House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Alistair Darling To Hit Family Cars With £2,000 Tax

:lol:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3512212.ece

THE cost of family cars is set to rise under plans for a new “showroom tax” to be unveiled in this week’s budget.

Alistair Darling is planning a series of green taxes designed to force consumers to become more environmentally friendly. The centrepiece of the chancellor’s first budget is expected to be a levy on new cars, which could put £2,000 on the price of the largest “gas guzzlers”.

However, it will hit also families buying saloons, estates and people carriers. “People don’t take much account of the cost of car tax and fuel when buying a car, it is the price sticker in the showroom that makes the difference,” said a senior Treasury official.

Laffer curve, anyone?

I would not mind green taxes if the government would make reductions elsewhere, perhaps by increasing the tax exempt portion of one's income from the crappy £5500 odd it is now. They will not of course - it will just be yet another tax.

Britain has been transformed from a low taxed European nation to a high taxed one by this government. One that seems to have no appreciation for the population it forces support its whims and fancy ideas, all of which cost a lot and achieve nothing.

Edited by Ah-so

Have not this government worked out that if you tax, tax, tax people, they no longer have any money to spend in the economy.

People are already broke and up to their eyeball in debt!

They are idiots! or TRAITORS.

Its twaddle and annoying.

We do next to no miles in a safe car that drinks quite a lot of petrol. Don't make us pay more for the car. Make us pay more for the mileage.

We've got pushbikes but don't get a reward for using them (and you'd need a valium after riding on any of the roads round here - and thats when they're "quiet")

We don't fly for our holidays. We catch the train for long journeys wherever possible.

I'm surprised they're not bringing in the carbon allowance - not a whisper of that - but it'd be interesting to have to consider all your carbon footprint before you spend money or turn the heating up.

Make people pay for using more than their fair share.

Will the money taxed be spent on energy projects in the UK ?

Or will it be spent propping up the Coal Miners Bank Northern Rock.

New Labour the party of Tax and Spend, the Party of Nationalisation, and the Party of Corruption.

The government are well and truly stuck.

They NEED more cash. They have to have it and it doesn't matter where from. As they grasp ever increasing amounts of that cash, the productive economy weakens further....and then they need more cash. The willingness of people to evade taxes, to avoid licences or just the plain old inability to pay kicks in and the spiral worsens.

The state is as a financial entity going to collapse in a few areas. It has to. Borrowing is maxed, and taxes can't go much higher. Inflation will turn off investors but is needed to keep the banks running. It's a perfect storm. No matter what they do, it will only make one of the other problems they face worse.

If they try to inflate, then we can't buy our imports we are so dependant upon and strikes will close everything down.

If they try to tax, more wealth creators will leave the UK, and people will find it worthwhile to evade, or will simply stop trying to earn extra for themselves.

If they try to borrow, they need higher interest rates, and that will nuke house prices and all other borrowing.

If they fail to pay, the lights go out and we plunge into chaos.

And the solution to this problem is a tax on people carriers and fags. :lol:

Make people pay for using more than their fair share.

Sorry have to disagree with you, pay for what exactly?

We live in a democracy and a FREE MARKET, where we should be able to spend our 'hard earnt' money in any way we please. The higher your qualifications / harder you work means you (possibly) earn more money, well good on yer. I personally aspire to earn more so one day I too can afford a BIG 4X4, and I don't won't to be paying a high jealousy tax thank you!

We should not be made to feel guilty by the spin of crap that is ‘carbon bl00dy footprints.

We have just gone through an unprecedented period of economic miracles, and payed over 40% in tax, even more in indirect taxes.

Where does Gordon think he is going to tax now ?

He is a fool, and a fool and his money are soon parted.

We have just gone through an unprecedented period of economic miracles, and payed over 40% in tax, even more in indirect taxes.

Where does Gordon think he is going to tax now ?

He is a fool, and a fool and his money are soon parted.

carbon taxes are my fookin favourite.

when is the breathing tax to be announced?

I've always been a Labour voter, but I admit I am left open mouthed at the effect of their policies in recent years. Obviously the whole "environment/green issue" is a farce, and has shamelessly used to rake in even more cash. We pay road tax, but pay it again through parking permits and congestion charges. We pay for the NHS, yet often have to pay again for private health care or dentistry.

Congratulations to Windsor council for deciding to gradually withdraw most of their double yellow lines and create more parking spaces instead. They decided the lines were a blight on their town, and simply a cash cow. No shit sherlock.

As for taxing gas guzzlers, and accidentally hitting families, I'm not convinced it will happen that way. The govt could target 4x4s and not people carriers. It's not rocket science.

Quite a few posters appear to be anti-Labour, as opposed to anti-house price inflation. But the two do not go hand in hand.

Alistair Darling is planning a series of green taxes designed to force consumers to become more environmentally friendly. The centrepiece of the chancellor’s first budget is expected to be a levy on new cars, which could put £2,000 on the price of the largest “gas guzzlers”.

Stupid. Just tax fuel if you want to be green. It is the use of the damn things that is the problem.

On the other hand, if he introduced a Moron Tax covering things like city dwellers buying 4x4s which will never see a country lane, then I could see where he was coming from, but I would like to extend that to boom box Peugeot 106s (although I think they would be better dealt with using RPGs), megadecibel ice cream vans, people with motorbikes which appear to have had the silencers removed, annoying mobile phone ring tones (I work with a cretin who has the Pearl and Dean theme as his ring tone), and, well, a whole range of other things.

Everyone talks about global warming, climate change, carbon footprint etc., but what's been forgotten is that oil is going to run out and for that reason we need to be running more economical cars. The coming oil shortage is staring us in the face just as much as any house price crash, even if it's a bit further off in the future. Why don't car manufacturers offer 2 wheel drive versions of their SUV's for city dwellers. This would save weight, cost and also reduce frictional losses in the drive system - thus making them a little more economical. There is a precedent - even Land Rover made several hundred 2-wheel drive versions for the RAF in the late 1950's for use on airfields.

It really gips me off. One of these days I am going to put together a spreadsheet showing the extra tax over 10 years that a person driving a big BMW 20,000 miles a year would pay over someone driving a cheap micro car 100 miles a month would pay over the same period.

Remember - petrol only costs 30p a litre - or less. The rest is tax.

Stupid. Just tax fuel if you want to be green. It is the use of the damn things that is the problem.

On the other hand, if he introduced a Moron Tax covering things like city dwellers buying 4x4s which will never see a country lane, then I could see where he was coming from, but I would like to extend that to boom box Peugeot 106s (although I think they would be better dealt with using RPGs), megadecibel ice cream vans, people with motorbikes which appear to have had the silencers removed, annoying mobile phone ring tones (I work with a cretin who has the Pearl and Dean theme as his ring tone), and, well, a whole range of other things.

we already have tax on fuel. quite a fookin lot thx.

I want LESS taxes.

why are there so many on here advocating tax increases?

Have you not had enough of the state in your lives?

DO you actuially want more?

poor brainwashed soles.

I've always been a Labour voter, ....

You say you have always been a Labour voter?

Does that mean that you believed in what Labour stood for?

Did you find yourself loosely in agreement with people like, say Tony Benn and Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Harold Wilson and James Callaghan?

If so, what the hell are you doing voting for these self-serving Thatcherite bastards?

Everyone talks about global warming, climate change, carbon footprint etc., but what's been forgotten is that oil is going to run out and for that reason we need to be running more economical cars. The coming oil shortage is staring us in the face just as much as any house price crash, even if it's a bit further off in the future. Why don't car manufacturers offer 2 wheel drive versions of their SUV's for city dwellers. This would save weight, cost and also reduce frictional losses in the drive system - thus making them a little more economical. There is a precedent - even Land Rover made several hundred 2-wheel drive versions for the RAF in the late 1950's for use on airfields.

let the free maqrkets sort it out. not the governments.

the governments are not our parents looking after us.

Why have the Government not invested these taxes in Public Transport ?

Its a no brainer sherlock.

Public Transport doesnt tax people nearly enough, its too clean, and GWB doesnt profit from it.

we already have tax on fuel. quite a fookin lot thx.

I want LESS taxes.

why are there so many on here advocating tax increases?

Have you not had enough of the state in your lives?

DO you actuially want more?

poor brainwashed soles.

No I don't want more tax. But if the plan is to push people toward greener cars, a showroom tax is not the way to do it.

I don't think that makes me brainwashed.

No I don't want more tax. But if the plan is to push people toward greener cars, a showroom tax is not the way to do it.

I don't think that makes me brainwashed.

well i dont want more taxes.

If you do please send it by post as a donation.

Taxes are evil.

I'm supprised we are not hearing cry's of 'foul' from the car manufacturers.

A crackpot government messing with a FREE MARKET!

If was was them I would boycott Briton untill they changed their silly ways (all car manufacturers)!

I personally aspire to earn more so one day I too can afford a BIG 4X4, and I don't won't to be paying a high jealousy tax thank you!

We should not be made to feel guilty by the spin of crap that is ‘carbon bl00dy footprints.

Jealousy tax? Don't make me laugh. Big 4 x 4s are disappearing as fast as 100% mortgages as the majority of people think those driving them are irresponsible dinosaurs - whatever your attitude to carbon footprints. Whether you like it or not, if you want to drive one of these idiot-cars, you WILL be paying the required @rsehole tax, 100% guaranteed.

Jealousy tax? Don't make me laugh. Big 4 x 4s are disappearing as fast as 100% mortgages as the majority of people think those driving them are irresponsible dinosaurs - whatever your attitude to carbon footprints. Whether you like it or not, if you want to drive one of these idiot-cars, you WILL be paying the required @rsehole tax, 100% guaranteed.

the 4x4s guzzle fuel. hence you will pay more fuel tax.

i am against even the d1ckeads who drive them being taxed more.

The government is more evil than 4x4 drivers.

Its not about the car, its about aspiring to better yourself through personal choice, unhindered in a FREE MARKET!

I think well should have a high tax on 'chav' clothing, it promotes crime, violence, and lack of respect! :lol:

You say you have always been a Labour voter?

Does that mean that you believed in what Labour stood for?

Did you find yourself loosely in agreement with people like, say Tony Benn and Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Harold Wilson and James Callaghan?

If so, what the hell are you doing voting for these self-serving Thatcherite bastards?

Actually I believe in balance. Some are left wing, others right wing. But some believe a little of both will maintain some sort of healthy middle way. Our current political scene is completely skewed of course. There is no choice, because the two main parties are ...... exactly the same! Great eh? What a democracy we have.

Anyway, to be specific, I won't be voting for them again for a long while. We are way overdue a change.

You see, all politicians are self serving liars. And the only way to play them successfully is to use them for a short while, and then swap over again. Unfortunately, the current tory party is so ridiculous I coudn't vote for them either. Perhaps if Hague was still in control, I might. But the toff duo of Cameron and Osbourne will NEVER cut it for me. These two jokers actually scare me.

I disagree, most people might be more concerned about the Children and Women being murdered in our names in Iraq.

People driving 4x4 are to be frank not an issue in a sane persons mind.

Please try to get your priorities in order, you appear to have been brainwashed to the programme of "Success equals Jealousy"