The "irish House Hunter" Report Sweepstake

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

i'm afraid there wont be any further updates from my analysis of propertynews. It seems that propertynews have implemented some technology in the last week which is blocking automated data collection.

The legality of what i have been doing has always been potentially questionable from a copyright perspective, so given the company have shown that they don't want it to take place, i wont be trying to figure out any work-arounds.

I have similar data from propertypal and will be working to put together similar charts on drops etc. I believe that propertypal now have more listings than propertynews so might actually work out to be better.

apologies again, but it's out of my hands

nsn

Hi All,

i'm afraid there wont be any further updates from my analysis of propertynews. It seems that propertynews have implemented some technology in the last week which is blocking automated data collection.

The legality of what i have been doing has always been potentially questionable from a copyright perspective, so given the company have shown that they don't want it to take place, i wont be trying to figure out any work-arounds.

I have similar data from propertypal and will be working to put together similar charts on drops etc. I believe that propertypal now have more listings than propertynews so might actually work out to be better.

nsn

No worries nsn - I want to thank you for your excellent work. I found my home by using your site. I got a great price and a great house and its thanks to you! Keep up the good work!

Hi nsn!

We are all grateful to you for the info you have been supplying. If Propertynews doesn't want their properties to be advertised by you - so much the worse for them, and so much the better for Propertypal :)

Hi All,

nsn

I understand this has been aimed at stopping Property Pal from stealing their listings rather than yourself. Property Pal sweep property news, take all their listings and add the few unique ones they have themselves. I believe Propertynews took them to court to prevent them using the banner NI's largest property website and won. Fair play to Property Pal

I understand this has been aimed at stopping Property Pal from stealing their listings rather than yourself. Property Pal sweep property news, take all their listings and add the few unique ones they have themselves. I believe Propertynews took them to court to prevent them using the banner NI's largest property website and won. Fair play to Property Pal

Hi Guys,

Just to jump in here. There's a few points you are mistaken on BelfastVI

1) We don't steal listings from anywhere, nor do we sweep or scrape PropertyNews. Agents either upload their properties manually, or we take the information from their website with their permission.

2) PropertyNews didn't take us to court. They reported us to the ASA. You can read more on our stance today at Property Portal Watch.

http://www1.propertyportalwatch.com/2011/03/propertypal-com-defends-tv-ads/

For what its worth this exact same statement was issued to the Bel Tel, and was edited to suit their own agenda. The full ASA report itself also makes for much more neutral reading.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/2/PropertyPal,-d-,com-Ltd/TF_ADJ_49781.aspx -

We still stand by our statement unreservedly. The savvy members of this forum who continue to check numbers will already be aware of our size. As the article reports, we are in the process of receiving the independant verification recommended by the ASA to substantiate future advertising.

Edited by PropertyPal

Hi Guys,

Just to jump in here. There's a few points you are mistaken on BelfastVI

1) We don't steal listings from anywhere, nor do we sweep or scrape PropertyNews. Agents either upload their properties manually, or we take the information from their website with their permission.

2) PropertyNews didn't take us to court. They reported us to the ASA. You can read more on our stance today at Property Portal Watch.

http://www1.propertyportalwatch.com/2011/03/propertypal-com-defends-tv-ads/

For what its worth this exact same statement was issued to the Bel Tel, and was edited to suit their own agenda. The full ASA report itself also makes for much more neutral reading.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/2/PropertyPal,-d-,com-Ltd/TF_ADJ_49781.aspx -

We still stand by our statement unreservedly. The savvy members of this forum who continue to check numbers will already be aware of our size. As the article reports, we are in the process of receiving the independant verification recommended by the ASA to substantiate future advertising.

I read the article and the BT agenda really did come across.

Propertypal can I ask you if you have any plans for a mobile app especially for android.

Having read the ASA report, I'm on the side of Propertypal here. There is clearly something brewing between these 2 property portal giants with Propertynews now feeling the need to take action against a Propertypal that it once viewed as an insignificant fly it could swat away. There has always been a sense of fondness for Propertypal from agents like myself who saw them as the little guy standing up to the establishment who were getting away with charging whatever they wanted to list properties and rentals. From my contacts in this industry, the fondness is diminishing following the decision by Propertypal to start charging to list residential sales and lettings. I understand this is a commercial decision that will allow them to spend more on advertising etc but for alot of agents it will leave them with a decision over which portal to list a property on, not always both. This means people wont have all available sales or lettings on any one website and will have to trawl through both portals which is time consuming and not beneficial to anyone. I would have thought there were many other ways to generate revenue from such a well known website rather than forcing agents to pay for their listings. There must have been decent revenue generated from the featured listings option alone. By giving agents no choice but to pay for a listing Propertypal is just the same as Propertynews and we now have 2 sites offering the same service in a relatively small population area. I fear this decision could have a seriously negative impact on Propertypal as their new listings will dramatically drop with the possibility in the future that they will no longer be the largest property portal as claimed recently. With Propertynews so established and often demanded by vendors, especially around Belfast, it was a brave decision to make agents choose which portal to use in future. I genuinely wish Propertypal luck.

Having read the ASA report, I'm on the side of Propertypal here. There is clearly something brewing between these 2 property portal giants with Propertynews now feeling the need to take action against a Propertypal that it once viewed as an insignificant fly it could swat away. There has always been a sense of fondness for Propertypal from agents like myself who saw them as the little guy standing up to the establishment who were getting away with charging whatever they wanted to list properties and rentals. From my contacts in this industry, the fondness is diminishing following the decision by Propertypal to start charging to list residential sales and lettings. I understand this is a commercial decision that will allow them to spend more on advertising etc but for alot of agents it will leave them with a decision over which portal to list a property on, not always both. This means people wont have all available sales or lettings on any one website and will have to trawl through both portals which is time consuming and not beneficial to anyone. I would have thought there were many other ways to generate revenue from such a well known website rather than forcing agents to pay for their listings. There must have been decent revenue generated from the featured listings option alone. By giving agents no choice but to pay for a listing Propertypal is just the same as Propertynews and we now have 2 sites offering the same service in a relatively small population area. I fear this decision could have a seriously negative impact on Propertypal as their new listings will dramatically drop with the possibility in the future that they will no longer be the largest property portal as claimed recently. With Propertynews so established and often demanded by vendors, especially around Belfast, it was a brave decision to make agents choose which portal to use in future. I genuinely wish Propertypal luck.

+1

From what I've been told :ph34r: Propertynews are offering rentals free in March for their agents, with more offers to come.

I see agents putting houses up on Gumtree more and more. Using free ads instead of the portals

Me too. The only drawback of Belfast gumtree is that they don't have an option to filter by price (as does, say, the Edinburgh gumtree).

You've been reading too many Realistic EA posts. :)

That's true. Although I suspect he has a vested interest, and in reality the market is going to turn around soon.

After all, the Republic has got a new government, and President Obama is going to visit them soon - so I expect new prosperity South of the border and a renewed bidding wars for NI properties :)

Good to see a bit of reality finally setting in among some estate agents. Its not happening much in my town I'm afraid and makes me wonder what the 300+ property owners must be thinking when they see no interest in their properties because the asking prices are too high. It doesnt tally up with the sentiment on the ground as joe public knows the market is depressed and the only sales being done are at under market value, but then we have a group of property owners who either wont accept reality or are in no hurry to accept it, and possibly their EAs are not forcing home the need for price reductions. Something has to give here and for my part, I am doing everything I can to make vendors see reality, but it's tough going.

513 .

Hoping things will speed up at the end of the summer. House at he bottom of my street thats been on the market nesly 18 months got new windows in to improve interest during the spring bounce. . . . . . . . . . I don't think she'srealised it's at least 20% overvalued. Some are still in the denial phase IMO.