House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
0q0

Changing From One Rented To Another

If you don't tell them, can they tell from any search or records that I've rented before? ie is it held on a database etc?

Why do I ask? Current managing agents are not nice folk at all.

Don't want a new landlord to speak with them in case they make mischief.

100% true, guaranteed! lol

I paid my rent etc, but believe me the agent is a right 'un. He could try to jinx it.

So I want to apply to new let agent as if not renting now/before.

Possible or will I be shown as a fibber?

If you don't tell them, can they tell from any search or records that I've rented before? ie is it held on a database etc?

Why do I ask? Current managing agents are not nice folk at all.

Don't want a new landlord to speak with them in case they make mischief.

100% true, guaranteed! lol

I paid my rent etc, but believe me the agent is a right 'un. He could try to jinx it.

So I want to apply to new let agent as if not renting now/before.

Possible or will I be shown as a fibber?

There are loads of HOWTOs and websites that will print false documents for you.

Hell, if you get stuck I`ll say I was your landlord and provide documentary evidence (if you can just cover the postal charges). If we set up a `cooperative` here just imagine how much fun we could have! ;)

There are loads of HOWTOs and websites that will print false documents for you.

Hell, if you get stuck I`ll say I was your landlord and provide documentary evidence (if you can just cover the postal charges). If we set up a `cooperative` here just imagine how much fun we could have! ;)

:D thanks, I appreciatet the kindness! Not to be smug, but I have very good references of my own as fortunate enough to have worked for some people who appreciated me,so don't need false ones! But the existing managing agents & landlord turned into a right bunch of bleepers last year and stabbed me in the back, so I really don't trust them to do me a fair reference for the next landlord.

So, I'd like to know if the landlord of the next place can find out who I rented from before and wonder why I didn't mention them.

:D thanks, I appreciatet the kindness! Not to be smug, but I have very good references of my own as fortunate enough to have worked for some people who appreciated me,so don't need false ones! But the existing managing agents & landlord turned into a right bunch of bleepers last year and stabbed me in the back, so I really don't trust them to do me a fair reference for the next landlord.

So, I'd like to know if the landlord of the next place can find out who I rented from before and wonder why I didn't mention them.

Unless the LL has got a lot of time and resources (like a private investigator) I would say it`s damn near impossible - like trying to find a pin in a haystack of many thousands of haystacks! If you give the LL the reference from your previous property that should be ok - you could just say your current LL emigrated and sold up! ;)

Unless the LL has got a lot of time and resources (like a private investigator) I would say it`s damn near impossible - like trying to find a pin in a haystack of many thousands of haystacks! If you give the LL the reference from your previous property that should be ok - you could just say your current LL emigrated and sold up! ;)

Thanks Southsea, I just wondered if when they use the tenant checking service the service will say "Mr X was checked on such and such a date and he took a rental from such and such a landlord (which'd be my current ghastly landlord).

I'd just prefer to say I'm a STR who's been living with a friend, here's my proof of money/means, here's a character reference, my credit history file is fine, Bob's your uncle, rather than get the current LL and agents involved in a reference.

Possible? From what you say it sounds like it is.

Thanks again.

Thanks Southsea, I just wondered if when they use the tenant checking service the service will say "Mr X was checked on such and such a date and he took a rental from such and such a landlord (which'd be my current ghastly landlord).

I'd just prefer to say I'm a STR who's been living with a friend, here's my proof of money/means, here's a character reference, my credit history file is fine, Bob's your uncle, rather than get the current LL and agents involved in a reference.

Possible? From what you say it sounds like it is.

Thanks again.

Hi LB

I used to tell the truth to everyone about anything they asked (unless it was of a personal nature). I found myself being rejected for jobs, accommodation and the like.

After being screwed over comprehensively I got to a point where lying was the best route; it has now become second nature and I rarely find myself telling the truth about much.

Warning: lying is highly addictive and can take over your life!! :rolleyes: There are loads of books on Amazon (e.g Influence by Robert Caldini; The 48 Laws of Power by Joost. Great texts for everyone`s inner Walter Mitty!) :lol:

Hi LB

I used to tell the truth to everyone about anything they asked (unless it was of a personal nature). I found myself being rejected for jobs, accommodation and the like.

After being screwed over comprehensively I got to a point where lying was the best route; it has now become second nature and I rarely find myself telling the truth about much.

Warning: lying is highly addictive and can take over your life!! :rolleyes: There are loads of books on Amazon (e.g Influence by Robert Caldini; The 48 Laws of Power by Joost. Great texts for everyone`s inner Walter Mitty!) :lol:

Yes, sadly what happens to some people if they go and tell the truth when they apply for a job - that truth may be fine, respectable, even very good - then someone else comes along and pulls off a huge lie, and they get the job. They then blag their way through and before you know it they're the manager. Can't blame people for also lying when that happens.

Yes, sadly what happens to some people if they go and tell the truth when they apply for a job - that truth may be fine, respectable, even very good - then someone else comes along and pulls off a huge lie, and they get the job. They then blag their way through and before you know it they're the manager. Can't blame people for also lying when that happens.

Agreed - by lying I may have inadvertently pushed others out of the way. In the end I got so polluted by bullsh$tting that I lost the plot really badly at work - a kind of `Falling Down` moment. I decided to avoid situations where lying was necessary and I think I`m better off now.

Managers love doublespeak and forked tongues (I swear that as time goes on they become more and more reptilian). David Brent is the archetypal `crap manager` (and I`ve met so many of them).

In your case, however, you are dealing with slimy gits (LL, EAs etc), so you have to fight fire with fire or you`ll just get shafted. Sad but true I`m afraid :(

I've had to take all of my recent LL's to the small claims court after leaving flats. The usual problem has been that they won't return the deposit. Hopefuly this will change with the new scheme.

The bad news is that I've had to lie about my last flat, everytime I rent a new one. I know that it isn't good and I don't feel good BUT I've had to come to terms with the dishonesty. After being lied to and "done" by so many LL's and agents I've had to learn to play the game.

In my experience apart from some simply credit checking, agents and LL's don't look very hard into my background. Common excuses used by myself and other renters are

1. I've been living at home with my parents

2. Been working abroad

3. Rented a flat off friends (get a friend to write a reference)

4. sold my own home and now renting (divorced?)

5. Rented room in house with LL and they have gone abroad

Good luck!

Kindest regards,

Edited by Flopsy

I've had to take all of my recent LL's to the small claims court after leaving flats. The usual problem has been that they won't return the deposit. Hopefuly this will change with the new scheme.

The bad news is that I've had to lie about my last flat, everytime I rent a new one. I know that it isn't good and I don't feel good BUT I've had to come to terms with the dishonesty. After being lied to and "done" by so many LL's and agents I've had to learn to play the game.

In my experience apart from some simply credit checking, agents and LL's don't look very hard into my background. Common excuses used by myself and other renters are

1. I've been living at home with my parents

2. Been working abroad

3. Rented a flat off friends (get a friend to write a reference)

4. sold my own home and now renting (divorced?)

5. Rented room in house with LL and they have gone abroad

Good luck!

Kindest regards,

Thanks Flopsy, much appreciated. I do have legit reasons for not revealing my current landlord to the next, namely that it's likely they'll do me a bad reference for no reason other than that I complained about noise and damp, plus I'm seriously thinking of not giving the last month's rent. I've done no damage nor worn anything out, only thing that needs doing is an oven clean.

Thanks Flopsy, much appreciated. I do have legit reasons for not revealing my current landlord to the next, namely that it's likely they'll do me a bad reference for no reason other than that I complained about noise and damp, plus I'm seriously thinking of not giving the last month's rent. I've done no damage nor worn anything out, only thing that needs doing is an oven clean.

Good call on the rent - you are well within your rights to write just before the last month`s rent is due to let the LL or agent know that you intend to use your deposit in lieu of the last month`s rent. This is legal and above board - please check with the TRO when you visit him / her, ;)

Good call on the rent - you are well within your rights to write just before the last month`s rent is due to let the LL or agent know that you intend to use your deposit in lieu of the last month`s rent. This is legal and above board - please check with the TRO when you visit him / her, ;)

Beers are on me next time you're down this way! I'll get all this done this week, many thanks to you for the help Southsea (and you Flopsy).

So... phoned up the council, they denied such a dept existed but gave me a housing aid number to call. There a helpline person told me that the TRO does exist, named him and gave me a number immediately, but no reply on that number, so will have to keep trying.

Woman at council switchboard said "We have no dept that deals with private tenant-landlord disputes". :rolleyes:

So... phoned up the council, they denied such a dept existed but gave me a housing aid number to call. There a helpline person told me that the TRO does exist, named him and gave me a number immediately, but no reply on that number, so will have to keep trying.

Woman at council switchboard said "We have no dept that deals with private tenant-landlord disputes". :rolleyes:

Keep trying - my local authority (Portsmouth) is pretty good at tenancy rights problems (a measure of how cr*p the city is regarding accommodation, and how many spiv landlords exist!)

Be prepared to go through a Kafka-esque labyrinth of beauraucracy; don`t give up - you`ll get there in then end. You probably rang up some jobsworth on the end of the line!

Keep trying - my local authority (Portsmouth) is pretty good at tenancy rights problems (a measure of how cr*p the city is regarding accommodation, and how many spiv landlords exist!)

Be prepared to go through a Kafka-esque labyrinth of beauraucracy; don`t give up - you`ll get there in then end. You probably rang up some jobsworth on the end of the line!

Ring ring ring ring all day etc etc - no answer. Where's my council tax go? Where are they when they're needed? :rolleyes:

Quite disgraceful, not even a secretary there or answerphone.

Hi LastBear, hope you've found a better place. Interesting thread. Some of the points mentioned very apt for my situation. All the best Tigs.

Thx Tigs, not found anywhere decent yet :o(

How's Brighton? I was wandering around there a few weeks ago, shades on, trying not to be recognised, but the paparazzi always catch up with me somehow.

Edited by The Last Bear