House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Budget Tomorrow - Nil Stamp Duty For First Time Buyers

The Tory and LibDems' shadow chancellors are given a high profile platform to respond to the budget. Hopefully we will see Vince on top form tomorrow again, where he can warn the uk populace of the impending doom.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did. It would be interpreted a sign of extreme desperation though.

No chance, the government are strapped for cash enough as it is. Unless of course Darling has been taking a leaf out of the Mugabe book of economic management.

No chance, the government are strapped for cash enough as it is. Unless of course Darling has been taking a leaf out of the Mugabe book of economic management.

I have to agree, from what I have read he just can't afford to give any tax breaks.

Have to agree on that. They are *seriously* strapped at the moment.

From what the BBC are peddling at the mo, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a series of pointless unfunded green "initiatives", a bit more tax on fags n' booze, and... erm... that's about it.

Outside bet? Dropping the planned 2p rise on fuel duty... pretty sensitive spot at the moment, that.

If I were Darling, I would give the 0% stamp duty relief to FTBs. Why? Because it wouldn't cost me much because the banks aren't lending to FTBs anyway.

Very disappointed this is a hoax! Made an executive decision last night that we would buy our first place August 09 - we've had enough of our overly useless Jim-won't-fix-it landlord but don't want to move to another rented place - too disrupting for baby M. I know the "bottom" of the market might be a few years away, and we may be buying while prices are still relatively high (although lower than current ;) ) but we've done our sums, have a 10% deposit, and will be able to afford another child, while paying our mortgage, bills, etc, etc. It would be nice to have somewhere not covered in wood chip!

Hopefully we will see Vince on top form tomorrow again, where he can warn the uk populace of the impending doom.

A good orator and good wit, but I do shudder when he comes up with solutions

Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman Vince Cable says Mr Darling should go further in helping homeowners, and introduce a rescue plan to help households struggling to meet their mortgage payments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7289238.stm

Very disappointed this is a hoax! Made an executive decision last night that we would buy our first place August 09 - we've had enough of our overly useless Jim-won't-fix-it landlord but don't want to move to another rented place - too disrupting for baby M. I know the "bottom" of the market might be a few years away, and we may be buying while prices are still relatively high (although lower than current ;) ) but we've done our sums, have a 10% deposit, and will be able to afford another child, while paying our mortgage, bills, etc, etc. It would be nice to have somewhere not covered in wood chip!

I must be getting past caring.

If I am snoring I get relegated to the fourth bedroom. To be honest, I spend a lot of time in there. It has rabbits and other gooey things for young children on the curtains. I could not care less.

The study I am typing in now has white walls and awful brown/beigge floral curtains. On a certain level, I dislike them. On another level, I couldn't give a monkeys.

I have bought and done up a number of houses in my life. And always done them up to be pristine - great kitchens, bathrooms - tasteful (well to us) decor etc. I don't recall being any happier after doing up a house than before - other than being glad to be out of the mess.

I find renting gives you a new perspective. I am giving less and less of a monkeys about property as every month goes by. Recently ran the idea past my wife of renting until we retire (probably 10 years away) and using the income from the invested STR fund to rent places in all the parts of the world we still want to visit (or visit again.) So, instead of a month in New Zealand, we could have a year. Instead of a visit to Canadian Rockies we could live there for 6 months etc.

It appeals a lot more to me that looking at colour charts again. I'm good with white, or magnolia, or any other inoffensive colour.

I must be getting past caring.

If I am snoring I get relegated to the fourth bedroom. To be honest, I spend a lot of time in there. It has rabbits and other gooey things for young children on the curtains. I could not care less.

The study I am typing in now has white walls and awful brown/beigge floral curtains. On a certain level, I dislike them. On another level, I couldn't give a monkeys.

I have bought and done up a number of houses in my life. And always done them up to be pristine - great kitchens, bathrooms - tasteful (well to us) decor etc. I don't recall being any happier after doing up a house than before - other than being glad to be out of the mess.

I find renting gives you a new perspective. I am giving less and less of a monkeys about property as every month goes by. Recently ran the idea past my wife of renting until we retire (probably 10 years away) and using the income from the invested STR fund to rent places in all the parts of the world we still want to visit (or visit again.) So, instead of a month in New Zealand, we could have a year. Instead of a visit to Canadian Rockies we could live there for 6 months etc.

It appeals a lot more to me that looking at colour charts again. I'm good with white, or magnolia, or any other inoffensive colour.

Yes, however when the wallpaper is peeling off the walls because it's so old, when you have a kitchen wall falling in and you can move it with a small push because some uPVC idiot took out the lintel(?), when you have floors that are a danger because of uneven splintering floorboards - that's when having your "own" place becomes more attractive! Don't get me wrong - renting has been a far better option for us over the past few years - much cheaper than IO mortgage, and we have been happy here, but there comes a time when basic repairs need doing and our landlord refuses to!

A good orator and good wit, but I do shudder when he comes up with solutions

Spot on. Am I the only one who agrees totally when Cable analyses a problem with our economy then wonder how he can come up with something as totally stupid as the nationalisation of Northern Crock. Liquidate it.

Edited by IP Newcomer

Firstly define FTB, when you attempt that then the proposal falls flat on its face. CGT et al spring to mind.

FTB is a meaningless term. We were defined as "FTBs" having STRd and then returned to the market. We dutifully paid our £40K stamp duty.

FTB seems to be EA slang for anyone who doesn't have to sell but does have to arrange a mortgage.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if he stood up and said "There's been a bit of a f**k up so I'm not doing anything in case I make things worse" and sat down again.

p-o-p

Given the amount of activity in the Treasury this week I'd think that our favourite startled badger is going to offer several knee jerk reactions that, ultimately, will lead to nothing. IMO.