House Price Crash Forum

Northern Rock Pulls Out Of Subprime Mortgage Market In U.k.

HOLA441

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2060110...co&refer=uk

Northern Rock Pulls Out of Subprime Mortgage Market in U.K.

By Ben Livesey

March 10 (Bloomberg) -- Northern Rock Plc, nationalized by the U.K. government last month, will stop selling subprime mortgages in Britain.

The bank will stop selling the loans today, though applications submitted before will be processed, the Newcastle, England-based lender said in a statement today.

Northern Rock, bailed out by the Bank of England after it ran out of funds for new loans in September, began selling subprime and ``near prime'' home loans last year on behalf of Southern Pacific Mortgage Ltd., which was responsible for funding the loans and managing the repayments, it said.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2060110...co&refer=uk

The bank will stop selling the loans today, though applications submitted before will be processed, the Newcastle, England-based lender said in a statement today.

If the British press had any integrity they would tear the government to pieces over this. They claimed all along that there was no sub-prime and the mortgage 'book' was good. Now over six months into the crisis they announce they will stop selling sub-prime loans. :angry: :angry:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
If the British press had any integrity they would tear the government to pieces over this. They claimed all along that there was no sub-prime and the mortgage 'book' was good. Now over six months into the crisis they announce they will stop selling sub-prime loans. :angry: :angry:

They don't, unfortunately the media in this country mainly consists of boomers who are up to their eye balls in BTL :(

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wonder if an EA would take the government to the European Court Of Human Rights, as all this withdrawl of easy credit creates a two-tier credit market and is clearly discriminatory to those will no savings

HOLA4414

I wonder what writedown the government would have to make if it was forced to mark to market their mortgage book?

I would be laughing if I wasnt a UK taxpayer......

They should have let it go under IMO, obviously consequences would have been nasty but the likely billions of taxpayers money that will now go down the drain as a result of this bailout is truly appalling.

I mean they could have used the money to extend the "war on terror" into iran :P

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417