House Price Crash Forum
newbee

Disappearing Estate Agents

our local paper in the south east commented that several estate agents had closed. I have checked at there have been 10 closures in the past three months, some being fanchieses. Any one else noticed this in there area.

Sure sign of trouble ahead :rolleyes:

R.I.P. the one by the roundabout at Highbury Corner (can't remember the name, I'll take a photo this week).

Are you reading this Foxtons? You're not far behind!

our local paper in the south east commented that several estate agents had closed. I have checked at there have been 10 closures in the past three months, some being fanchieses. Any one else noticed this in there area.

Sure sign of trouble ahead :rolleyes:

A few around these parts too. What I've noticed is that it tends to be branches of agents that have more than one office in the area that are going. The drop in turnover has to be causing them real pain but I also think that moving a lot of their advertising online is probably reducing the need for physical premises also. Any EAs on here who can comment on the latter point?

:D what is this obsession you have with this Foxton's branch?

Did you pop in for that cup of coffee or did the prospect of drinking from the cup of satan repulse you too much?

R.I.P. the one by the roundabout at Highbury Corner (can't remember the name, I'll take a photo this week).

Are you reading this Foxtons? You're not far behind!

:D what is this obsession you have with this Foxton's branch?

Did you pop in for that cup of coffee or did the prospect of drinking from the cup of satan repulse you too much?

They are the bellweather for London and the SE, in my opinion. They have been the worst of the rampers, running a business model analogous to Northern Rock and when they go the same way it will be confirmation of the "100% correct, guaranteed" predictions.

A few around these parts too. What I've noticed is that it tends to be branches of agents that have more than one office in the area that are going. The drop in turnover has to be causing them real pain but I also think that moving a lot of their advertising online is probably reducing the need for physical premises also. Any EAs on here who can comment on the latter point?

We noticed on property bee, that one agent had changed all it's details to "New Malden Branch" from something else.

So that could be supporting your view there.

I won't dispute that, highly amusing though I can imagine you sticking pins in effigies of Foxton estate agents (and those awfully irritating mini's they drive).

They are the bellweather for London and the SE, in my opinion. They have been the worst of the rampers, running a business model analogous to Northern Rock and when they go the same way it will be confirmation of the "100% correct, guaranteed" predictions.

In the Worksop Gaurdian, on Friday, it was reported that the Worksop branch of The Nottingham estate agents is closing by the end of March and there were also 3 other branches of the Estate Agency that are being considered for closing but the decision as to which ones hadnt been made yet.

I did feel a bit sorry for them but then remembered the remarks I would get when I would tell them that the property we had viewed with them wasnt worth anything like what it was on the market for.

The NAEA run a levy system that makes all members contribute to a fund during good times to help estate agents who fall on hard times. The first thing it guarantees to pay for (in the event of a redundant member making a valid claim following redundancy) is the remainder of the contract hire payments for the car. All cars up to the standard Audi TT are covered. Minis, in particular, green ones with nauseating yellow writing on, are particularly welcomed.

However, the drivers of such cars are rarely allowed to be members of such an august trade body.

The fund's primary purpose is to keep redundant EA's going so that they do not consider leaving the industry and going back to double glazing.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
The NAEA run a levy system that makes all members contribute to a fund during good times to help estate agents who fall on hard times. The first thing it guarantees to pay for (in the event of a redundant member making a valid claim following redundancy) is the remainder of the contract hire payments for the car. All cars up to the standard Audi TT are covered. Minis, in particular, green ones with nauseating yellow writing on, are particularly welcomed.

However, the drivers of such cars are rarely allowed to be members of such an august trade body.

The fund's primary purpose is to keep redundant EA's going so that they do not consider leaving the industry and going back to double glazing.

If it's run by estate agents, some **** will have spent the fund money already and disappeared.

I so much hope that Foxtons goes bankrupt....every house they put on the market is massiv overpriced :angry:

Surely they must be in trouble... the office in Park Lane must be very expensive to run, also they tend to place themselves in the prime high streets and have expensive shop fittings and a fllet of sh*tty minis

Talking to a number of EAs presently its not a problem getting clients on their books to SELL, people are queuing up to put their PROPERTY on the MARKET. The problem is there are no BUYERS. EAs problem is now getting advertising large enough to display all the Properties available as more and more are becoming available but nothing is shifting . The SPRING BOUNCE has turned into the SPRING FLOP :lol::lol: .

The people who bought Foxtons have asked the former owner for their money back by all accounts. He has offered to buy it back for half price claiming that in the few months that they have owned it, the new owners have single-handedly ruined the London property market.

The new owners were not available for comment.

The people who bought Foxtons have asked the former owner for their money back by all accounts. He has offered to buy it back for half price claiming that in the few months that they have owned it, the new owners have single-handedly ruined the London property market.

It would be funny if he bought it back for a song and then sold off all the assets. :)

I knew the HPC was upon us when I heard last year that the guy who owned Foxton's sold up. Canny individual.

I knew the HPC was upon us when I heard last year that the guy who owned Foxton's sold up. Canny individual.

Canny is one word to describe him, there's a better word starting with c that would apply in my opinion.