House Price Crash Forum

'not So New' New Homes For Sale!

MattW

HOLA441

Carrow Rd, Norwich

The original developer did a runner 2 or 3 years ago as he owed quite a lot of money on building them. :lol: I think he wanted £250k + for them back then. :blink: I remember talking to my mum about these houses and she says that they don't even have any double glazing in the windows! :o

Built right up against the pavement and a flux of football fans striding right by the windows every two Saturday afternoons. Fantastic.

HOLA442

Firstly, Welcome MattW!

Didn't know the original guy did a runner, but am not surprised...

The thing is though, comparatively, they're still a bargain - which would you go for? One of those, or a two bed flat overlooking the football ground for about the same price? The correct answer of course, when confronted by the choice of two evils is to say no to both. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to shift these ones.

At least they're easy to locate, and work out the addresses for - I can't manage to work out head nor tail of the endless flats by the football ground - when looking on Nethouseprices it's impossible to get any idea of how much these properties are actually selling for (and that's if you can find a rough address to start with!)

HOLA443

Thanks for the welcome w&s. :)

I never thought to compare the prices of these against the 2 bedders by the football ground. :blink: At least with the houses, there isn't ground rent or an expensive service charge to pay either. :) Nices houses - but I don't think my double bed will go up the spiral staircase. :o

The 1st block of flats right beside the football ground comes under 'Geoffrey Watling Way'. I think the other blocks that stretch around the South Stand come under a different name. Not sure how good nethouseprices.com is but the one that I refer to: ourproperty.co.uk doesn't state how large the flats are. There can be a gulf of around £70k+ between the studio flats and the 2 bedders. IIRC, the studios started selling for around £100k. Bryant are having trouble shifting the studio plots @ £118k+ , so it seems.

HOLA444

I keep on putting dumb mare things like the obvious "Carrow Road" option, or Kings St, so thanks for the Geoffrey Watling way tip!

Like you say, the price of a football ground flat isn't the last of it - which makes them even more expensive still!!

We have a relatively conventional house, and had trouble getting the mattress up the stairs (mainly due to ceiling height at one particular point), so I don't know how people manage spiral staircases either (unless they hoist them up and go thru the window a la Amsterdam). We've since learnt that it will unzip into 2 pieces - here's hoping I remember that nugget of info when it comes to moving out!!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445

Cobblers Mews flats

NR3 4RD. Not sure if this is one plot or a number of plots as Bryant are a bit vague and confusing with all their brochure PDFs. Did start @ £139,995 but now down to £119,995.

Check out the floorplans for the Merrill 2 bedroom house, on at an eye-watering £157,995 or thereabouts. The master bedroom has an en-suite. Very handy but I would happily trade an en-suite for a cheaper priced house and larger bedroom(s). Ensuite means that there are 3 WCs in a 2 bedroomed house! :blink:

Re: the en-suite issue - I wonder if subliminally, developers realise how out of control house prices are and now actually design the houses for 2 single people sharing? The plot thickens. <_<

HOLA446
The trouble with almost all of these new-build city houses is that there is no garden - a paved yard at most for having barbeques, but no grass. I had a look at the aerial photographs of those properties and sure enough, there is nothing - why would anyone pay all this money when there is such little land?. It's a complete con, as are all these new-builds - the land price is what makes property expensive so when there is so little land you have to wonder what you are paying for?..... are yes, the developers profits!

The old properties off Cozens Road and Hardy Road all come with gardens - the properties at the top of Hardy Road next to the railway line have a beautiful cottage charm to them and are all painted white. I don't know what the history of them is or when they were built, but I would rather live there than in some crummy new-build rabbit hutch with no garden :lol:

Oh yes! Just looked on Google Earth and they are tiny! :blink:

The price of those apartments in that 'Factory' building previously owned by Laurence & Scott are an absolute joke!

HOLA447

I thought that these had sold! Obviously not. :lol:

'New' flats on Trafalgar Street

I do wonder why the developers had to make the block look 'Victorian' in style when the properties next to it are 20th century (ex)council housing? <_< Even a contempory style would have been more interesting. I do like Victorian architecture but there's already a lot of it around anyway. :)

• 2 months later...
HOLA448

the Carrow Road houses - Canary View- looks like a BTLer is getting out of the game, or the developer has let out the houses, and is now flogging them off (it says in your original ad that 4 of the 7 houses are occupied, there are 3 up for sale, so I guess it would fit -although the house numbering on Zoopla starts at 20 Carrow Road, so there's no evidence of any of them having sold - nethouseprices reflects this too).

Anyhow, 13, 14 & 15 are up for sale as a job lot, currently let with an income of approx £13,500 pa, and a guide price of £400,000 to £450,000, even at the top end of the pricing that works out to £150k per house, which is a good discount on the £199,950 they're still trying to get for them on Rightmove!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The thing that developers don't get is that making everything minimalist design chic doesn't make the place look remotely liveable... I'd sooner buy a cluttered old hovel with cupboards everywhere than a white box with 2 retro chairs and a spider plant. And I have a degree in graphic design and think the newbuilds look really cool (just not practical), so I can only imagine what the average punter would think of +£40k for pretentious postmodern design.

Suprised the don't just open a new hotel with the development instead, the rooms would be perfect as a funky luxury hotel rooms.

Edited by DementedTuna

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
The prices of the Canary View houses are now down to £170k! B)

Or, if you buy four of them, you can have them for £150k each... I want to say that that was previously buy 3 get the 4th free, but I think there's a flaw in there somewhere.

I guess that if there are identical (or the same properties for sale job lot stylee for that price, then you have to lower your price for the individual sale ones).

Your link to the Trafalgar Street flat isn't working anymore, so presumably they're now "sold" - for the moment at least!

Was in Waitrose today and the Arnolds EAs there have a house in Attleborough up for sale - with a big 25% off initial price slogan under the picture - looks like they're making no bones about it then!

HOLA4413
Your link to the Trafalgar Street flat isn't working anymore, so presumably they're now "sold" - for the moment at least!

Was in Waitrose today and the Arnolds EAs there have a house in Attleborough up for sale - with a big 25% off initial price slogan under the picture - looks like they're making no bones about it then!

Seems like all 4 flats on Trafalgar St are still for sale. crane your necks while on the 1st floor! <_<

About 5 years ago, Attleborough was Norfolk's property hotspot! How times have changed! :o

HOLA4414
Seems like all 4 flats on Trafalgar St are still for sale. crane your necks while on the 1st floor! <_<

About 5 years ago, Attleborough was Norfolk's property hotspot! How times have changed! :o

£20k cheaper than the last listing - although the last listing was for a ground floor flat - so I guess that the price discount for having to take the stairs, and having to be a person of restricted growth... :P

We looked at houses in Attleborough about 3 yrs ago - under duress - in today's crazy price world, the prices seemed perfectly reasonable! However, nothing suited us, and we weren't convinced that prices only ever went up (I had started lurking here and a few other places by then)! But yes, it seemed like property flew off the shelves, but it's difficult to know how much of that was "hard sell" by the EAs, and how much of it was real.

Prices there are now about the same as when we were looking 3 years ago - a sure sign that house prices don't always go up!!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
This development would have looked good in 1990's Manchester and the 'Factory' theme has been totally ripped from Factory Records. Tony Wilson must be spinning in it.

Ironically, the Hacienda is now an apartment block. :lol:"You're twisting my melon, man! Wha-ha-ha-hey!" ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Absolutely and it means nothing in Norwich, just a marketing opportunity to appeal to some deluded 30-somethings with more (borrowed) money than sense.

Maybe the designer should've gone the whole way and installed metal detectors at the entrance and black and yellow stripes on the pillars.

Back to housing :lol:, Lowestoft is beginning to exit the denial phase. Martin Cunningham from Howards, writing in the Waveney Advertiser, has been begging vendors to be more 'realistic'. More 'reduced' stuff in the ads and Local EA, Gage, have only one page of houses but with far smaller pictures.

They're struggling.