House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Newsweek Warns Of Global Cooling

Wonder if the government would still be parading their "Stop Global Warming" campaign during an Ice age?

No because it will be the UN that applies the *global* tax.

And by then they will find another justification for their fraudulent tax.

I think the problem isn't the number of articles in 1970's but the average temp is dropping according to http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadle...html#g_a_r_temp right back down.

Those charts back up the quote in another page on the same site which an earlier posted linked to:

"an underlying rise over the longer term almost certainly caused by man-made emissions of greenhouse gases."

Seems like there's an upward trend in there. That's before you start to consider El Nino / La Nina & Los Ninnies.

The upward trend is merely a reflection of an uber-bullish asset bubble. I'm calling the top and shorting climate futures.

Oh, wait... :D

As for those who keep protesting that any post that doesn't explicitly mention the words "house" + "price" + "crash" is therefore off-topic, needs quickly to comprehend that house prices do not exist in a vacuum (a bubble, even) apart from the wider economy. EVERYthing that happens in the wider economy will have some kind of effect on house prices. So stop being so narrow-minded and in the process causing really important and apposite thread like the gold thread to be moved into a sub-forum.

The main reason I visit this site is not because of the constant banging on about falls in house prices - for goodness' sake, we've got the message - but because of the valuable and informative posts about the wider economy that explain WHY house prices are falling and therefore where they may go in future.

I get peed off with the type of poster who is so narrow minded that they cannot cope with related topics and constantly demand that every post has to be so narrow in terms of houses and prices as to be meaningless repetition. And I'm unhappy that a lot of posters who used to post very informative info, recently have been driven away from this site as a result, one assumes, of these narrow-minded posters bleating "off-topic, off-topic, off with their heads." If it weren't for the likes of posters like Extradrymartini and others of his ilk and knowledge, I would not bother to visit this forum. And I'm pretty sure that there are more like me.

Has anyone else mentioned that the Global Cooling article was written in1975???

Global cooling, or 'are we heading for the next ice-age?' was a widely publicised scare at the time - it didn't happen. The same will probably turn out to be the case with global warming.

Edited by conifer

Has anyone else mentioned that the Global Cooling article was written in1975???

Global cooling, or 'are we heading for the next ice-age?' was a widely publicised scare at the time - it didn't happen. The same will probably turn out to be the case with global warming.

I think (hope) that is the point the OP was trying to make. Global waming is the latest and greatest scare story (think Y2K, BSE, AIDS, Bird Flu, etc, etc) that the press have latched on to. When an ex-vice president on the US starts banging the drum (while still burning carbon like it was going out of fashion) you have to wonder to yourself about the agenda...

If there was a supervolcano eruption, like the one that happened in the US a couple of hundred thousand years ago then global cooling could indeed happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

Geologists think that the same volcanic system erupts every 200,000 years or so. ie: we are due for one in the next few thousand years!

Live for today, cos we are all dead in the long run.

Mind you an HPC seems a virtual certainty compared to the probability of global cooling...

Edited by 2MeterBear

No-one seems to mention the benefits of higher CO2 levels - such as higher crop yields.

Errr - Probably because there isnt a benefit. Most plants / crops are adapted to co2 levels around 280ppm. You need to increase other inputs such as energy (sunshine), water and nutrients to benefit from increased co2. This is why co2 enrichment only works really well in a glasshouse. In the nautral world the plants just dont have to work as hard with a richer souce of C02.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

I think (hope) that is the point the OP was trying to make. Global waming is the latest and greatest scare story (think Y2K, BSE, AIDS, Bird Flu, etc, etc) that the press have latched on to. When an ex-vice president on the US starts banging the drum (while still burning carbon like it was going out of fashion) you have to wonder to yourself about the agenda...

Aids a scare story :blink:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Wonder if the government would still be parading their "Stop Global Warming" campaign during an Ice age?

They'll be calling it 'a moderate slowdown in warming growth'

No-one seems to mention the benefits of higher CO2 levels - such as higher crop yields.

Just one more degree of warming, and the rice crop fails across large chunks of Asia.

They'll be calling it 'a moderate slowdown in warming growth'

Or they will use some clever accounting trick and report that the temperature is 5 degrees warmer than it really is. Perhaps the missing degrees will be accounted for off balance sheet?

Aids a scare story :blink:

Yes. If you lived through the 80s and heard the hyperbole about AIDS, you would understand.

It is of course, a terrible virus, leading to an unpleasant end but the number of cases has remained low and fairly static in most countries. This was not what the scientific community predicted but is hardly surprising as it is easily avoided if you take precautions.