House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Central Banks 100 Billion Bail-out

I started one here, but really only with the purpose of pointing out what it meant, rather than the details of it...

The point is they need more money next time, i think the fed will up it too 300 billion next time round.

I think there have been so many bailouts of different types today that this one may have been missed in the flurry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7289815.stm

Yep, that is the one. It happened early this morning and poor Declan was getting very excited on News 24 as the FTSE soared apparently. I have not checked since so it is probably down a few hundred points now. The central banks have put 100 billion - not sure if it is bucks or pounds - into the system that banks can draw upon.

There were rumours last night of one bank in NY going bust so maybe that prompted it - if one went then it would be domino season.

There were rumours last night of one bank in NY going bust so maybe that prompted it - if one went then it would be domino season.

That'd be Bear Stearns. They don't seem to have gone bust just yet, but they're seeming quite shaky. Problem is, there's so many rumours flying around that it's hard to separate the meaningful stuff from the rubbish at the moment. I remember storiies that Lehmans were about to go under in the 1998 mini-crunch but they turned out to be totally bogus for example.

That'd be Bear Stearns. They don't seem to have gone bust just yet, but they're seeming quite shaky. Problem is, there's so many rumours flying around that it's hard to separate the meaningful stuff from the rubbish at the moment. I remember storiies that Lehmans were about to go under in the 1998 mini-crunch but they turned out to be totally bogus for example.

Not at all - they very nearly did go under. As for Bear Stearns, they are only alive because they are being propped up by the Fed - much as NR was being propped up by HMT.