Vince Cable Speaking Now On Bbc News 24

What the Liberal Democrats Believe About Immigration

Immigration has tripled under Mr Blair, and asylum

applications have doubled. There are 250,000 failed

asylum-seekers living in Britain today who should not be

here. No wonder so many people think that immigration

needs to be controlled. But the Liberal Democrats

oppose a limit on immigration, and would give Europe

more control over our asylum and immigration system.

Liberal Democrats would give Europe control of our

asylum system and oppose any limit on numbers.

‘There should be no upper limit on the numbers of

refugees accepted by EU countries’ (Liberal Democrat

Policy Development Paper, Safe Havens, September 2004, p. 9).

‘We fully support the development of a common EU

asylum policy’ (Liberal Democrat Policy Development Paper,

Safe Havens, September 2004, p.11).

They want to give the EU control over immigration.

Britain must be ‘full contributors to a common EU

immigration and asylum policy’ (Sarah Ludford MEP,

Liberal Democrat Press Release, UK must renounce opt-out from

EU asylum & immigration area, 11 March 2002).

What the Liberal Democrats Believe About Immigration

Immigration has tripled under Mr Blair, and asylum

applications have doubled. There are 250,000 failed

asylum-seekers living in Britain today who should not be

here. No wonder so many people think that immigration

needs to be controlled. But the Liberal Democrats

oppose a limit on immigration, and would give Europe

more control over our asylum and immigration system.

Liberal Democrats would give Europe control of our

asylum system and oppose any limit on numbers.

‘There should be no upper limit on the numbers of

refugees accepted by EU countries’ (Liberal Democrat

Policy Development Paper, Safe Havens, September 2004, p. 9).

‘We fully support the development of a common EU

asylum policy’ (Liberal Democrat Policy Development Paper,

Safe Havens, September 2004, p.11).

They want to give the EU control over immigration.

Britain must be ‘full contributors to a common EU

immigration and asylum policy’ (Sarah Ludford MEP,

Liberal Democrat Press Release, UK must renounce opt-out from

EU asylum & immigration area, 11 March 2002).

I said Vince Cable is a hero : I didn't say I support the Liberal Democrats. There is a difference.

I said Vince Cable is a hero : I didn't say I support the Liberal Democrats. There is a difference.

And probably with a much higher profile than the actual leader, Nick Clarke. The LibDems should have had him as leader - it would have done wonders for their electoral fortunes. Nick Clarke is too much of a post-Blair politician - something not really required for a party that will never see power and he looks as though he would fit in on the front bench of either main party.

And probably with a much higher profile than the actual leader, Nick Clarke. The LibDems should have had him as leader - it would have done wonders for their electoral fortunes. Nick Clarke is too much of a post-Blair politician - something not really required for a party that will never see power and he looks as though he would fit in on the front bench of either main party.

LOL. Going by that post Cable certainly does have a higher profile. The leader's name is Nick Clegg! :lol:

:lol:

The BBC journalist? He died in 2006!

"Dead parrot", perhaps?

This is the bit you lot are interested about...

I warned Gordon Brown almost 5 years ago that there was a growing problem of personal debt, much of it secured against a dangerous bubble in the housing market.

Since then, inflation and house prices have reached levels, in relation to income, unsurpassed in our history and the highest in the western World.

The truth is that just as binge drinking has become one of Britain’s main recreational activities, binge lending has now become the mainstay of the economy.

Banks have become the financial equivalents of a Wetherspoons pub – but with even less of a sense of responsibility.

They make their money by getting people to borrow more than they can handle. The mess afterwards is someone else’s problem.

The binge in lending has fuelled the house price boom. Housing has become unaffordable for millions of young first time buyers. Borrowers are struggling to maintain their debts.

Too much unsustainably cheap credit created an unsustainable ratcheting up of house prices.

People have been duped into believing that acquiring property is better than saving and a more reliable store of value than a bank account, shares or a pension.

Yet this is a market that is, and always has been, dangerously volatile. After the binge, there is inevitably a hangover. It is just starting. House prices are now falling month by month across the country.

Debt arrears are mounting. Repossession orders and repossessions are rising rapidly back towards levels last seen in the mid 1990’s. Negative equity is back.

I know he's sadly unlikely to ever get elected, but it's great that he's actually got media coverage. :)

We are very likely to have a hung parliament after the next election - its almost impossible for the Tories to get a working majority (they need an 8 point lead minimum over Labour). Therefore I wouldn't rule out Vince being Chancellor after the next election in a coalition government - we will need him then to sort out the mess!

Clegg won't last much longer in my opinion, he screwed up very badly on the recent commons vote over the euro treaty. In fact, he got it so wrong that a number of this front bench resigned.

He's just another Blair clone, which is a real problem given that the Blair 'style over substance' era is considered something of an embarrasment at the moment (and rightly so).

I think Vince Cable could be in the hotseat much quicker than anyone on here would believe.

Could Vince be a sort of Churchill figure? A 'wartime' leader/chancellor to get us through the depression?

Hmm how about a "dream ticket." Hung Parliament, Tories form a government with the Libs, Vince Cable as Chancellor?

I don't think Osborne was very convincing over Northern Rock, and I'm worried about the Tories spending promises. I suspect the books will be in very bad shape if they get in next time.

I don't think Osborne was very convincing over Northern Rock, and I'm worried about the Tories spending promises. I suspect the books will be in very bad shape if they get in next time.

The books will be in very bad shape but, with complete justification, they will be able to blame Blair and Brown for the systematic mismanagement of the economy over their 10 year reign.

The Lib Dems messed up un-necessarily over the EU 'when is a constitution not a constitution' debate. They support the EU and the constitution, yet the referendum they called for would almost certainly result in a vote against the EU and constitution. They should have kept quiet! Personally, I'm very pro-EU and support closer integration, but that's by the by.....

This British hero backed the instruction to the lib dems to abstain on the referendum on the treaty/constitution-by-the-back-door. He's not a hero - he's anti-democratic.

He did however suport the Libdems call for a referendum on our membership of europe. How that is undemocratic beats me - since leaving europe is what the 'no to the treaty' brigade are really after.

BBC: (LINKY)

Vince Cable's one-liners may have gone down a storm with Lib Dem delegates but pub chain Wetherspoons is not laughing.
Mr Cable said High Street banks "had become the financial equivalent of a Wetherspoons pub - but with even less of a sense of social responsibility".

:lol::lol::lol:

This British hero backed the instruction to the lib dems to abstain on the referendum on the treaty/constitution-by-the-back-door. He's not a hero - he's anti-democratic.

Sorry, but out of the UK's population how many do you think would actually weigh up the pros and cons and make an intelligent decision as opposed to just voting for what 'The Sun Sez'. In principle I support people's right to choose but sadly I teach their children and thus I know the majority are a bit thick and so an issue fundamental to the future of Britain should not be placed in their hands...

Sorry, but out of the UK's population how many do you think would actually weigh up the pros and cons and make an intelligent decision as opposed to just voting for what 'The Sun Sez'. In principle I support people's right to choose but sadly I teach their children and thus I know the majority are a bit thick and so an issue fundamental to the future of Britain should not be placed in their hands...

Quick question and a suggestion.

Who do you know who is more intelligent than you?

Make a list, then hand over the running of your life to them.

Could Vince be a sort of Churchill figure? A 'wartime' leader/chancellor to get us through the depression?

No chance - he's in bed with our European masters, cuddling up to them at every opportunity. More of a Lord Haw-haw than a Churchill, imo.