House Price Crash Forum
babesagainstmachines

The £7-per-hour Jobs Locals Don't Want

I bet it is difficult bringing up a family on 7 quid an hour, thats only 210 quid a week after tax for 40 hours per week. Housing, food and bills for a family must come to 180 quid, leaving 30 quid left for everything else. I dont blame them.

I bet it is difficult bringing up a family on 7 quid an hour, thats only 210 quid a week after tax for 40 hours per week. Housing, food and bills for a family must come to 180 quid, leaving 30 quid left for everything else. I dont blame them.

I do agree, the people coming in from eastern europe are able to accept the lower wages in the shorter term. I have said on here before but if there was another country in the EU where I could earn double what I earn now for easy labour I'd be there like a shot, do 4-5 years saev shed loads and come back. Thats exaclty what the Poles etc are doing.

why blame the migrants?

get rid of benifits, all of them, inc housing and the natives will work

its retarded to say get rid of imigrants, wages will increase to £20PH for a tesco worker then all our chavs will work.

I do agree, the people coming in from eastern europe are able to accept the lower wages in the shorter term. I have said on here before but if there was another country in the EU where I could earn double what I earn now for easy labour I'd be there like a shot, do 4-5 years saev shed loads and come back. Thats exaclty what the Poles etc are doing.

what if you could go there, work for two years then go on the dole

whcih would provide you with a house twice as big as your current one and enough money to get by ok. AND you could work and not tell the tax man

would you return?

no

why blame the migrants?

its retarded to say get rid of imigrants, wages will increase to £20PH for a tesco worker then all our chavs will work.

So what makes this retarded??

No, you have you're maths wrong. It's a 60 hour week, so that's £420, or £2,000 with overtime (exactly how much physical overtime labour can you do after 60 hours bent double picking pumpkins?). Which in the BBC's book is net £25k, so that would be gross about £36k. Amazing eh?

See, you have your maths wrong, not the BBC :lol:

Actually its £225/week (until April) and thats before WFTC etc

I'm sorry but Im all in favour of stop the benefits and take the job. :angry:

Best quote....

"They should put a stop to immigration totally"

Hema Patel

No doubt her parents or grand parents had been immigrants themselves in the not too distant past.

fat cow

I am a little suspicious of the way this article has been spun.

£7 a hour veg picking, £2K a month with overtime, £25K a year?

Don't make me laugh; that's bloody ludicrous. It might be £7 a hour to pick veg, but you don't pick it all year round, do you? It's seasonal. A few months every year. No farmer could afford to employ a large force of labourers for £25K pa.

The BBC are spinning, and it reads like bloody propaganda.

So what makes this retarded??

its like a baker begging to deport all the imigrant bakers so he can charge more for his bread

if you dont understand why it will not work im not one to try and teach you, jusst trust me or go read some books on price floors and ceilings

Guest An Bearin Bui

It doesn't even have to be in the EU - there are plenty of British and other European people taking up jobs in Dubai, Saudi Arabia and even Iraq to earn about 3 times what they could earn here tax-free in the oil, construction or security industries. I even read an article once in the Scotsman trying to elicit sympathy for the family of some scumbag who was working as a mercenary in Iraq. We were supposed to sob our hearts out for the terrible plight they faced with their father away in a dangerous place. Personally, I thought he had a pretty cushy deal to get a six-figure salary tax-free courtesy of some evil company like Blackwater to murder children for a living - whether he could ever live with himself for it is another question.

Picking a few veggies in Britain is harmless by comparison, I think...

why blame the migrants?

Get rid of immigrants and benefits and we are all happy!!!

Employers love the Poles because they can work them to death and treat them like shit.

Citizen’s Advice Bureau reports Polish workers involved in half of employment cases

Migrant workers are

suffering in system

POLISH workers in Northamptonshire

are being underpaid,

overworked and unfairly dismissed

by hardline bosses,

according to employment

experts.

Northampton Citizens’ Advice

Bureau has reported half of the 1,755

people with employment problems it

advised last year were migrant workers.

Almost all of those were Polish.

Martin Lord, the manager of the

bureau, said: “It’s a scandalous situation.

“What we have typically been seeing

is young Polish workers coming

to us having discovered their

employer has found a reason to not

pay them, withhold sick pay or just

dismiss them without reason or

notice.

“This is all unlawful, but the

worker’s remedy is to go to a tribunal

and, frankly, if you are in

your 20s, in a foreign country and

without a knowledge of the law, it

can be impossible to get justice. And

we think the employers know this.”

Seamus Hevey, an employment

advisor at the advice charity, said

one major employer in the area had

treated many Polish workers

“abysmally”.

He said: “If a worker falls pregnant,

it tends to result in their dismissal.

But they do it in a way that

is very hard to prove at a tribunal.

“I have also seen Portuguese workers

being systematically dismissed

to make way for cheaper Polish

workers. Each new migrant group

will be paid a lower wage and some

are barely getting the minimum

wage when you add up unpaid overtime

and accommodation fees.”

Polish-born Marta, who works

part-time at the bureau as receptionist

and interpreter, said: “The

biggest problem is money. People

don’t get enough payment.

“It’s a big problem, really. I meet

many, many people and they are

not happy.”

She added: “The worst affected

are the ones who don’t know English

and they are totally helpless because

they don’t know their rights.

“There are also problems with

landlords, who won’t give back

deposits, and with people being

sacked unfairly. I really don’t know

the solution.”

why blame the migrants?

Some people would think it was pretty retarded to not even be able to spell 'benefits' :lol:

There is a lot of spin in this. It mentions up to 7 pounds per hour and not the average pay is one. So i'll take that as being 6.50 which is probably closer to the true pay. The work is 60h per week so i guess overtime starts after this. And i''ll take over time to be time-and-a half.

None over time pay - 60*6.50*52=20280

To earn ~25K gross - 10*9.75*52=5070 20280+5070=25350

So you'd have to work a 70 hour week to earn that. Not to mention the work is highly seasonal so that during spring/winter you'd be unemployed.

A fair days work for a fair days pay, eh?

:o

All our economic woes can be placed firmly at the feet of the poles. The evil pole is taking your job, stealing your money, buying your houses. I say all poles should be forced to where an armbard with the polish eagle on it. That way we can make sure we know who is one of us and who is one of them.

Any other ideas to deal with this menace?

its like a baker begging to deport all the imigrant bakers so he can charge more for his bread

if you dont understand why it will not work im not one to try and teach you, jusst trust me or go read some books on price floors and ceilings

My comment was sarcastic, rather asking for a reply. Since it is obvious it will work at least to the point where it makes the pay/work balance worthwhile. If 20 years ago these types of jobs could pay a living wage, I see no reason why that is possible now, particularly with the increasing prices of commodities. I just have to ask myself where the money that used to be going to the labourer is going now.

Guest Skint Academic

Hello boys and girls, today I'm going to ask you some questions about immigration and economics. Please answer them to the best of your ability. There is no time limit to this test, but of course the sooner you answer the questions the sooner you can leave the classroom.

Q1) Why do local workers need to be paid an adequate wage?

Q2) If a farmer cannot use immigrants and can not find any employees for the wage he is offering, what will he have to do instead?

Q3) How can he afford to do this?

Q4) If everyone did this, how could the customers afford this?

Q5) By what name is this referred to when talking about the economy in general?

Q6) Who gets the blame for this?

Q7) If the farmer is given a plentiful supply of cheap immigrants, who gets the blame for not working for inadequate wages?

why blame the migrants?

No, they will burgle your house and take your car instead. Paying benefits prevents most of the underclass becoming serious crime problems by keeping their michief to petty crime and minor infractions. The governments of the world have known this for along time.