House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jdc

The Price Of Every House - New Site

There was an article in one of the papers yesterday about a new site which estimates the likely current price of every house from previous sale prices, information about the area etc. Did anyone see it? I tried it from work with mixed results, but now I've lost the URL. It was one of those trendy new URLs like kelzoo.net or yurble.com rather than anything easy to remember...

Thanks, that's the chap! It's funny how the basis of it is that people should claim their houses to keep the perceived value up. They'll be looking silly when the Council Tax people use it to check the validity of banding appeals :D

This site is a load of rubbish. They take the last price sold and apply a percentage increase, based on when it was sold. It is totally out of touch with the realty on the ground. It valued one house near where I live for a value of £485k, when it's on the market for £389k, (and has been on the market for months and not selling).

The site estimates my neighour's flat is worth 215K.

As it's on the market at 136K with no takers I think the site may have a bit of a credibility problem.

That site definitely highlights the madness that has gripped the nation.

The flat I sold for £77,500 in Feb 06 Zoopla estimates to be worth £85,000 now. However, two flats just down the road have sold for £109,950 and most are advertised at £99,500-£104.500.

The house I bought for £119,999 in Feb 06 Zoopla thinks is now worth £127,000. When I got the valuation from the estate agent in October last year, he thought it could "easily fetch" £145,000. Not one viewing or offer.

me and my neighbours have identical houses, however because i negotiated a massive discount mine is valued at 200k, my identical neighbours are valued at 350k.. IMHO the site it too simplistic it needs mix adjustment and it needs to know about the differences in each property and the reasons for the sale. The site assumes all buyers and sellers are the same, it assumes they offer and accept the same market price when this is far from the truth, variations in price are often 50k->100k in difference depending on how stupid the seller/buyer is.

Edited by moosetea

me and my neighbours have identical houses, however because i negotiated a massive discount mine is valued at 200k, my identical neighbours are valued at 350k.. IMHO the site it too simplistic it needs mix adjustment and it needs to know about the differences in each property and the reasons for the sale. The site assumes all buyers and sellers are the same, it assumes they offer and accept the same market price when this is far from the truth, variations in price are often 50k->100k in difference depending on how stupid the seller/buyer is.

It can hardly model everybody's individual circumstances :P

So it's bound to be rough-and-ready. It will also inevitably be a few months out of date. And if transaction volumes collapse before prices ... it will have nothing to say about that either.

Overall it's no more than an entertaining toy, though I guess it may give unjustified comfort to some would-be-sellers.