House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
It is different this time

It Is Bad Out There As Even Motivated Sellers Can't Sell

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518829

who else is waiting to sell there house....

As title guys and girls i am fed up now as we all have our visas and are looking forward to our new lifes in eaton yet we just need to sell our house and yet we are haveing no lick

what makes this worse though is i got made redundant 4 weeks ago and was hopeing house would sell quickly...

that way a nice fresh start and bit of rest before we set off lol!!

anyway who else is in a similar situation....

We have had our house up for sale since last July

Husband at home with new estate agent at the minute getting pics taken, so hoping things will pick up

Gill

Yep you can me to the list. Although we haven't got our visa yet our house has been up for a year now. We have had a few sale agreed's that fell through and have had to drop the price by a good bit. The property market in Ireland isnt going to well and at this stage I starting to panic

You can add me to the list too!!!!!

Been on the market since Nov 07, just signed up with a new EA today, but have to give 14days notice to the other one

As bad as this sounds it makes me feel better that there is not just me wating to sell and vice versa i suppose, its so annoying when you drive past houses that say sold!!

and by the same company who are supposed to be selling your house lol

its just a waiting game and by the looks of it i aint alone

Yep you can us onto the list, only been on the market since January but have just knocked £15,000 off price as very little intrest. We fly to Oz on 15th April.

Cheryl

Had 1 viewing in 11 months

Slashed the price to basically cover what we owe on the mortgage......may have about £5k left over

The way we look at it is we can't go to Oz if we haven't sold the house.

Beth x x

good point beth.

the houseing market i think has slowed right down, btw i feel a bit guilty now moaning about my house sorry if i come across bad in anyway i just thought it was me who was doing bad i hope you have better luck with the house now....

and yeah your right i suppose if the house doesnt sell you cant go i am in same boat we have no money except what is in the house

weve had 2 viewings since aug 07.one nice couple offered 1/2 price after we had stayed in all morning and tidied everything away we have just changed agents and reduced £20 000 but thats as low as we're prepared to go.We are booked to go in june and will be going anyway whether sold or not.

Add us to the list too. not had any interest for a month now. Jut instructed the estate agents to knock another 5k off it. That's it now, any lower and by the time we have paid the estate agent/solicitor, we'll be owing the bank money

We are in the same boat totally.

Been on the market since last July.... 1 viewing... they liked the house then they split up!!

Reduced the house by 15 grand in January....still no viewers. Reduced again a couple of weeks ago this time by a further 20 grand and have had 2 viewers. Both sound promising but have yet to put in any offers.

We have flights booked for 13th May and will be going whether the house is sold or not! We do have the option to rent if we dont sell but obviously we would prefer to sell and have a clean break but also have the money in the bank! Its a pain but will be worth it in the end i guess.

Good luck to all in the same boat.

Janice.

The list goes on and on and on and on and these are the 'motivated' sellers who can't sell won't sell...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518829

The list goes on and on and on and on and these are the 'motivated' sellers who can't sell won't sell...

I think the problem with the Expat types is that they have this dream, a dream which is totally based on some over valuation made by and EA at the hight of the market. Their "plan" requies them to get a certain price otherwise they can't afford to buy when they get to their chosen destination.

I Like this one...

weve had 2 viewings since aug 07.one nice couple offered 1/2 price after we had stayed in all morning and tidied everything away we have just changed agents and reduced £20 000 but thats as low as we're prepared to go.

and then?? :rolleyes:

I think the problem with the Expat types is that they have this dream, a dream which is totally based on some over valuation made by and EA at the hight of the market. Their "plan" requies them to get a certain price otherwise they can't afford to buy when they get to their chosen destination.

Exactly... it is a double edged sword because the value of the £ is dropping fast against other currencies too... ouch :blink:

I think the problem with the Expat types is that they have this dream, a dream which is totally based on some over valuation made by and EA at the hight of the market.

Not necessarily at the height. I had 5 estate agents value my house recently and their valuations differed by £45k, this is for a fairly normal house around the £200k mark. Wildly differing valuations. I came to the conclusion that many estate agents are either stupid, or are trying to flatter me into giving them the gig. I suspect its a combination of the two. In the end I did my own research and came up with my own valuation. And guess what, my valuation was very close to the lowest valuation from any of the agents.

I'm sure the expats on that forum all had at least 3 agents round. I'd love to know what proportion of them put their house on the market at the lowest valuation. I only learn't recently that many estate agents get commissions based on the number of instructions they get. How can you rely on a 'professional valuer' that works under those circumstances?

We have just had the same rationale conversation in pizza hut We are in the paper again tomorrow (now at £25005 under original valuation), will give it 2 weeks then reduce another 20K, if we don't get anything at that price, Easter will be more or less over and we are going to try and sell to one of the cheap companies and know they will offer approx £65,000 under valuation - needs must for us, Jason flies on the 3rd April

I believe the CHEAP COMPANIES that are buying up houses are slowly going BUST as well. That appears to be the present SUPPORT level.

Its appears MOTIVATED SELLERS are becoming DESPERATE SELLERS down HYSTERIA LANE :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by joey

Guest theboltonfury
Not necessarily at the height. I had 5 estate agents value my house recently and their valuations differed by £45k, this is for a fairly normal house around the £200k mark. Wildly differing valuations. I came to the conclusion that many estate agents are either stupid, or are trying to flatter me into giving them the gig. I suspect its a combination of the two. In the end I did my own research and came up with my own valuation. And guess what, my valuation was very close to the lowest valuation from any of the agents.

I'm sure the expats on that forum all had at least 3 agents round. I'd love to know what proportion of them put their house on the market at the lowest valuation. I only learn't recently that many estate agents get commissions based on the number of instructions they get. How can you rely on a 'professional valuer' that works under those circumstances?

exactly. Watched a repeat of property ladder with Beeny. When the couple, who'd done a terrible job of renovation, received their first 2 valuations from the EA they looked disappointed.... then, lastly, came one EA who'd valued it at 50k more. The 2 suckers looked at each other like they'd just won the lottery - they actually believed that because some halfwit had valued their house so out of kilter with others they were up to the tune of 50k

greed or stupidity. I am not sure which is the most dangerous

Clearly not motivated enough :rolleyes:

This is the kind of thing that really hisses me off about house buying in general.You are either:

Buying someone elses debt

or

Paying for their "Dream"

or

Both!

Just finished reading that thread. Quite entertaining. The best thing about it is that they all know, or agree, the housing market is falling !!!

I've viewed lots of houses over the last 6 months and i've come across a couple of people who are selling to emigrate.

Those propertys were all on at top whack and they are still on the market!!! I guess they were trying to maximise their profit before jumping ship. One is now vacant and has been for several months, its dropped 25K so far...I rekon they will take a seriously low offer to get shot of it.

When I view I make a point of asking why they are selling, as soon as they say, "we're emigrating", I think to myself "not off my f**king back you're not".

I was looking at some hovel in my borough in 2006 (Mrs Melchett really, really wanted to move back then, she's sort of changed her mind now, or at least agreed to put it off till a more sensible market returns), being sold by one of these I Have A Dream Of Australia And You're Going To Fund It types. They were not only trying to break market ceiling in their street, they were trying to do it with a shack that was literally good for nothing but redevelopment (and I've looked at enough heaps in my time to know when a house is totally irredemable, and this was one of the worst). I went outside and told her I'd never been so sure in my life it was a bad buy.

Just finished reading that thread. Quite entertaining. The best thing about it is that they all know, or agree, the housing market is falling !!!

I've viewed lots of houses over the last 6 months and i've come across a couple of people who are selling to emigrate.

Those propertys were all on at top whack and they are still on the market!!! I guess they were trying to maximise their profit before jumping ship. One is now vacant and has been for several months, its dropped 25K so far...I rekon they will take a seriously low offer to get shot of it.

When I view I make a point of asking why they are selling, as soon as they say, "we're emigrating", I think to myself "not off my f**king back you're not".

I'm sure a minority of these people have good plans and know that Australia presents opportunities not available here, or that staying in the UK presents particular problems for them.

As for the ones that have failed in the UK and want to make a 'fresh start' (majority?) - don't they realise that the country they happen to be in is a Red Herring? Their reasons for failure will go all the way to Oz with them. Sorry to be harsh but sometimes the truth is painful.

Perhaps they want a new life style and sunshine with a more positive outlook instead of having to listen to people like you carping on about failure all the time? :P

Good luck to them, at least they are going somewhere that has some national identity left (not that Australia would suit me) I am sure the majority won't regret their decision to move, the UK lost the plot some time ago.

I'm sure a minority of these people have good plans and know that Australia presents opportunities not available here, or that staying in the UK presents particular problems for them.

As for the ones that have failed in the UK and want to make a 'fresh start' (majority?) - don't they realise that the country they happen to be in is a Red Herring? Their reasons for failure will go all the way to Oz with them. Sorry to be harsh but sometimes the truth is painful.

True, but if I'm going to be a failure in life, I'd rather be one in the sunshine than in the rain.

:) A variation on would you prefer to be rich and miserable or poor and miserable?

Perhaps they want a new life style and sunshine with a more positive outlook instead of having to listen to people like you carping on about failure all the time? :P

Good luck to them, at least they are going somewhere that has some national identity left (not that Australia would suit me) I am sure the majority won't regret their decision to move, the UK lost the plot some time ago.

I think you know what I am on about FM. Good luck indeed to people who go to Oz for the lifestyle and who know their strengths and weaknesses and learn from past mistakes.

I have cousins in Oz and NZ who have been there for 30 years and although not 'richer' as such, have generous amounts of land, animals to look after etc. and seem very happy.

Its the ones that have struggled in the UK due to not exploiting their own talents to the full, whose whole plan is based on an unearned windfall and moving to a country they don't know, that I am 'carping on about'.

And who knows, it might be the making of them despite their lack of preparation.

Sorry, but you all have it wrong. If someone is selling a house which they've owned for, say, 20 years, and made a big 'profit' on it, not only has it been their home but they have put a lot into it, financial and otherwise.

If they sell and emigrate, they are not doing it 'off your back' - what a terrible attitude! They are just exercising their right to do what they want with their hard earned money.

We will be taking $800,000 with us when we emigrate to the US, and we're proud of our effrost to get to that. Not off anyone's back! And by the way - the £ is not falling agaonst the $!!!!

Sorry, but you all have it wrong. If someone is selling a house which they've owned for, say, 20 years, and made a big 'profit' on it, not only has it been their home but they have put a lot into it, financial and otherwise.

If they sell and emigrate, they are not doing it 'off your back' - what a terrible attitude! They are just exercising their right to do what they want with their hard earned money.

We will be taking $800,000 with us when we emigrate to the US, and we're proud of our effrost to get to that. Not off anyone's back! And by the way - the £ is not falling agaonst the $!!!!

Welcome to the Forum Handel!

I have been reading the thread on your ExPat forum and I have noticed that when anyone tries to warn people that it is not a good time to "wait and see" and to sell up now because of an impending house price crash they are immediately called "trolls" and "doom-mongers."

However, I think us posters at HPC.co.uk are providing a service to all those people desperately trying to sell their houses before emigrating as we are trying to help them. If you don't want our help then fine but don't expect any sympathy from us in six months time when your house has "lost" 10 per cent of it's "value." Remember a house is "worth" only what someone is prepared to pay for it. You property owners have expereinced the good times and enjoyed house price inflation of 300 per cent.

NOW STOP BEING SO F@CK@NG GREEDY AND LOWER YOUR F@C@ING PRICES YOU GREEDY BAST@ARDS!!!

Edited by SlumpmonkeyII

Oh dear, you say it all, slumpmonkey! 'Lower your ******* prices you ******* bastards?' What an attitude!

We already lowered ours, from £675,000 to £625,000, not because there has actually been a fall in our area, but because of the pereceptions of one created by people like you. We have now sold - and I'm sure our buyers will enjoy many happy years in the lovely home which we created. 300% profit? Not really - we put a huge amount into the house, not to mention paying exorbitant interest rates for years! Were you around when we were paying 15% amd both of us were working full time to do so? No, thought not. It's about time we got something for all our years of work and paying out vast sums!

Oh dear, you say it all, slumpmonkey! 'Lower your ******* prices you ******* bastards?' What an attitude!

We already lowered ours, from £675,000 to £625,000, not because there has actually been a fall in our area, but because of the pereceptions of one created by people like you. We have now sold - and I'm sure our buyers will enjoy many happy years in the lovely home which we created. 300% profit? Not really - we put a huge amount into the house, not to mention paying exorbitant interest rates for years! Were you around when we were paying 15% amd both of us were working full time to do so? No, thought not. It's about time we got something for all our years of work and paying out vast sums!

Who says your house is "worth" even £625,000. Ask Eric Pebble, the UK property market has been artificially inflated by Liar Loans during the past five years of the biggest property bubble ever known. What goes up must come down - then I will be able to afford to buy a house for a fair price and not have to sell my self into debt slavery for the next 25 years!

The market creates winners and losers. Roles reverse - get used to it!

Edited by SlumpmonkeyII

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

It's amazing how buyers just won't pay the price the magic house pixie sets these days.

The only perceptions that really matter at the moment belong to the bankers.

That constitutes a fall in my book and a fall in the very house you are sitting in.

I agree that you should get a return on all your years of hard work and its a tragedy that you mite not. The various UK pension fiascoes are another example of people loosing a life times worth of savings but sadly, as unjust as it is, their is nothing we can do about the direction markets take.

I wish you all the best of luck with selling your house but I'm pretty sure your going to be shafted. Sorry m8.