House Price Crash Forum

Just Got Back From A Trip To Poland

boo

HOLA441

Hi

Just got back from Krakow yesterday and had an interesting chat with the cabbie taking me back to the airport.

He said that friends he has who are working in the UK are all planning to come back this year, most of them find the UK too expensive and the exchange rate with the zloty is nearly a third less than 2 years ago. He said the euro 2012 is another reason for them coming home.

Also noted that there are lots of new flats and houses being built around Krakow, he said lots of people were taking credit from the bank to build houses, he seemed to think that this was crazy - maybe people in poland dont normally take out mortgages

On another note the house price crash doesnt seem to be happening in South west london, friends of mine have just had an offer on their 2 bed workmans cottage in teddington for the asking price of 380,000. This is basically a 2 up 2 down - very disappointing

HOLA442

Yesterday there was a program on BBC2 about Poles in the UK - i think it was mainly around Peterborough. I only caught the second half of the program.

None of the Poles that were here planned on leaving.

They all get paid lot more than in Poland, they get council housing, kids get free education, free health service etc.

HOLA443
Yesterday there was a program on BBC2 about Poles in the UK - i think it was mainly around Peterborough. I only caught the second half of the program.

They all get paid lot more than in Poland, they get council housing, kids get free education, free health service etc.

1. Was talking to a polish software developer, jobs in the capital are now almost as well paid as the uk, but the cost of living is alot less.

2. Poland has social housing

3. Free education in poland (much better than the UK)

4. Free health service in poland (National Health Fund), and if your paid well private is alot cheaper and better.

Edited by moosetea

HOLA444

I do wish that people would stop jumping on the latest news report about the intentions of a few Polish people, and then extrapolating this to either:

"all the Poles are going back to Poland soon" or "all the Poles are going to stay in the UK" or whatever.

as if all or most of them are subject to changing their minds about their individual lives on the basis of that latest "trend".

There are supposedly, what, half a million over here?

Last month, there was a headline about how, for the first month in four years, slightly more were recorded leaving than arriving. Slightly. For one month.

This was universally reported as if it inevitably presaged all of them leaving!

Its ********.

HOLA445
HOLA446
"all the Poles are going back to Poland soon" or "all the Poles are going to stay in the UK" or whatever.

Yes, it's certainly a massive oversimplification. However, it's no more so than the stories we regularly hear regarding the extrapolation of other trends.

As far as European migration trends are concerned, it's a bit pointless considering them until 2009 anyway, as the number of available destinations will change pretty dramatically at that point.

HOLA447
about a year ago there was a story on Slate.com by some teacher (I think) about how all the Mexican children that were previously in her class in Southern California had all suddenly disappeared. If I find the article I'll post it.

Gobblers??

HOLA448

I don't think I'm alone in thinking we are fortunate to have immigration and in particular the Polish coming to the UK.

Faced with the mindset of many the UK, where it's the governments responsibility to house, cloth and feed you, oh and maintain you with a diet of cheap fags, beer and Jeremy kyle. We should think ourselves lucky that these people are coming to raise the bloody gene pool. :ph34r: I'm quite serious

As it is, we have an entire social structure on the brink because of succession's of poor parenting, poor education and a general selfish attitude.

We see it everywhere in society.

Sign of the times when an avid right winger (me) has to defend immigration doesn't it?

HOLA449

Brown's Britain. Just think about it--who on earth would want to live here?

His ideas about celebrating Britishness is the very antithesis of what Britishness is all about. Understated pride in country that does not require micromanaging interferrance from fools.

The collapse of the economy is a good thing as it will rid us of Brown, Britishness and Bullsh*t.

And..I kid you not..I attended a seminar last year where Brown's top "Britishness" advisor spoke. He suggested that we adopt a new patron saint in the place of George, Andrew, Paddy etc: Saint Aiden. Talk about out of touch with the people.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4410
Brown's Britain. Just think about it--who on earth would want to live here?

His ideas about celebrating Britishness is the very antithesis of what Britishness is all about. Understated pride in country that does not require micromanaging interferrance from fools.

The collapse of the economy is a good thing as it will rid us of Brown, Britishness and Bullsh*t.

And..I kid you not..I attended a seminar last year where Brown's top "Britishness" advisor spoke. He suggested that we adopt a new patron saint in the place of George, Andrew, Paddy etc: Saint Aiden. Talk about out of touch with the people.

Anyone else noticed a distinct change in the nature of Realistbear's posts?

For the whole time I've been on this forum his innumerable posts have followed a standard format.

Quote some obscure source, then add a comment and a headline that twists completely the tone of the original article. Then leave everyone else to discuss it.

Yet suddenly, he's started getting chatty!

I'm almost starting to believe the idea that RealistBear is actually a committee chaired by PropertyGuru!!! :rolleyes:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I don't think I'm alone in thinking we are fortunate to have immigration and in particular the Polish coming to the UK.

Faced with the mindset of many the UK, where it's the governments responsibility to house, cloth and feed you, oh and maintain you with a diet of cheap fags, beer and Jeremy kyle. We should think ourselves lucky that these people are coming to raise the bloody gene pool. :ph34r: I'm quite serious

As it is, we have an entire social structure on the brink because of succession's of poor parenting, poor education and a general selfish attitude.

We see it everywhere in society.

Sign of the times when an avid right winger (me) has to defend immigration doesn't it?

I don't think it's down to the gene pool, more to the psychological war through the media and the social engineering. The Poles who should settle here will soon catch up with us on that front, starting with their kids.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1. Was talking to a polish software developer, jobs in the capital are now almost as well paid as the uk, but the cost of living is alot less.

2. Poland has social housing

3. Free education in poland (much better than the UK)

4. Free health service in poland (National Health Fund), and if your paid well private is alot cheaper and better.

They also have to pay tax to the polish government on what they earn in the UK. They are not happy bunnies. Most of the poles i talk to are considering returning home and who can blame them.

HOLA4415

The most important point made in this thread is about the East European currencies, they are either in the Euro, fixed to the Euro, move in a very narrow band to the Euro, therefore the remittances back home are falling. A Czech guy I know was telling me about it BUT his home town is economically still in an appalling state and he has just landed a much better paid job that matches his qulaifications now he is fluent in English.

Edited by Abteilung

HOLA4416
Anyone else noticed a distinct change in the nature of Realistbear's posts?

For the whole time I've been on this forum his innumerable posts have followed a standard format.

Quote some obscure source, then add a comment and a headline that twists completely the tone of the original article. Then leave everyone else to discuss it.

Yet suddenly, he's started getting chatty!

I'm almost starting to believe the idea that RealistBear is actually a committee chaired by PropertyGuru!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't post on this shit site again if you paid me

HOLA4417

Whenever I read these debates I am reminded of the amount of British Labour that went to Germany in the late 1970's and early 1980's when our economy was really in the drain. There was a lot of German animosity towards our labourers but the overwhelming majority eventually went home....when the UK economy picked up. Sure a few people stayed (I know some) but I would like to bet that the same will happen in the UK with the Polish and other immigrants.

Edited by bearish_rat

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Hi

Also noted that there are lots of new flats and houses being built around Krakow, he said lots of people were taking credit from the bank to build houses, he seemed to think that this was crazy - maybe people in poland dont normally take out mortgages

Yes. It's very typical in Poland for land to pass down the generations and for each branch of the family to build their own property on this land. Certainly outside of Warsaw and Poznan mortgages and credit in general is not typical.

My grandfather came over to England during the war but I'm still in touch with around 60 members of his family who still live in Poland (one has moved here). They all, without exception have built there own houses.

Whilst I admire the work ethic of those that are here, make no mistake that they have feckless youths there too. They're just too lazy to get off their backsides to come here.

I'm sure that those of us who work hard to provide for our families would follow the money and move if we could no longer provide basic needs to our dependents. The Jeremy Kyle lovers would stay here however.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I don't think it's down to the gene pool, more to the psychological war through the media and the social engineering. The Poles who should settle here will soon catch up with us on that front, starting with their kids.

Yeh, they will all adopt our secondhand USA culture.

Baseball caps, burgers, rap music, graffitti, and gangs.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Yes, it was part of a BBC series of programs that were supposedly about the state of the UK's white working class majority but in fact ended up retreading the same tired themes if Islam, Easter European immigration and all the other crap that makes the unoriginal, talentless middle class twats at the Beeb wet their knickers.

HOLA4425
Yes, it was part of a BBC series of programs that were supposedly about the state of the UK's white working class majority but in fact ended up retreading the same tired themes if Islam, Easter European immigration and all the other crap that makes the unoriginal, talentless middle class twats at the Beeb wet their knickers.

I thought it was a good programme. But I suppose Polish TV is a lot better! :lol: And you don't need to buy a licence.