House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Mp’s ‘english Invasion’ Warning

AN MP has warned that hordes of English second home-buyers could soon be “massing on the border”.

Plaid Cymru’s Adam Price made the forecast in response to plans to curb second home-buying in England.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has ordered an inquiry in England aimed at tackling the rising number of people who buy houses in rural areas for purely weekend use.

Buyers could find in future that they are caught in red tape, being forced to apply for planning permission for a change in use.

But the new rules, if introduced, would not apply to Wales and the Welsh Assembly Government says it has no plans to bring in a similar policy.

Now Mr Price says he fears second home-seekers who are not keen to go through the process may opt to buy in Wales instead, where the number of holiday homes is already pricing many first-time buyers out of the market.

“There could be a knock-on effect with second home housing refugees massing at the border, deprived of their inalienable right to have a weekend home in the Cotswolds or the Lake District, seeking recompense in Wales,” the Carmarthen East and Dinefwr MP warned.

“That would be a worry for us because it adds further pressure to the rural housing market in Wales.”

Coincidentally, the proposal comes at the same time as a cut in capital gains tax on second homes was announced, which campaigners have warned will lead to more people seeking holiday homes.

Full article:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-...91466-20586344/

Time to get the petrol and the oily rags ready? ;)

If there is a `massing on the border` then a tactical nuclear shell (fired from a Scrapheap Challenge contraption) should do the job. If you`re worried about damage to property use an enhanced-radiation device (aka neutron bomb) and just move everyone back in once the evil English imperialists are radded-up and off to die in some overcrowded NHS facility!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_nuclear_weapons

I've never understood why it's a "bad thing" for people from one part of the UK to live in another part of the UK but it's a "good thing" that my home town has gone being almost completely (hideously?) white forty years ago to being 25% South Asian Muslim today.

These Welsh people don't seem to be celebrating muticultural diversity, do they? Tut, tut, they'll have the Thought Police on to them.

For that matter, I don't recall Margaret Hodge ever speaking out against the Eisteddfod. All those Welsh people doing Welsh language things, in Wales. As an Englishman I feel terrribly excluded, even though I've never interest in it, certainly don't want to go and haven't actually set foot in Wales in over ten years. I demand compensation.

Or to paraphrase "Welsh people horrified by concept that people who dont look, sound, speak like them might want to move to Wales. Calm was restored when they were reminded wales is a xenophobic provincial back water of little interest to anyone apart from American tourists discovering their imaginary celtic roots who got lost at the turning to Ireland"

Edited by ruggedtoast

Time to get the petrol and the oily rags ready? ;)

Reminds me of the "Not the Nine O Clock News" spoof advert based on a coal advert at the time.

"Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales"

:lol:

Edited by rover2000

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
If the Welsh Parliament haven't got the common sense to introduce similar measures, then of course this is going to happen. Duh!

They're all hopin' to sell these rich newcomers all their BTL investments, like.

There are plenty of Welsh and Scottish people who live in England - surely it should be tolerated if the English want to live in either of the other countries. As for second homes, that is a contenious issue and does generate a lot of sympathy if locals find they are priced out of the market. I hope that this Nationalisation is recognised as the danger it could become - you only have to look at former countries like Yugoslavia (although I'll admit religion has also played a part).

As an Englishman I feel terrribly excluded, even though I've never interest in it, certainly don't want to go and haven't actually set foot in Wales in over ten years. I demand compensation.

How do you think the 90% of Welsh people who speak no Welsh - being able to say bora da does not mean you can be counted as speaking Welsh but that is what the Assembly counts - feel?

No chance of anything being burnt down. All the Welsh Nats I know have made fortunes from various Welsh QUANGOs over the past 25 years. Many are millionaires now. "Please sir, can I have another 100 mill for a Welsh language website?". My fav QUANGO at the moment are the people being paid to come up with Welsh names for various curries!

I've never understood why it's a "bad thing" for people from one part of the UK to live in another part of the UK but it's a "good thing" that my home town has gone being almost completely (hideously?) white forty years ago to being 25% South Asian Muslim today.

These Welsh people don't seem to be celebrating muticultural diversity, do they? Tut, tut, they'll have the Thought Police on to them.

This is about second homes, not about people living in another part of the UK.

This is about second homes, not about people living in another part of the UK.

If it's just about second homes why do they mention that the buyers are English? Surely that's irrelevant?

The fact is it's not about second homes at all. It's all about anti-English prejudice.

If it's just about second homes why do they mention that the buyers are English? Surely that's irrelevant?

The fact is it's not about second homes at all. It's all about anti-English prejudice.

Yup.

well, I see no problem with it... as long as we get to do the same to the scotch and welch that come up to Town to work during the week, driving up the price of pieds a terre all over the area, deny a chance for inner city slum dwellers to live on the estates they were brought up in.

They mention the English because of new legislation being brought in by the English parliament. The new legislation will make it harder for people to buy second homes in England. The Welsh MP is quite right to point out what might happen. He is to be applauded (and I am English btw). It's a pity our own Government did not have this Welsh MP's forsight in considering what may happen when we practically have an open border EU policy.

They mention the English because of new legislation being brought in by the English parliament. The new legislation will make it harder for people to buy second homes in England. The Welsh MP is quite right to point out what might happen. He is to be applauded (and I am English btw). It's a pity our own Government did not have this Welsh MP's forsight in considering what may happen when we practically have an open border EU policy.

There is no such thing as the English parliament, which is the nub of the problem really. A Scottish politician decides to bolster his support in England by using the UK state to enquire into what would be an internal English issue if England had the same rights to govern itself that Wales and Scotland have been granted.

The problem here arises from the Welsh Assembly's refusal to look into an issue that England can only have addressed by the UK state. It sums up the sheer lunacy of trying to create a quasi-federal system that excludes the one country that makes up 85% of the population of the entire state.

Edited by bob_apples

Guest anorthosite

And people say the Scots and the Welsh have a chip on their shoulder :o

Bord smoothio - Ironing Board

No sh1t this is 100% true Welsh, guaranteed!

Welshing things up seems to be a growth industry as the minority try to resuscitate an almost dead language.

I am not saying the language should be removed from the region (note I say region and not country - Act of Union etc.) but I don't think it should be forced on the non speaking majority.

And it makes the road signs confusing, hard to read quickly and, enormous.

Gwasanaethau = Services

Araf is better as it's the same length as Slow.

I do like the place though, but there are far too many speed cameras.

TFH

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

At a guess, because second home buyers tend to come from the most prosperous areas. You make a fair point though, they could have excluded the Northern English from the category of likely second-home buyers, I would think ;)

And people say the Scots and the Welsh have a chip on their shoulder :o

I don't.

I think their politicians love to play to the mob by insulting the English and I know there will always be some people stupid enough to cheer them on. After all, it's so much easier to blame the English than to take responsibility for your own life.

Let's just take a look at that original story:

1. The UK government is allegedly considering introducing restrictions on second home ownership in England.

2. They are restricting themselves to England because such issues are apparently within the remit of the devolved authorities in the rest of the UK.

3. The Welsh Assembly is not looking into this issue.

4. England is not allowed to have a devolved authority so if the issue is to be looked into at all it has to be done at UK level.

5. Some minor Welsh politician is using this to have a few cheap shots at the English with emotive talk of "refugees massing at the border".

I actually have some sympathy for the people who are finding that their villages are deserted for most of the year. I've got a simple solution for them - don't sell your houses to non-locals. Trouble is, they won't get the best price for their property then, will they?

If we are going to introduce restrictions then I second the earlier poster's suggestion that we restrict the sale of "pieds a terre" in London. All those contractors I work with who fly down from Glasgow every week will have to start staying in hotels. Perhaps we can have "special" hotels for them - tents on Hackney Marshes with a big fence around them and a curfew.

I actually have some sympathy for the people who are finding that their villages are deserted for most of the year. I've got a simple solution for them - don't sell your houses to non-locals. Trouble is, they won't get the best price for their property then, will they?

The people most affected are not the ones who sold, by definition. One solution would be for the Welsh Assembly to go along with what's happening in England and implement similar rules, but hey they're politicians and probably even more useless than most Westminster MPs. Another possible solution would be to tackle it by hiking the council tax on second homes, though I'm not sure if devolved parliaments have the authority to legislate in this area.

If we are going to introduce restrictions then I second the earlier poster's suggestion that we restrict the sale of "pieds a terre" in London. All those contractors I work with who fly down from Glasgow every week will have to start staying in hotels. Perhaps we can have "special" hotels for them - tents on Hackney Marshes with a big fence around them and a curfew.

Don't worry, the work that brings them down to London will soon be drying up, problem solved :P

I think their politicians love to play to the mob by insulting the English and I know there will always be some people stupid enough to cheer them on. After all, it's so much easier to blame the English than to take responsibility for your own life.

True. Although it always seem to be the Unionist politicians who do it. The Nats agree with you - the current political settlement is a fudge to prop up Labour and is deeply unfair to the English.

On the wider point, I don't think it needs to be broken down into nationalities - the issue is people from high house price areas selling up and moving to lower priced areas. In the UK, the highest priced area is in SE England, so...

I imagine people in Devon or the Lakes are just as hostile to the process, but wouldn't consider themselves "Anti-English". Remote, rural areas also attract as disproportionate quota of incomers who are crystal-rubbers, reiki healers, cat ladies and "not our sort of people, dear" wannabe lords of the manor - the normal ones can get tarred with the same brush.