House Price Crash Forum
BoomBoom

Thatcher's Britain Vs Brown/blair's Britain

Thatcher's Britain: If you were smart and motivated then there were a lot of opportunities for you and far fewer truly talented people ended up on the scrapheap than do now.

Brown/Blair's Britain: Talent and intelligence are almost irrelevant. Real skills are out of fashion, the way to get ahead in modern Britain is to simply ********. The brain drain is worse now than it has ever been and those with hard earned skills are insulted with pocket money salary offers.

My point? If you weren't a confounded moron then chances are you were much better off under Thatcher's Britain.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
My point? If you weren't a confounded moron then chances are you were much better off under Thatcher's Britain.

Were you an adult in the early 80s ?

If you was a spiv Thatcher loved you, as she worshipped her son a spiv of the first order ;)

Read Serpico`s posts they are eye opening, as in his case she nearly destroyed me, 10 years hard work gone in a stroke of her knife.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Greed has always been with us. All Thatcher did was replace the greed of the coal miners with the greed of the yuppies!

Greed of the Miners :blink: did you know after their biggest payrise to £33 per week an average three bed semi was £10k being nearly 6 times their earnings. :huh:

Greed of the Miners :blink: did you know after their biggest payrise to £33 per week an average three bed semi was £10k being nearly 6 times their earnings. :huh:

Yes Charlie, and now we have people with degrees in jobs paying 14k a year. People with real skills, no offense to miners but it was never anything more than grunt work.

I didn't like Thatcher at all, although I respect her because she stood by her beliefs. Do you know during the Falklands War the French were in the process of selling an anti ship missile to the Argentina that would threaten the Navies fleet. Mrs Thatcher called the French president and warned him that if the transaction took place she would order the bombing of Argentina....it worked.

Loath her but respect her as she was the best PM this country has had in a long time.

This is probably why my mining forebears ([great] grandfather's generation) lived in 2-up 2-down terraces ;)

Yes Charlie, and now we have people with degrees in jobs paying 14k a year. People with real skills, no offense to miners but it was never anything more than grunt work.

I only hope that the day comes soon that you realise how offensive that actually is.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
no offense to miners but it was never anything more than grunt work.

The mind boggles. :blink:

Some / Most people with degrees do not have real skills. Engineers have skills, doctors have skills, etc etc. And by the way British Coal trained some of our most skilled engineers.......???????????????????????...have you ever worked down a pit?

Guest Charlie The Tramp
have you ever worked down a pit?

How this subject fetches back memories of 60 years ago.

In school assembley you would pray each morning for the protection and safe keeping of the Miners and Fisherman.

Today they have both been s**t on, welcome to the new world order. :rolleyes:

Who is most important to the population today, a person with let`s say a degree in English Literature or a Flusher. ;)

How this subject fetches back memories of 60 years ago.

In school assembley you would pray each morning for the protection and safe keeping of the Miners and Fisherman.

Today they have both been s**t on, welcome to the new world order. :rolleyes:

Who is most important to the population today, a person with let`s say a degree in English Literature or a Flusher. ;)

Too right people think just because it's dirty work there's no skill. Most of the graduates I meet are lacking in real world skills, which is the reason why many are doing jobs that school leavers are doing. A degree means nothing, those graduates that get good jobs would of done just as well without the degree.

Some / Most people with degrees do not have real skills. Engineers have skills, doctors have skills, etc etc. And by the way British Coal trained some of our most skilled engineers.......???????????????????????...have you ever worked down a pit?

So the average miner had an advanced engineering degree did he? Or was he in fact just a labourer? Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not suggesting they were not entitled to a good standard of living, but things are immeasurably worse now. Now we have companes wanting a qualified chemist to do lab work for 14k a year.

Too right people think just because it's dirty work there's no skill. Most of the graduates I meet are lacking in real world skills, which is the reason why many are doing jobs that school leavers are doing. A degree means nothing, those graduates that get good jobs would of done just as well without the degree.

A degree in a real subject means a lot. You've been blindsided by the propaganda of the CBI lobby. Of course they want you to believe that all UK graduates are feckless idiots, because it suits their agenda of creating a deflationary wage environment, which is backed up by threats to offshore just about anything that can be sent offshore.

Create your own reality. Big gordo and Lady Thatcher don`t need to be in it if you don`t want them to. They will face their maker just as you will. Don`t worry you have as much "power" as any establisment figure. They know it , you don`t. ( addressed to any sheeple reading the post)

Guest Charlie The Tramp
So the average miner had an advanced engineering degree did he? Or was he in fact just a labourer?

No he was a person who risked his own life to rescue his comrades during a mine disaster, it is the same today Globally as it has always been in the past.

Also not forgetting the biggest risk health wise known as the dust. ;)

BTW Thatcher despised these type of people.

So the average miner had an advanced engineering degree did he? Or was he in fact just a labourer? Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not suggesting they were not entitled to a good standard of living, but things are immeasurably worse now. Now we have companes wanting a qualified chemist to do lab work for 14k a year.

British Coal trained all manner of people including chemists and the work you are talking about is a little more dangerous than laying block paving. So I would say a miner is worth more than your qualified chemist on 14k. We all know what the CBI says and we all know what graduates are....they are people like you and me and just because they have been to Uni doesn't make them a special case. If they have chosen the wrong subject and the end salary is crap then do something else, don't start crying about how the world owes you a living coz you have a degree. Millions of working class Britons have to work in badly paid jobs and these people could of been your doctors, engineers, chemists etc etc....

Mining jobs like most industries ranged from the unskilled, through the semi skilled and skilled trades to professional engineers. All their jobs got wiped out when the mining industry was decimated regardless of their qualifications. The fact that companies now think its reasonable to pay peanuts to qualified chemists is just the natural end result of what began back in the 1980s.

No he was a person who risked his own life to rescue his comrades during a mine disaster, it is the same today Globally as it has always been in the past.

Also not forgetting the biggest risk health wise known as the dust. ;)

BTW Thatcher despised these type of people.

Any morally normal person would come to the aid of their 'comrades' if they were in peril. People do it everyday, it's not some special duty undertaken by miners.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
The fact that companies now think its reasonable to pay peanuts to qualified chemists is just the natural end result of what began back in the 1980s.

Would that be under Margaret Thatcher`s stewardship ? :unsure::rolleyes:

British Coal trained all manner of people including chemists and the work you are talking about is a little more dangerous than laying block paving. So I would say a miner is worth more than your qualified chemist on 14k. We all know what the CBI says and we all know what graduates are....they are people like you and me and just because they have been to Uni doesn't make them a special case. If they have chosen the wrong subject and the end salary is crap then do something else, don't start crying about how the world owes you a living coz you have a degree. Millions of working class Britons have to work in badly paid jobs and these people could of been your doctors, engineers, chemists etc etc....

I see. But you fully support the bleating of the miners for more money? Could they have not pursued better careers? Maybe they made the wrong choice.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Any morally normal person would come to the aid of their 'comrades' if they were in peril. People do it everyday, it's not some special duty undertaken by miners.

Really, what planet do you live on, a few may, and pay with their lives, but any morally normal person ( now a dying breed ) would back off, of course I exclude the Armed Forces.

Mining jobs like most industries ranged from the unskilled, through the semi skilled and skilled trades to professional engineers. All their jobs got wiped out when the mining industry was decimated regardless of their qualifications. The fact that companies now think its reasonable to pay peanuts to qualified chemists is just the natural end result of what began back in the 1980s.

Hardly. It was not cost effective to mine our coal anymore and the government chose to stop propping up the coal industry.

Really, what planet do you live on, a few may, and pay with their lives, but any morally normal person ( now a dying breed ) would back off, of course I exclude the Armed Forces.

Go away Charlie, your willingness to distort observed reality to suit you argument is tedious. Every single day people save the lives of complete strangers, motivated by nothing more than human solidarity.

Doctors,engineers, chemists, don`t have any special place in my reality I`m afraid, neither does big Gordo or Maggie, they are just a couple of individuals who know that their reality is stronger than your reality. Let them go on their journey and let you go on your journey, and for F*cks sake let the sheeple wake up to reality.