House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Britons Feel Pinch Ahead Of Budget

One woman from Bristol wrote: "I think there is a split between those that have made money in property, paid off their mortgages and then those of us who are faced with paying off student loans whilst trying to raise vast amounts of money to buy ourselves somewhere to live. I am a lawyer earning good money, yet I can't afford to buy somewhere to live - has there ever been a point in history where this would be the case?"

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3524235.ece

More than half the 2,476 people who had completed the survey by this afternoon said that they are eating out in restaurants less often than a year ago,

Well boo Fecking hoo!! I'd like to take the chancellor to one of the "starter homes" grab him by the be8lls and say "look you can't swing a Darling in here!"

Taxes are going up and more steath taxes are being added and for what i ask.

Bins will not be emptyed unless the lid is shut right down and we have no chance of a state pension so just what are we being made to pay for.

Even the Mafia pretends to provide a service to shop keeps who fall under it's control by providing protection for thugs on the streets.

it's better to fight when your young than find it out later when you are cold and hungry.

my heart bleeds, so I am so moved to point out that they should get scavenging :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/feb/1...reers.graduates

That´s nothing new here in Spain. You get loads of people scavenging around bins and skips here. It´s great if you want to chuck out stuff as you don´t have to bother taking it to the local dump. Anything you put out will disappear, from washing machines to clothes. A few months ago, I threw out the last of my old kitchen cupboards. Within half an hour, the hinges had gone, then someone else took the doors and another person came and took the rest.

Perhaps this sort of recycling will start in the UK now.

That´s nothing new here in Spain. You get loads of people scavenging around bins and skips here. It´s great if you want to chuck out stuff as you don´t have to bother taking it to the local dump. Anything you put out will disappear, from washing machines to clothes. A few months ago, I threw out the last of my old kitchen cupboards. Within half an hour, the hinges had gone, then someone else took the doors and another person came and took the rest.

That's encouraging.

Presumably (and hopefully) folks will have no choice but to buy reused items or scavenge, as they cannot get credit so easily to buy new ones. Oil inflation increases transport costs for new goods from afar, so sourcing local produce & cast-offs should increase.

As Spain, Ireland & the Us appear ahead of the uk in hpc terms, it would be interesting to hear anecotes of increases in re-use markets.

ie. long lines of sellers, queuing at start of boot sales, busier charity shops, thicker free ad papers etc.

That's encouraging.

Presumably (and hopefully) folks will have no choice but to buy reused items or scavenge, as they cannot get credit so easily to buy new ones. Oil inflation increases transport costs for new goods from afar, so sourcing local produce & cast-offs should increase.

As Spain, Ireland & the Us appear ahead of the uk in hpc terms, it would be interesting to hear anecotes of increases in re-use markets.

ie. long lines of sellers, queuing at start of boot sales, busier charity shops, thicker free ad papers etc.

Well being traditionally the forgotten and poorest area of Spain, Almería has always had to best make use of its resources. Also, the fact there is no social security unless you have worked for 18 months, focuses the mind on making the most of every Euro. Of course, for the North African and other immigrants without jobs, it´s a case of look in the bins or starve!

This is already the case where I work in London. If we are replacing office furniture or computer equipment, we just leave the old stuff on the forecourt with a sign saying 'in working order, please take if you want' and it goes in hours.