House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Students Suffer Graduate Jobs Shortage

Quelle surprise, not.

The universitybubble always was another organized ponzi scheme - another group with big bills and big debt and almost nothing tangible to show for it.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

Students suffer graduate jobs shortage

Mar 11 2008

by David Higgerson, Liverpool Daily Post

These students have just graduated - but their financial problems are only just beginning

THOUSANDS of Merseyside students are ending up in non-graduate jobs after finishing university.

Figures seen by the Daily Post show that, on some courses at universities in the region, more than four-fifths of students do not go into jobs after graduation which require a degree.

This is not a shortage of graduate jobs. It is a surplus of graduates.

Ordinary degrees are (almost) worthless. In another 10 years they will not be worth the debts you have to incur to acquire them.

Quelle surprise, not.

The universitybubble always was another organized ponzi scheme - another group with big bills and big debt and almost nothing tangible to show for it.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

Students suffer graduate jobs shortage

Mar 11 2008

by David Higgerson, Liverpool Daily Post

These students have just graduated - but their financial problems are only just beginning

THOUSANDS of Merseyside students are ending up in non-graduate jobs after finishing university.

Figures seen by the Daily Post show that, on some courses at universities in the region, more than four-fifths of students do not go into jobs after graduation which require a degree.

This is what gets me with jobs. We are constantly being told the way to get on is through education.

If you are stuck in a dead low paid job then study and get qualifications and you will be OK.

That there is a massive demand for skilled workers in this the knowledge economy.

What a load of ******.

Ordinary degrees are (almost) worthless. In another 10 years they will not be worth the debts you have to incur to acquire them.

Basically if you do not have a 1st class honours, a masters or a Ph.D., you have probably wasted your time. You would have been better off leaving school at 16 and becoming a spark.

This is what gets me with jobs. We are constantly being told the way to get on is through education.

If you are stuck in a dead low paid job then study and get qualifications and you will be OK.

That there is a massive demand for skilled workers in this the knowledge economy.

What a load of ******.

There is a massive demand... unfortunately graduates are typically far from skilled workers. Furthermore, those seeking the skilled workers are either unwilling to pay them enough or are unwilling to train someone who would accept the lower salary. So the education system has failed and the employers are demanding too much.

the big problem is a 18 year old student to be has no real conception of the 20k debt they will be taking on.

afterall its like spending on a credit card.

thus, the debt puts very few students off. because they dont understand it!!!

i have about 18k in debt. was my degree worth it?

Yes and No.

Yes becuase of the university and degree subject

No becuase i could have got a very very similar education from buying 20 books at a cost of £1000 and self studying (tbh thats what i did most of the time at university and its the same for most of the students i knew)

the big problem is a 18 year old student to be has no real conception of the 20k debt they will be taking on.

That is why it has been such an easy sell by this government.

This is the generation that are gong to prop up the boomer's pension pots and housing pots - not a chance in hell.

Basically if you do not have a 1st class honours, a masters or a Ph.D., you have probably wasted your time. You would have been better off leaving school at 16 and becoming a spark.

Actually, I am both... Degre in Electrical Engineering and a BS7671 and Electrical installation part 1&2..

But if you have a degree, you can find work in other countries that care less for a first class honours..

Actually I could of got into most countries with my sparky qualifications as well, so double bubble...

I had offers for Australia, Canada or UAE. I decided on Dubai.

My first job in Dubai as a graduate paid 70,000 a year.. no chance of that level of TAX FREE salary in the UK ..

The UK has no benifit, High Taxes and Restrictive Potential.

Then all you do is come back to your £250,000 pound house that you buy for cash for less than 9 months a year.

one week at christmas, 3 months june, july and august..

Edited by 234SALE

Nail hit on the head there.

I work for a huge organisation and spent 12 months working in recruitment, both for our normal run of the mill jobs, and our development schemes.

Related to what another poster above says, 2:2s and 2:1s just aren't impressive any more. There's even an (albeit unofficial) move towards treating some degrees with the complete contempt they deserve... graduates submitting application forms for our management training programmes, with 2:2s in subjects that have no bearing on the job at all barely even get through the paper sift now.

We interviewed one lad, 2:2 in "Business Management" or something similar, and a Masters (!!) in some consultancy field, whose reason for doing his masters was simply "He loved being a student" and whose knowledge of business in general was no greater than you'd expect from a well prepared A-Level student (i.e. the ones we take on on unpaid placements and secondments during their holidays!)

Anyway the upshot is, our "Graduate Recruitment" has now become "Graduates, or people with relevant experience..." and of the 13 people we accepted onto our last training intake, 7 were graduates, all from Russell universities, and all with 2:1 classifications.

That is why it has been such an easy sell by this government.

i have no problem with paid education. but it should be upfront, or at lest a certain portion should be upfront

perhaps only 2% of studnets actually consider the debt they will take on and understand it

the problem is, a MAJORITY of the debt is rent. i spent at lest 10k on rent (shared a room with someone else for 2 years, and had my own for the last year).

Why is it that a university doesnt offer "free rooms". Afterall it would be ULTRA cheap for them to build the rooms on their grounds.

there is no justification in chargining students £80-120PW for rent

its just another way to prop up the universities

There was something on the news the other day about a new government agency to talk down teenagers who think they'll be on 30k when they're 25. They'll only be on 20k so in order to avoid disappointments they're teaching children just how little they'll be getting.

There is not a shortage of teaching jobs, (which ARE graduate only proffessions).

Last time I looked you could get into Teaching without a degree - you just need the requisite amount of relevant experience.

So true. Most of the kids in my class who never bothered have all got dead-end jobs, but they were able to snap up cheap houses. Bettering yourself through a university was the biggest lie ever foisted on us.

Last time I looked you could get into Teaching without a degree - you just need the requisite amount of relevant experience.

As a teaching assistant peut etre

But legislation requires teachers to be graduates!

So true. Most of the kids in my class who never bothered have all got dead-end jobs, but they were able to snap up cheap houses. Bettering yourself through a university was the biggest lie ever foisted on us.

So true. Most graduates only seem to leave university with a sense of entitlement these days.

Anyway the upshot is, our "Graduate Recruitment" has now become "Graduates, or people with relevant experience..." and of the 13 people we accepted onto our last training intake, 7 were graduates, all from Russell universities, and all with 2:1 classifications.

i would give you the advice of looking at A-Level Results instead of university results

the reason is, A-Levels have some sort of Base.

A Grade A in A-level math at a college in the north east is worth roughly the same as one in a college in france is worth roughly the same as a college in london.

A 2:1 from one universtiy IS COMPLETLY different from a 2:1 from another university is completly different from a 2:1 from another university is completely different from subject to subject ect

So, what we need is a fiscal environment that promotes enterprise and creates private sector jobs?

Instead what we have seen is;

increased employment taxes

increased basic rate of tax, and the undermining of the real value of the tax thresholds

increased capital gains tax

inflated cost of travel and transport

increased cost of education, and a dumbing down of standards

increased cost of doing business

and so see ourselves slipping backwards rapidly on attractiveness as a place to do business.

As a teaching assistant peut etre

But legislation requires teachers to be graduates!

You're right - I'm sure this was not the case a few years ago when my better half did her TT (although she does have a degree).

Pumping out loads of graduates who are unfit to get a decent job and therefore become a teacher because it is the only option sounds like a dangerous feedback loop to me. The education systems needs people who want to be teachers, not people who have to be, as it's the only job they can get that will cover their debts...

There is not a shortage of teaching jobs, (which ARE graduate only proffessions).

teaching some subjects is very dificult and not worth the wage.

i considered teaching physics, but decided against it.

price controls in this goverment mean we get a raw deal. you children are being tought physics by bioligists. thank you Gordon, stalin would TRUELY be proud of your economic handling and price controls

There was something on the news the other day about a new government agency to talk down teenagers who think they'll be on 30k when they're 25. They'll only be on 20k so in order to avoid disappointments they're teaching children just how little they'll be getting.

ChiChi (or anyone else) do you have any more info on this or where i could find out more? Im currently researching students' wage expectations and whether they are realistic, hence something like this would be gold!

Guest An Bearin Bui

I would go further than that and say that unless you have a clear career plan and some relevant experience built up during your studies, you're wasting your time studying. There are people I know of with PhDs and Masters degrees and first-class honours degrees and good MBAs etc who are working in dead-end jobs for peanuts either because they had PhDs etc in irrelevant, non-practical subjects or because they just never made the effort to build up worthwhile experience. Some have just been unlucky also. You can actually do better with just a 2:1 and some solid summer work placements than if you have a 1st and no experience.

Speaking as someone who has a 1st class degree and an MSc (both from top 10 universities), it's was always my work experience that employers cared about. My qualifications rarely attracted comment except once during an interview for a University job that required a PhD - I was asked why I hadn't gone on to a PhD when I had such excellent qualifications. I replied that it was due to personal circumstances (kind of true but also I thought it would have been a waste of time and money since no employer has ever taken an interest in my qualifications) and got the job anyway. Qualifications are almost meaningless now.

teaching some subjects is very dificult and not worth the wage.

i considered teaching physics, but decided against it.

price controls in this goverment mean we get a raw deal. you children are being tought physics by bioligists. thank you Gordon, stalin would TRUELY be proud of your economic handling and price controls

The advantage of teaching salaries for anyone living outside of London / South-East England is that they are quite reasonable and offer parity with other local jobs. Inside of the M25, or anyhere in the home counties and all bets are off. I don't know why anyone would teach in London for the money on offer.

This does run a beautiful parallel to the problems in housing, why is it that people who ask the following questions are still largely ignored...

1) Why do we need 50% of school leavers going to uni?

2) What ever happened to free education?

Why should 20-30% of school leavers be allowed to swamp the universities leading to a break down in the funding system, meaning top ups and fees are required and ultimately most of what results is drop outs, abject failure to teach anyone anything and devaluation of what a degree is meant to be about.

...And another thing, when did vocational courses become such a stigma? I could go on to rant about the devaluing of the term "engineer" and "professional" but I will resist the urge.