House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ologhai Jones

The Effect Of The Budget On Hpi

I wondered if there was any mileage in an 'Effect of The Budget on HPI' thread as a kind of running discussion as 'the drama' (*yawn*) unfolds! :)

Edited by Ologhai Jones

A FTB just sent an email to the BBC and was read out by Jenny Wossname. The FTB wants Darling to help her onto the ladder by changing/removing Stamp Duty for FTBs...

As if scrapping Stamp Duty would actually make it easy enough.

Incidentally, I was pleased to see (when the BBC's coverage began at 11.30) that one of the guest is MoneyWeek's Merryn Somerset-Webb... but they've so far asked her one question, and allowed to speak for a whole sentence about 45 mins ago...

The BBC correspondents are getting all the air time.

A FTB just sent an email to the BBC and was read out by Jenny Wossname. The FTB wants Darling to help her onto the ladder by changing/removing Stamp Duty for FTBs...

Meanwhile in the boardroom of Midwest Bank Plc.....

Director #1 - "The chancellor has just scrapped stamp duty for FTBs!"

Director #2 - "Really, gosh that's interesting"

D#1 - "Shall we loosen our lending criteria and raise the multiples of salary they can borrow?"

D#2 - "You're fcking joking, right?"

D#1 - "Yes! Hahahaha!"

D#2 - "Hahahahaha!"

Let them scrap it - when the 3 bed semi I have my eye on falls to 120k, it's less I need to give to feck face Broon.

More proof - if any were needed - that Darling lives in another dimension:

# The British economy will continue to grow, he said. "This Budget is about equipping Britain for the times ahead...about building a fairer society," he said.

# Mr Darling said Britain was more resilient and more prepared to deal with global shocks.

All I hear is "stability stability stability stability ". This is from the government who have caused the biggest house price bubble in history, have paid £110bn for a busted subprime lender and who are lying through their teeth about inflation.

People of Britain, I hope you're satisfied.

For environmental reasons, fuel duty will rise by 0.5p per litre in real terms. He said he was postponing the 2p increase in fuel duty until October this year.

what does raising by 0.5p in "real terms" mean? Just 0.5p + VAT or 0.425p + VAT ????

Scrapping stamp duty would make it easier to buy because it would reduce up front costs. However I agree with you that it would just encourage more people to take on more borrowing than they can afford!

Guest An Bearin Bui

Good - because house price affordability constraints aren't about buy-to-let investors, speculation, lie-to-buy and mortgage fraud, it's just about the stamp duty. Just wait and see the buyers pile into the market now once stamp duty is abolished for FTBs and interest rates are cut back to 4%!

....[thinks]....

Hold on, hasn't the Irish government had stamp duty exemption for FTBs already for the past few years and didn't they just cut the overall rate of stamp duty for all buyers last year? That didn't stop Irish house prices from falling at the fastest rate (7%) in Europe in 2007 though... looks like the VIs will have to come up with another cunning plan... :lol::lol:

Scrapping stamp duty would make it easier to buy because it would reduce up front costs. However I agree with you that it would just encourage more people to take on more borrowing than they can afford!

I expect that sellers would simply up their prices by whatever the stamp-duty was,

Peter.

Meanwhile in the boardroom of Midwest Bank Plc.....

Director #1 - "The chancellor has just scrapped stamp duty for FTBs!"

Director #2 - "Really, gosh that's interesting"

D#1 - "Shall we loosen our lending criteria and raise the multiples of salary they can borrow?"

D#2 - "You're fcking joking, right?"

D#1 - "Yes! Hahahaha!"

D#2 - "Hahahahaha!"

THAT is pretty funny.