House Price Crash Forum
dubsie

Going For Bust

House prices won't be on the agenda for much longer as even if they crash it's not going to make a damn bit of difference when we're all struggling to live. The government will have to raise taxes in 2008 or face going into the red by £41 billion pounds and this isn't counting Northern Rock or the two wars that we are fighting.

To make matters worse the budget for Iraq and Afganistan is predicted to double, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287525.stm

My opinion is that by mid 2009 we will be in the grip of recession and by 2010 the recession will be at it worst. I might be wrong but it feels worse than the 1990s in many ways. The picture I'm getting in the midlands is that business is poor and many companies are hoping for a good summer.

With a recession and increased spending commitments the government may find tax revenues falling which will result in cut backs or tax increases.

Inflation is soaring and the price of energy is also.

This is not good at all. House prices are going to crash in 2009 but people are not going to be in a position to invest.

I think what we are seeing is the Portishead effect!

The downbeat recessionary music is making an appearance again with their 'Third' album being released soon.

This is bound to mark the beginning of the end of the boom period :)

More this:

84_Portishead_L070806.jpg

than this:

4515391244.jpg

Edited by Shamus

The downbeat recessionary music is making an appearance again with their 'Third' album being released soon.

they will never make a better album than Dummy though.... a total classic if ever i heard one

:lol:

When Portishead creep on to the scene, you just know it's going to get messy.

This is not good at all. House prices are going to crash in 2009 but people are not going to be in a position to invest.

I think it all depends upon your point of view.

There will always be some desire for banks to lend money to good credit risks with good jobs and a healthy deposit. I fall into all of these catergories, and would be happy to buy in 2009/2010 (or when prices bottom out).

Either way, the cash rich will be the ones that will ride out a recession the best. Those with multi million pound property "portfolios" will be stuffed.

Dubsie,

On your comment about the midlands (Derbyshire), I agree that business is poor. I learnt this weekend that the pharmaceutical company I used to work for is closing down in the next year with the loss of 120 jobs. The company mainly employs people from the surrounding villages and town which has already lost its textile industry and previous to that the pits (of course).

The company I now work for are going to merger with another company based in Tamworth so who knows whats going to happen there. Nothing will be announced til the end of April. FTB so not worried about the mortgage (that I cant afford to get anyway) but still not great for getting on the ladder in the future if I do lose my job.

'Queue Portishead music'

House prices won't be on the agenda for much longer as even if they crash it's not going to make a damn bit of difference when we're all struggling to live. The government will have to raise taxes in 2008 or face going into the red by £41 billion pounds and this isn't counting Northern Rock or the two wars that we are fighting.

To make matters worse the budget for Iraq and Afganistan is predicted to double, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7287525.stm

My opinion is that by mid 2009 we will be in the grip of recession and by 2010 the recession will be at it worst. I might be wrong but it feels worse than the 1990s in many ways. The picture I'm getting in the midlands is that business is poor and many companies are hoping for a good summer.

With a recession and increased spending commitments the government may find tax revenues falling which will result in cut backs or tax increases.

Inflation is soaring and the price of energy is also.

In the last recession house prices dropped by 50% in some cases, did everybody suddenly rush out and buy one ?

No they didnt, they were busy running to stand still, desperately trying to keep their jobs and working for cash when they were drawing benefits to make ends meet.

More this:

84_Portishead_L070806.jpg

than this:

4515391244.jpg

Wow do you have their phone numbers, they are late for their lesson ?

they will never make a better album than Dummy though.... a total classic if ever i heard one

Dummy is a fantastic album! B)

Dummy is a fantastic album! B)

I didnt realise that Gordon Brown had released a record, was he in Tony's Band Ugly Rumours or did he start his own band called The Rumours are True ?

I didnt realise that Gordon Brown had released a record, was he in Tony's Band Ugly Rumours or did he start his own band called The Rumours are True ?

Gordon allegedly auditioned for AC/DC in his younger days, but didn`t get the gig because he was too camp.

There is one advantage to recessions and difficult times - the popular music improves considerably.

I am still very much a Morrissey fan being a young adult in the early 80s.