House Price Crash Forum

Then Think We're All Morons

HOLA441

UNBELIEVABLE. Alistair Darling wants to take the boom'n'bust out of the housing market!

They've engineered a 10 year boom after Gordon Brown saying "I will not allow house prices to get out of control" - now they are positioning themselves to stabilise the market - after a 10 year boom!

It really is a complete F***ING P!SSTAKE.

Someone throw a custard pie at them. After all, we're in some sort of farce apparently.

HOLA442
HOLA443
I truly believe he does want to take boom and bust out of the market. He just wants the boom. Unfortunately, reality dictates that this is not possible.

I do hope so. For our children's sake.

I hope they don't find some way of worming out of the bust. It they don't - I know both my children will emigrate.

HOLA444
UNBELIEVABLE. Alistair Darling wants to take the boom'n'bust out of the housing market!

They've engineered a 10 year boom after Gordon Brown saying "I will not allow house prices to get out of control" - now they are positioning themselves to stabilise the market - after a 10 year boom!

I've never known a government to act so clearly in the interests of one generation against another. And to think they were elected on a platform of yoof and cool Britannia...

HOLA445
I've never known a government to act so clearly in the interests of one generation against another. And to think they were elected on a platform of yoof and cool Britannia...

Well, looking at some of the prices at the auction below, I think you will find we are starting to head VERY RAPIDLY towards sensible pricing. Check out the PDF of the properties. MAny of them are complete dumps, but a few look reasonable, probably need a little work to them, but we are talking SUB 50K for bed terraced properties. I wonder how many of the owners were previous NR customers? :lol:

PDF Here

HOLA446

Labour reminds me of a bunch of little kids that have decided that magic surely must work, and if one believes in something strong enough, it will come to pass.

This is another 'winner' -- just like the hare-brained idea to make the hard shoulder on the M-way a cheapo 3rd lane... and not to mention the hilarious idea of letting a central computer systems drive everyone's car to avoid accidents.

Nothing is too stupid for this government, but it's kinda fun to wait and see what silly stuff they come up with next. Will it be making the illegal even more illegal? Or will they come up with legislation to suspend the gravity supply?

HOLA447

All through the last 15 years they have just taken the easy option to deliver short term gain and ride the resulting wave of popularity. They have never had a plan for when the money ran out and trying to make one now is laughable. Darling is now talking about plans to lock the stable door when the horse hasn't just bolted, it was driven off to the nackers yard five years ago.

HOLA448
HOLA449
No "democratic" government in the history of fiat currency has ever been able to control asset markets. Labour are a bunch of unqualified career politicians. What makes anyone think they can do it now?

You are right. It's too late now.

If they had legislated against second home ownership ...

If they had legislated against unbridled BTL with people building portfolios of hundreds of properties using domino borrowing ...

If they had legislated / regulated the credit markets when they saw it getting out of control ...

This **XY government has been legislation mad. 2 new acts a day for the last 10 years. But none of their legislation has done any good. If I were prime minister next time around I would simply pass one act to repeal every bit of legislation passed by this lot since they got in.

In fact, come to think of it, I would repeal all legislation and try to whittle the legislative process down to say 10 fundamental principles or commandments (and I'm not a religious nutter either!).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Surely New Labour is going to the history dustbin sooner than they expect (if they do at all...)

But are they? Cameron should be hanging them out to dry at the moment. There is so much to shoot at it's hard to know where to point the gun first. But he is letting them off the hook.

Even George Osborne on Andrew (I agree with everything everyone says) Marr on Sunday morning sounded so bloody lame. This lot have a record you can tear to shreds. Why aren't they being torn to shreds. Instead of parroting Gordon Brown about stability they should be tearing into him...

"Gordon Brown's famous stability is a sham. It's been bought by every single person in this country, and the government, going massively into debt. People are paying twice the tax they did in 1997 and are not getting value for money. We HAVE to run things better to get the tax burden down and to let the economy grow through research and investment, not borrowing."

Anyone can borrow their way to fund growth.

You can borrow more to maintain your lifestyle. But you can't do it forever. Sooner or later you have to pay it back. Now it's payback time but the people are broke because of the endless tax increases.

The Tories need to ram it down people's throats. You are finding things tougher because of the huge increase in taxation and lies about inflation.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Someone throw a custard pie at them. After all, we're in some sort of farce apparently.

Relax my friend there is not a single politician who will prevent the bust. Too late for that corrupt muppets couldn't cut the rates quick enough when HPI was running @ 25% yoy. Too many have been sold a false dream and now the game is up, as Mr Average can't insert coin to continue so some idiot politicians think they can insert the coin they don't have!

Interesting times ahead I feel sorry for Alistair Darling who is just a foot soldier doing what he's been told to save his boss' backside..

HOLA4414
You are right. It's too late now.

If they had legislated against second home ownership ...

If they had legislated against unbridled BTL with people building portfolios of hundreds of properties using domino borrowing ...

If they had legislated / regulated the credit markets when they saw it getting out of control ...

Yeah, and they'd have lost the 2001 election.

HOLA4415
Yeah, and they'd have lost the 2001 election.

I'm not so sure. If they'd said ...

"we're legislating so people from outside cannot price youngsters out of their local community ..."

"we're legislating so people cannot price youngsters out of the housing market by building huge property portfolios on borrowed money ..."

"we're legislating to prevent banks from lending the same money over and over again, encouraging people to take on unmanageable debts in the process ..."

I think they would have won a bigger majority. I, for one, would have voted for them!

HOLA4416
I'm not so sure. If they'd said ...

"we're legislating so people from outside cannot price youngsters out of their local community ..."

"we're legislating so people cannot price youngsters out of the housing market by building huge property portfolios on borrowed money ..."

"we're legislating to prevent banks from lending the same money over and over again, encouraging people to take on unmanageable debts in the process ..."

I think they would have won a bigger majority. I, for one, would have voted for them!

That would have been another first. A government dedicated to working for the common good wins an election. The electorate are too stupid to make up their own mind based on their social, economic and political knowledge. They need Murdoch to do it for them.

HOLA4417
That would have been another first. A government dedicated to working for the common good wins an election. The electorate are too stupid to make up their own mind based on their social, economic and political knowledge. They need Murdoch to do it for them.

Isn't every government dedicated to working for the common good? At least, isn't that how they start out? I think when they get in power they just find the job is too big for them. Everyone (their civil service advisors) tells them what they can't do rather than what they can.

I wonder what Blair thinks he achieved in his 10 year tenure.

I guess cynicism rules.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
In fact, come to think of it, I would repeal all legislation and try to whittle the legislative process down to say 10 fundamental principles or commandments (and I'm not a religious nutter either!).

The FSA works off a principle based rather than legislation based approach, and look how well that's worked out.