink:

Easy to fix

1) buy H reg nova

2) weld baked bean tin to exhaust

3) hammer nails into silencer

4) add badly fitting 'alien smoking spliff' sticker to bonnet

Problem solved.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I do hope the new TATA minicar will be available in Britain soon, or perhaps we should all go to 3 on a moped.

yep... exactly... ridiculous that a feb 01 car will probably end up more to buy than a mar 01 car... shame but true...

how on earth can or should they differentiate?

load of boll**ks if you ask me.

this goverment is a joke

why dont they scrap VED and replace it with a 10 year upfront VED tax.

for example my car is v.efficent and i pay £35PA VED.

a big bad 4x4 pays £215 now.

well if the enviroment was the concern. They would remove VED and slap a 15 year VED tasx on new cars.

so efficent new cars would have 35 x 10 = £525 tax

big dirty cars would have 215 x 10 = £3225 tax

that would make efficent cars better value at the begining so more efficent cars will be bought/built

instead they have a retarded system

I do hope the new TATA minicar will be available in Britain soon, or perhaps we should all go to 3 on a moped.

If Tata do end up buying Land Rover and Jaguar then they can rebrand the Tata minicar the "Jaguar" minicar and all MarkyB's mate's grandad's problems are solved. :rolleyes:

its easy money

they know these cars will not be scrapped, so its guaranteed income.

outragous... wrong place at the wrong time again... what a bloody joke.

Well, I drive a year 2000 BMW 530d auto which has a 2926cc diesel. engine. Just escapes both the £25 Kengestion Tax as it's pre 2001 & under 3000cc, & also now escapes the more punitive VED. Might just be keeping it a while - wonder how much it's increased in value today!

OK, this may be a stupid question, but how do I know what the emissions are? I bought a Rover 75 diesel estate 2004 recently, but on looking at the V5 document the only reference to CO2 emissions says 0.043 which doesn't seem to relate to anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Heh, my '98 Rover soldiers on. And I can still look forward to getting that P6 3500 ;)

Are 25 y/o or more classics still exempt? My 1968 Rover 2000 was. :rolleyes:

its easy money

they know these cars will not be scrapped, so its guaranteed income.

outragous... wrong place at the wrong time again... what a bloody joke.

Are you seriously saying with a straight face that you couldn't see this coming for at least the last 5 years? I'd personally like to see VED scrapped and whack it all on fuel, but Prescott was flying this kite about 5 years ago so it can't be a suprise.

In any event, an extra £200 a year if you kept that car for another 5 years would only be £1000. Hardly worth selling and buying a different one I wouldn't of thought?

Are 25 y/o or more classics still exempt? My 1968 Rover 2000 was. :rolleyes:

It's been frozen as "pre-1973" since 1998. No prizes for guessing which dour Scottish con artist came up with that one.

OK, this may be a stupid question, but how do I know what the emissions are? I bought a Rover 75 diesel estate 2004 recently, but on looking at the V5 document the only reference to CO2 emissions says 0.043 which doesn't seem to relate to anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Try here

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearch.asp

Rover, being defunct, is not on their drop down list. But I think I've run it to earth as 163 - which sounds about right.

In the budget: p131

With effect from 1 April 2009 for corporation tax purposes and 6 April 2009 for income

tax the capital allowance treatment of business cars will be reformed. Expenditure on cars

with CO2 emissions above 160g/km will attract a 10 per cent writing-down allowance (WDA)

and expenditure on cars with CO2 emissions of 160g/km or below will attract a 20 per cent

WDA. The rules disallowing a proportion of car lease rental payments will also be reformed in

line with the new capital allowances rules. The 100 per cent first year allowance for qualifying

expenditure on cars with very low CO2 emissions will be extended until 31 March 2013, and

the qualifying CO2 emissions threshold will be lowered to 110g/km. The 100 per cent first year

allowance for infrastructure expenditure on equipment for refuelling vehicles with natural gas

or hydrogen will be extended to 31 March 2013. The scope will also be expanded to include

biogas fuel. (40)

This minute micro-management fiddling has got Browns sticky fingerprints all over it!!

Rover, being defunct, is not on their drop down list. But I think I've run it to earth as 163 - which sounds about right.

In the budget: p131

With effect from 1 April 2009 for corporation tax purposes and 6 April 2009 for income

tax the capital allowance treatment of business cars will be reformed. Expenditure on cars

with CO2 emissions above 160g/km will attract a 10 per cent writing-down allowance (WDA)

and expenditure on cars with CO2 emissions of 160g/km or below will attract a 20 per cent

WDA. The rules disallowing a proportion of car lease rental payments will also be reformed in

line with the new capital allowances rules. The 100 per cent first year allowance for qualifying

expenditure on cars with very low CO2 emissions will be extended until 31 March 2013, and

the qualifying CO2 emissions threshold will be lowered to 110g/km. The 100 per cent first year

allowance for infrastructure expenditure on equipment for refuelling vehicles with natural gas

or hydrogen will be extended to 31 March 2013. The scope will also be expanded to include

biogas fuel. (40)

This minute micro-management fiddling has got Browns sticky fingerprints all over it!!

So how is the private usage adjustment going to work for said 10% pool :blink:

im saying I thought the increase had already come last year hence buying the car 6 months ago... ive got 18 months to sell the car, so it doesn't bother me today... what bothers me is its affecting the resale value of my car...

And thinking about it, to be honest if i have to drive around in a gas guzzler thats heavy, to stop some twit in a 306 killing me and all my passengers (hopefully the 8 airbags might have something to say about that)... then so be it, but I don't think there should be a cost to safety, being AWD large and safe.

For your info I drive an AWD 3.0 x-type Jag myself, can honestly say its the safest car ive ever drove in all conditions and im not to sure of other cars with 8 air bags that are available in that range that fall in a lower CO2 bracket?

do you get 8 airbags in a C2 hdi? Oh.... but the CO2 is low. ffs dim wits

I really wonder how the government justifying this when in america they buy new twin cab pick ups for fun with V10's and V12's... are our 60m population really going to save the world?

Can't see then cruising down route 66 in a C2? do you?

Heh, my '98 Rover soldiers on. And I can still look forward to getting that P6 3500 ;)

My Dad had a Talbot Avenger (or more accurately a Hillman Avenger). Two in fact.

First one was a nice turquise colour, rusted through very quickly. Second one he bought in a rush. My Dad is colour blind so rather unfortunately it was flourescent green. I remember my embarassment as friends laughed when he drove it home first time.

Still he's got a funky new sherry-coloured Meriva now with alloys and smoked windows. 1.4 litre. Surprisingly nice. Mum insisted - She's obviously got better taste than Dad.

Edited by nmarks