House Price Crash Forum
ruggedtoast

Bears! Come Get Your Bear Food. Bears, This Way!

weve had 2 viewings since aug 07.one nice couple offered 1/2 price after we had stayed in all morning and tidied everything away we have just changed agents and reduced £20 000 but thats as low as we're prepared to go.We are booked to go in june and will be going anyway whether sold or not.

Good luck with that attitude

Well I generally do feel a bit sorry for them, or anyone who is in the position of needing to sell their house in order to relocate. Of course they do want to sell at a profit, but I got the feeling that most just want to sell in an ordinary, functioning property market. Clearly it is not at the moment - we are nearing market failure.

If sellers generally will not budge on price, it is not in your favour to sell really cheaply if it will then be impossible to buy again with the proceeds. While I believe that the stare-out will have only one result eventually, the economics will take a long time to feed into the market price.

There definitely seemed to be a troll from HPC on that site.

Somebody's on the ball, perhaps this guy is a HPC'er (sympathize my ass, bet this guy has STR'd and is enjoying that forum)

'I can sympathize with you all, I know what it was like trying to sell our house in 2005 when there was another slowing in the market.

The situation at the moment I think is worse as the banks have tightened up so much.

It's a Mexican stand off, sellers don't want to drop but buyers, ourselves included, are not prepared to take the risk that prices might drop.

We have just signed for a new 1 year lease on a rental and will wait the market out.

You can take some solace though if you are going to WA, you should benefit from a weakening in the market there and the shoe will be back on the other foot'

I do sympathise with them and most, as pointed out in an early post , are not coming across as greedy.

But on the plus side few would be categorised as brain drain. ;)

I think this is all good bear news, a really good view of where the market it today and has been for a while.

Maybe it`s me but I feel sorry for some of those posters, many people on this forum talk of shooting off abroad themselves.

who else is waiting to sell there house....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As title guys and girls i am fed up now as we all have our visas and are looking forward to our new lifes in eaton yet we just need to sell our house and yet we are haveing no lick

what makes this worse though is i got made redundant 4 weeks ago and was hopeing house would sell quickly...

that way a nice fresh start and bit of rest before we set off lol!!

anyway who else is in a similar situation....

Perhaps the OP was an English teacher ... their spelling might explain their redundancy? The Great British education system, eh?

Had 1 viewing in 11 months

Slashed the price to basically cover what we owe on the mortgage......may have about £5k left over

The way we look at it is we can't go to Oz if we haven't sold the house.

1 viewing in 11 months :o ................................................ :lol:

They like every other seller will be trying to get top whack.

The credit cruch to them is just some b0ll0x on the news like the weather 'something thats there but doesnt really affect us'.................untill now.

Now people are realising there is a problem but it will be even longer that they realise its noy just the crunch but prices.

I wonder how many of them could afford to buy their own house at the price they are asking?

Cos I know a lot of people these days cant!

I think I'm right in saying that when there's any kind global recession, Australia gets hits really hard. Commodities really suffer. Maybe if these people are 'lucky' and manage to sell they'll able to jump out of the frying pan........

Those going to Australia could be in trouble. With the UK festering on the edge of a proper crash and Australia taking part in a new resources boom, they could lose on both ends badly if they hang about.

I just read a few of the posts. I bet a few of those who are whinging about not being able to sell/having to drop the asking price, were quite happy to see the "value" of their house go up over the past few years. They`re quite happy to flog their house for an over inflated price and leave the sinking ship though.

Or rats trapped on sinking ship may be more appropriate :huh:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518829

I confess. I just saw the thread title

"come and get your bear food". That was all it took. Not questioning the content, no form of quality control. Clicked on the link.

What is the bear version of a sheeple? Is it a beaple? That must be me, any link that promises bear honey... I seemingly can't resist.

Do I need to attend some sort of Bear-oholics anonymous?Let's all form a circle "My name is optobear, and I am a bearish news-aholic"

They like every other seller will be trying to get top whack.

The credit cruch to them is just some b0ll0x on the news like the weather 'something thats there but doesnt really affect us'.................untill now.

Now people are realising there is a problem but it will be even longer that they realise its noy just the crunch but prices.

I wonder how many of them could afford to buy their own house at the price they are asking?

Cos I know a lot of people these days cant!

Several good points well made.

Nice find this Rugged Toast , the sheeple learning the market isn't booming any more :lol:

Anyone from Leeds will love this dose of reality Sheli's receiving , 275k to possibly 220k in less than a year ........

House has been on the market on/off since April 07... buyer last year at 275k couldn't sell theirs.... dropped to just under 250k, buyer again this year who has admited that their house didn't sell when it was on the market previously so we are def in for the long haul. we did have a cheeky offer for 220k which we declined but it now looks favourable.... we need the money - we aren't sat on a fortune... going to validate in April just have to see how we go on from there.....

Respect to MartinH................

We sold our house last year pretty quickly. It was an identical house to next door (which was sitting unsold for a year) and we sold for EUR 100k less than that house.

Why do people refer to low offers as being "cheeky" - what would you do if the boot was on the other foot? If you know someone is desperate to sell would you not make a low offer?

We sold our house last year pretty quickly. It was an identical house to next door (which was sitting unsold for a year) and we sold for EUR 100k less than that house.

What are the odds that the house next door sits around for another year while its vendors refuse to accept reality?

Who said they're not being greedy????? My bottom they're not.

OK, how much did they buy their house for? They have lived in it for how many years? Why do they expect it to now be worth MORE than they paid for it????

These are the questions that should be put to sellers, before anything else.

If they bought it within the last few years, then you also need to reduce this price further, as the price they paid for it was over-inflated. To get a true price for a property, I would suggest that you need to look at the 2000 price, and increase by inflation - as long as the property has been properly looked after.

To think that you would automatically 'by rights' expect your house to be worth double what you paid for it is, well... Greedy.

Last year I over heard an aussie commuter on the phone to her mum in Australia. She had just had a payrise to around 35k pa (very instructive about her particulars she was to the passengers ) , was in the Uk for another year and was in a state of panic about Australian house prices because at the (then) rate of inflation she considered she'd have been completely priced out by the time she returned.

She'd found aplace on the internet for around 350k AUD and wanted her mum to visit it and give an ok. Sounded very nice and she reckoned it was a bargain.

I was unclear if it was a British or Australian company but she'd had also found a lender that would accept her UK payslips and handle the purchase without her ever being in the country, seeing the property or having any guarantee of a similar income in aus when her visa ran out here.

It didnt sound like her mum thought it was a very good idea as she kept repeating "If I dont buy now I'll never be able to".

I wonder how much of Australias HPI has been based on Aussies in London ramping up prices with sterling denominated loans based on 5 times multiples of their London salaries.