House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

" Consumer Gloom As Britain's Spending Power Fails"

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3525678.ece

From The TimesMarch 11, 2008
Consumer gloom as Britain's spending power failsFran Yeoman, Philip Webster and Grainne Gilmour
Restaurants, car dealers and shops are facing a bleak time as people feel the effects of a faltering economy, a survey suggests today.
More than a third of people are more worried about losing their jobs than they were at this time last year, with many cutting back in preparation for worse to come, according to a new kind of interactive poll conducted by Times Online.
The poll, which attracted 2,476 responses, is novel because it reflects not just hard statistical data, but people’s observations and anxieties about the state of the economy. For example, more than half of those who responded, said that they were eating out in restaurants less often than a year ago. Similarly, 60 per cent said that they were now more likely to check supermarket prices..../

The mood has undergone a huge shift in a few months. The miracle is dead and buried and the sheeple are cutting back on everything as they wait for the dark clouds to arrive from accross the Atlantic.

And arrive they will...................... :o

Guest KingCharles1st

So it WAS Northern Rock then

the one definable moment when Gordon's bumhole prepared itself to recieve the humoungus spike of dooooommm....

Edited by KingCharles1st

I thinking of changing car for a newer more fuel effecient one but not sure whether to bother under the current climate

Its actually more economical for me to stick with my with my old faithful 4.0L Jeep gas guzzler, than to splash out thousands of pounds on a new fuel efficient car. Petrol will be 70p per litre once again when the US consumer is finally forced to get out of there car and walk to the shop for his/her pack of cheese doodles and gallon of pepsi.

Its actually more economical for me to stick with my with my old faithful 4.0L Jeep gas guzzler, than to splash out thousands of pounds on a new fuel efficient car. Petrol will be 70p per litre once again when the US consumer is finally forced to get out of there car and walk to the shop for his/her pack of cheese doodles and gallon of pepsi.

Never going to happen in the UK I am afraid.

The tax is as much as that now.

Convert to LPG would be my advice.

In 1998, oil was $15.4 pb, inflation adjusted about $20 pb. Petrol was 61 p/l and inflation adjusted about 75 p/l. Today oil is about $105 pb and petrol is about 109 p/l.

Petrol looks cheap to me at the moment ! Is there any chance of oil dipping to $20 pb soon ? I mean, it could just be trading on thin air according to RK.

Petrol looks cheap to me at the moment ! Is there any chance of oil dipping to $20 pb soon ? I mean, it could just be trading on thin air according to RK.

Dont think so OPEC have set a floor of $80 pb

On the OT

If assets devalue + Prices increase + Jobs decrease = lower standard of living

Edited by Bardon

Get an Oyster card and a cycle.......

Thats me! Wonder why people bother with Tube or cars in London. (though recent gales have made cycling a challenge in recent days.

Also its "greener" to run older cars for longer, due to the energy input in manufacture.

I didn't realise that the London Underground had been rolled out to every town and city in the UK! Try cycling in Wales - hill, valley, hill, valley, fecking big mountain, fecking big valley, hill, valley... We had a professional cycle race leg in Swansea a few years back and the boys had to go up 'Constitution Hill' - pro cyclists who had no problems getting up the Alps or the Pyrenees were getting off their bikes and walking. What hope is there for the rest of us... especially if we have a galleon of Pepsi in one hand and a jumbo packet of cheese doodles in the other.

Convert to LPG would be my advice.

Already thought of that, a decent LPG kit would set me back nearly £2k, and the car is not worth much more than that :lol: Also, cars are up to 20% less efficient when convereted to gas.

Edited by Lander

In 1998, oil was $15.4 pb, inflation adjusted about $20 pb. Petrol was 61 p/l and inflation adjusted about 75 p/l. Today oil is about $105 pb and petrol is about 109 p/l.

I think up to 30% of the current price of crude is mostly froth and speculation. It's not in OPEC's interest to ramp up oil prices to unsustainable levels which will effectively kill the golden goose. $150 oil is guaranteed to tip the US and UK into recession which would cause a significant drop in demand for oil. When that happens, we could see $50 bbl once again.

I think up to 30% of the current price of crude is mostly froth and speculation. It's not in OPEC's interest to ramp up oil prices to unsustainable levels which will effectively kill the golden goose. $150 oil is guaranteed to tip the US and UK into recession which would cause a significant drop in demand for oil. When that happens, we could see $50 bbl once again.

150 buck per barrel will see Marines walking all over the Middle East. However, if your 50s buck per barrel happens it will only exist for a short number of years before the global economies take off again, demand rises and so does the price.

I didn't realise that the London Underground had been rolled out to every town and city in the UK! Try cycling in Wales - hill, valley, hill, valley, fecking big mountain, fecking big valley, hill, valley... We had a professional cycle race leg in Swansea a few years back and the boys had to go up 'Constitution Hill' - pro cyclists who had no problems getting up the Alps or the Pyrenees were getting off their bikes and walking. What hope is there for the rest of us... especially if we have a galleon of Pepsi in one hand and a jumbo packet of cheese doodles in the other.

Save Energy, Go Green, Don't live where its hilly.

Though strangely I remember a trip to the Peak District and cyclists were out in droves. Masochistic streak?

Agreed, then we'll see $300bbl :ph34r:

Already thought of that, a decent LPG kit would set me back nearly £2k, and the car is not worth much more than that :lol: Also, cars are up to 20% less efficient when convereted to gas.

Best to bend over and get ready for right old rodgering from the government then!

Guest Bart of Darkness

I don't think they take those on the tram in Sheffield. ;)

Ive been talking the housing market down for a few years now but Im having to keep my mouth shut from now on. My senior said to me this morning 'If there is a recession you will be the first out of the door, your schadenfreudistic (?) little twit'. Gulp. :o :

The core proof of coming recession :lol::lol:

The sale of women's clothes is the number one lead indicator of a recession. M&S noticed the slowdown well before Christmas.

Sales of women’s clothing, a traditional pillar of the holiday shopping season, are unusually bleak so far this year, according to a major credit card company, an ominous sign for the retail industry.
From high-end dresses to bargain coats, spending on women’s apparel dropped nearly 6 percent during the first half of the Christmas season, compared with the same period last year, according to MasterCard Advisors, a division of the credit card company.
-cont.