House Price Crash Forum
Rain'ard

They've Blown Their Money

Can anyone here remember that in Brighton where I live, Beach Huts were selling like hot cakes at £20,000 each. Well, I’m told today that many have been destroyed by the recent bad weather.

There are some prats in my City who now own just a bundle of matchwood and GAP which they have paid a small fortune. I am wondering if their insurers are going to pay them 20 grand for a wooden shed measuring 6ft by 6ft

Can anyone here remember that in Brighton where I live, Beach Huts were selling like hot cakes at £20,000 each. Well, I’m told today that many have been destroyed by the recent bad weather.

There are some prats in my City who now own just a bundle of matchwood and GAP which they have paid a small fortune. I am wondering if their insurers are going to pay them 20 grand for a wooden shed measuring 6ft by 6ft

Isn't is possible to buy a beach hut from B&Q for £1000?.....its the land innit? 20K for a 6x6 space plus the annual renewal for the building every year after storms, got to be worth it. No?

They have a lease on the land, they can simply put up a new hut for less than 1k.

20k is cheap, at West Wittering in my neck of the woods huts were selling for much more, its become de-rigour if you have a well paid job in public services to sit in your 50k beach hut and scoff at the working classes sitting on the stones eating Jam Butties and throwing sticks to their pitbulls.

I assume they can rebuild at modest cost.

They paid a premium for the location and they still have that.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

If they paid £20k for their wooden shed then surely they would insure it for £20k, you insure the building not the land it stands on. :unsure:

If they paid £20k for their wooden shed then surely they would insure it for £20k, you insure the building not the land it stands on. :unsure:

You do not insure the building or the land ; you insure your INTEREST in the property , a subtle but significant difference. Non standard construction buildings such as beach huts are unlikely to be covered for storm damage .

You do not insure the building or the land ; you insure your INTEREST in the property , a subtle but significant difference. Non standard construction buildings such as beach huts are unlikely to be covered for storm damage .

From what I hear, they did try to insure the beach huts, but the insurance Companies Wooden take them on.

if you have a well paid job in public services to sit in your 50k beach hut and scoff at the working classes sitting on the stones eating Jam Butties and throwing sticks to their pitbulls.

Well paid ?... sitting in a £ucking shed... on a crappy beach front... getting pissed on by the Great British weather

while watching the chav's throw-up on the promenade...! :ph34r:

I'd rather be in Portugal.

For £20,000 I could live for 9 months in a very, very nice hotel :blink:

I agree, also its ok saying "its the land init" but storms are getting worse or more frequent, so possibly factoring in having to replace the beach hut much more often.

Also I reckon with the credit crunch, people will be wanting to offload this rubbish at a fraction of the price paid pretty soon, along with their 4x4's and speed boats.

1987_storm_damage2_470_470x352.jpg

British inventor proudly displays re-usable flat pack beach hut to outdo IKEA

80s (storm) retro ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/image_g...allery.shtml?12

I really can't see the benefit of beach huts. Are they used for cottaging, dogging etc?

Driving past Shoreham the other week, i noticed that the river front had been ruined by a very large wall of clone new build flats, 4+ storeys high.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Guest Skint Academic
I really can't see the benefit of beach huts. Are they used for cottaging, dogging etc?

Aha that makes sense. Prostitutes, medical insurance, taxi rides to the STD clinics and renting hotel rooms can really burn your hole a hole in your wallet you know. 20K starts to make a lot of sense if you are in it for the long term.

£1000 for a 6x6 beach hut from B&Q??? You could get a greenhouse instead!

Wot and have all the brighton beach-goers inspect your cucumber and tomatoes while you got changed ?

The huts near me are so exclusive you have to own a house on the adjoining private estate to rent one.

So you pay an extra 20% on your property for it to be so close to the sea and then you get a beach hut to save you the 5 mins walk to nip home for a wee!

Its amazing what people spend their money on. Or did, I wonder how many of the City workers who bought these majorly expensive second homes will be able to even afford the hut next year.

Aha that makes sense. Prostitutes, medical insurance, taxi rides to the STD clinics and renting hotel rooms can really burn your hole a hole in your wallet you know. 20K starts to make a lot of sense if you are in it for the long term.

:D

so they are great for having tantric sex in as well ?

BBC reported on 27 November 2007 a beach hut for sale overlooking the Chesil beach in Dorset at £280,000, yes - £280,000

Google: West Bexington beach hut

£50,000 is the reduced shelf price nowadays for a beach hut. To lease a newly erected one in Bournemouth is £20,000 plus annual rent.