House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Uk Braced For 'worst Winter Storm'

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gu...MhHQErY2-GacJeA

UK braced for 'worst winter storm'

5 hours ago

The worst storm of the winter could slow Britain's transport infrastructure to a standstill on Monday.

Winds of up to 80mph, rain and hailstones are set to batter the country when an intense low-pressure system reaches its shores from midnight.

Airports and ferry companies warned of possible delays and cancellations, while motoring organisations advised drivers to take care in potentially dangerous conditions. Power supplies could be disrupted, trees uprooted and buildings damaged when the storm takes hold. The Environment Agency has urged people to stay away from coastal areas as the storm brings the risk of high waves and flooding.

A Gatwick airport spokesman said the airport was prepared for possible cancellations or delays when the storm strikes. She said: "We are in regular contact with the Met Office, and our airfield operations are ready to take guidance from them.

"Operations are running as usual at the moment, and we have to deal with each issue on its own merit, but if the weather is as bad as currently predicted, there may be delays or cancellations."

A spokesman for Heathrow said the airport was unlikely to make any decisions on delaying or cancelling flights until late on Sunday night or early on Monday, adding: "Bad weather has led to the cancellation of flights in the past. We advise passengers to check with airlines before they travel."

The storm is forecast to develop out of a strong jet stream that moved out of Canada on Saturday, crossing the Atlantic before hitting the UK on Sunday and Monday. It is set to hit the country in two waves, according to Meteogroup UK, the weather division of the Press Association, with more bad weather on the way later this week.

Rachel Vince, senior forecaster at Meteogroup, said the winds would start to pick up soon after midnight, with heavy rain, hail and lightning moving across the country overnight.

"It's unlikely we could expect gales as strong as the 1987 one," she said. "Nevertheless, where you do see the strongest winds you could expect some trees to fall and possibly some structural damage to buildings."

David Rooke, head of flood risk management at the Environment Agency said: "People living in properties in low-lying exposed coastal areas along the south west, Wales and north-west England should make sure they are monitoring the situation from Sunday afternoon onwards by checking flood updates on the Environment Agency website or ringing Floodline."

BTL's have insurance ?

Edited by Ash4781

Yep gotta start new job tommorrow and my car is knackered, so gotta use my motorbike! should be fun!still i@ll be looking forward to getting home and checking the financials(ftse,dow) could be an interesting week ahead(if i survive the commute tommorrow).hpc_brit.jpg

post-12909-1205087510_thumb.jpg

"It's just the lemon next to the pie.... it's gonna get bigger"

I use this site to look at swell and wind and it's usually pretty accuarte. looks like the west is in for a battering around noon tomorrow.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Sur...arts/1/wind/in/

Largest swell hits around six with high tide where I live around seven. Might be light enough to get some pics.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

eurvis_sat_200803091800.jpg

It's a cyclonic bum

post-8170-1205088485_thumb.jpg

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"It's just the lemon next to the pie.... it's gonna get bigger"

I use this site to look at swell and wind and it's usually pretty accuarte. looks like the west is in for a battering around noon tomorrow.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Sur...arts/1/wind/in/

Largest swell hits around six with high tide where I live around seven. Might be light enough to get some pics.

This one is pretty good too;

Windguru

maybe they are trying to put the city boys off of coming to work, I suspect they will cancel all the trains into London, as the Market Crashes around the world there will be nobody at work in the City to sell off the stocks here.

I'm gonna find the biggest hill I can, grab the bottom of my coat and pull it high over my head and run as fast as I can down the hill. Can't wait.

Guest anorthosite
I'm gonna find the biggest hill I can, grab the bottom of my coat and pull it high over my head and run as fast as I can down the hill. Can't wait.

The totally insane and deranged part of me wants to unpack the paraglider and drive to Beachy Head :o

Wonder if my old log cabin 'studio flat' will survive? It was getting a bit rattly on the windy days last winter.

In the last few minutes here in Swansea it has gone from calm to heavy gusts. Oh dear... My guttering fell off last week...

As I was scrolling past that, I thought it said "My gussetting fell off last week". I just didn't know what to think.