House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Why The Media Blanket Coverage On The Weather?

Jeez, so what, you'd think the world was going to end with this distorted reality, is this another twist on the Orwellian 'Newspeak' govt strategy, only the environment agency can save us eh?

Certainly, in Nineteen Eighty-Four, “[media information] does control some of the ways in which [people] think about and assess the world” (Lewis and Moss 47). The Party is interested in masking the truth, and so the media manipulates language to present a distorted reality. As Orwell says in his essay Politics and the English Language, “Political language . . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind” (150). In the novel, these lies are quite obvious. For example, the media (controlled by the Party, of course) continually refers to the Ministries of Truth, Peace, Love, and Plenty. In reality, however, the Ministry of Truth is concerned with the falsification of records, and the Ministry of Peace deals with warfare. The Ministry of Love is “the really frightening one” (6) as it is essentially a place for the questioning and torturing of suspected criminals. The Ministry of Plenty makes up economic figures to convince the public that the economy is in good shape, even though there are great shortages of all commodities due to the war. Although the irony in the titles is blatantly obvious, Orwell is making a point about how the media can use language to mask the truth.

The totalitarian state of Oceania is in a constant state of war, and part of the Party’s ongoing struggle is to keep the public satisfied with this warfare. If the public were dissatisfied, they would resent the shortage of food and other commodities and possibly rebel against the Party. The Party therefore has to distract the public’s attention away from the negative side of warfare, and they use the media to do this. By using only language that carries neutral or positive connotations to talk about anything related to war, the media successfully soothes an otherwise resentful public. For instance, the media never reports on the “twenty or thirty [rocket bombs] a week falling on London” (28), but rather inundates peoples’ lives with good news about victories. Winston’s telescreen announces, “Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. I am authorised to say that the action we are now reporting may well bring the war within measurable distance of its end” (28). Similar reports follow throughout the entire novel, constantly celebrating the capture of enemies and the conquering of new territories, but never admitting any kind of defeat.

In many ways, the media is relying on the principle that a piece of information that is repeated often enough becomes accepted as truth. Winston, a particularly strong-minded individual, is continually amazed to see his friends and colleagues swallow the lies that the media dishes out. For this form of brainwashing (‘Duckspeak’) to be effective, “you just say things frequently and people eventually understand and say it themselves” (Chilton 27). This brainwashing is done through the words of the telescreens, newspapers and magazines.

http://www.sysdesign.ca/archive/berkes_1984_language.html

Edited by Converted Lurker

Personally, I believe it is a 'race to the bottom' on each story like this.

ie: Who can come up with the trashiest, most sensationalist non-journalism in the shortest space of time.

Personally, I believe it is a 'race to the bottom' on each story like this.

ie: Who can come up with the trashiest, most sensationalist non-journalism in the shortest space of time.

tbh I find it all a bit more sinister than that, I'm more and more turned off, concerned and disillusioned with the media as each day passes., Read FT, surf web for the news I want and relevant to me. It's an achievement of spectacular and deliberate failure that (minus blomberg) we have 24 hour news channels with nothing on except IMHO 'messages' <_<

Edited by Converted Lurker

tbh I find it all a bit more sinister than that, I'm more and more turned off, concerned and disillusioned with the media as each day passes., Read FT, surf web for the news I want and relevant to me. It's an achievement of spectacular and deliberate failure that (minus blomberg) we have 24 hour news channels with nothing on except IMHO 'messages' <_<

Well, I do always refer to the telescreen news as 'old media'.

They will, very soon, be overtaken by the new media formats (you're looking at one now) so they're probably all up in arms trying to work out what to do with a dying format and just sensationalising to sqeeze the last bit out of the ratings (BBC included who see themselves in competition with commercial broadcasters now)

for the same reason this story was brushed under the carpet...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...e#StartComments

as one poster in the comments section below writes.. "How odd, this story does not appear on the BBC News UK Headlines.

They lead with a story about a rail company fine."

It makes me laugh when I hear a bbc reporter / presenter talking about reports from "state run news agencies" in benighted corners of the globe. Pot ..... kettle ....

our media toe the line.

as one poster in the comments section below writes.. "How odd, this story does not appear on the BBC News UK Headlines.

It makes me laugh when I hear a bbc reporter / presenter talking about reports from "state run news agencies" in benighted corners of the globe. Pot ..... kettle ....

our media toe the line.

yep I was shaking my head at the hypocrisy surrounding the criticism of the election in Russia, and watching what's happening with Obama you wonder if that democratic race for the non existence of democracy (heh, does it still come down to how many blacks Jeb Bush allows to vote, pretty crucial for Obama methinks) is being manipulated/elongated by the media for their own benefit...that contest was a no contest and miraculoulsy Hilary bounced back with IMHO over sympathetic and biased media coverage <_<

Guest happy?
They admitted the Wills story was put out as a distraction to any Harry story

So why the extra news about the weather?

Because it's an easy story on a Sunday night - they've lots of library footage of storms, are scared stupid of ever saying there won't be another storm, and the only other domestic story if the liberal (yawn) democrats' conference.

Violent force 11 in Portland and Plymouth and hurricane force 12 in Shannon are definitely weather conditions to alert people about.

Violent force 11 in Portland and Plymouth and hurricane force 12 in Shannon are definitely weather conditions to alert people about.

Aye, I've just been reading the TAFs for my local aerodromes and it's going to get pretty nasty by 0200 ZULU. :ph34r:

Guest happy?

our media toe the line.

Or so the Daily Mail would have you believe - nothing like a critical free press is there? Free all this week Radio Tirana CD as a special thankyou to our readers.

I think it is the threat of coastal flooding rather than a 'bit of wind and rain' that is causing concern. The storm will coincide with some of the highest tides of the year on the South and the West Coast. If you do not like the media you can find a more considered discussion here

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/foru...1&posts=299

Why The Media Blanket Coverage On The Weather?

To satisfy a Daily Express-hungry public, of course!

"House prices jump after Madeleine McCann announces that Duke of Edinburgh killed Diana".

etc.

Guest mattsta1964

Your disillusionment is hardly surprising

As someone who actually THINKS. I find the mainstream media so unbearable, i have banished television from my house.

We live in an age of engineered consent. We DO NOT have a free press.

Very few people realize this............or care what the implications are

our media toe the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriss_Donald

The media were told to play this one down - was it reported on the London news? He was a school boy with no connection at all to his murders. Probably the most vile crime commited in the UK - there are rumors he was castrated.

And according to the BBC's coverage of the storm, Gordie has been taking part in the COBRA meeting by 'phone, and said something twice!

BLOODY COBRA MEETING, Cobra is meant for real disasters and national emergencies. The storm that is coming will probably have zero impact on 99.9% of the population and is best left to the local authorities to deal with it.

This is Gordon and his spin machine working very hard to make him appear as the man who can save the UK from the mother of all storms. It made me laugh how the news is reporting Gordon is liasing with the military, it is a pitty that the official response of the armed forces was not published. The official response from the head of the MOD was that emergency support would be at best very limited due to other commitments.

God I hate this government.

Edited by dubsie

Well, if they didn't have the weather to make a fuss about they might have to report on something boring, like Parliament handing control of the UK to the EUSSR.

Guest anorthosite

Maybe they're paranoid about getting caught short as they were in 1987.

Michael Fish is still on Youtube :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriss_Donald

The media were told to play this one down (...)

To be fair, it appears that the killers were eventually brought to justice by the efforts of the MP Mohammed Sarwar.

Following threats of death, he has resigned his position. Having done the right thing, he is probably keen to avoid further media attention.

our media toe the line.

"Four teenagers - 18-year-old Wasif Khan, 19-year-old Amjad Qazi and two boys aged 15 and 16 who cannot be named - were found guilty of carrying out the attack by a jury on February 14."

You've got to watch out for those juries: they'll attack anyone...

Seriously, wouldn't you expect a journo (even a Daily Mail one) to be able to write vaguely unambiguous text, e.g. '... found guily by a jury of carrying out the attack...'.

Sorry, a bit off-topic there.

Has anyone been drowned or blown away yet ? ITN said that "no-one will escape" the storms. I was a bit worried when I put the cat out last night. Is he likely to have survived ?