House Price Crash Forum

The "irish House Hunter" Report Sweepstake

Vespasian

HOLA441
Im thinking some of these are starting to get to sensible/affordable prices, so im wondering are we starting to see some forced sales, or are people just fed up waiting and thinking, lets stick it on 50k less than we want, lets hope we get three people to come have a look, hopefully two of them will fall in love with it and bid it up above the asking?

I know folk will still say its twice the price four years ago or whatever... but I can see a situation where people will be able to buy something like these below if they save for two/three years at 3/4 times their salary.

My vested interest, would be FTB saving hard....

what do other people think?

2005 prices at the very least imo

Check this out

2 Bedroom Detached in the Skankill (£60K)

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...amp;p=PNC160960

It looks a reasonable price until you check rateable value which is around £32K

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
I'm with you Joe. If shelling out £100K for a mediocre terrace in Belfast is the price you must pay to enter the property market them I'm sorry but I'd rather rent and keep my cash. It still mystifies me how people can afford to pay even this? I'm lucky enough to have a decent job paying slightly above the average wage and I still consider prices to be an absolute rip-off. Looking through the window of Reed recruitment the other day I didn't see a single job paying more that £18000 (and you can bet they were the pick of the bunch!) So how can most folks manage to buy when even a 'starter' home is priced at £100K?

On a totally unrelated note, what this crash demonstrates above anything else is that property is just as likely to be a hugh millstone around your neck. I know of several folk who'd love to change direction and make different choices but they can't. Why? 'Cos they were suckered into buying property at the peak and now they're stuck living in house they don't even really like, which is losing them money hand over fist and which is seriously limiing their options for the forseeable future. And all for the privilage of paying a mammoth mortgage and the ability to say " I own my own home" when in fact the bank owns it (and them). It makes me SO mad.

Man I feel exactly the same!

HOLA443
Good idea. YOu should do that. Travel to other countries and see what else is out there. Best thing you ll ever do. I went away about 5 years ago, when I was 22, as I didnt know where I wanted to live. I wanted to travel as I d been in India for 5 months when I was 19/20, and it was absolutely great for me. I never felkt content when I came back here...the country just seems really sterile, the weather is terrible,the food is limited in range,the cities shut down at 2am,and everything is so expensive.

So I set off to look for a place to live. I knew Asia would be a place I loved, but I was keeping an open mind. I went to India again, Sinagpore, Malaysia, then Thailand, and wa splanning to go on to OZ and NZ. However, I got stuck in Thailand and have ended up living there for over 2 years, in Bangkok. However, I have been back here for in the inbetween years.

So, now I know I want to live in Thailand, and I love the whole region, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Hong KOng etc etc...I m now working on the master plan that will enable me to set up in Bangkok. I Loved the travelling bit so much, that I figured I would find someway to make money using my laptop and internet. So I got interested in trading/investment,as I can do that from anywhere. I did well enough in foreign exchange, and some other futures, and indexes. However, the bright lights of Bangkok, where you could sit at street bars until 6 am playing guitar on the street and having sing alongs while drinking beer with ice, and eating great food, with pretty girls meant that more play went in than work...lol. I lived it up and didnt spend enough time building capital. So now I had to come back and start to save again, so I can trade and invest, and then go back out with a good cushion, and get a condo to rent.

My advise would be to just do it Joe. You obviously have some skills and you can take them somewhere. For me Asia is the up and coming place to be. I just find it boring here. I love the people here, I m not be critical. Just my opinion, and how I feel.

The other thing I was able to live a very healthy and balances life there.Spend the week in bangkok then go to beautiful Island beaches for the weekend and enjoy the seafood and have a cool beer or two. Had a studio room in a Bangkok condo,and the building had a sauna,steam room, jaccuzzi,2 swimming pools, a fantastic gym, under ground supermarket, and near all sorts of department stores, coffee shops, restauarants, transport systems...All this was quite cheap. You could get a real nice place for 200a month, and for 400--800 a month, a 2/3 bedroom (if sharing) luxury pad. The food is great, and the Thai girls are the the ultimate in feminity for me. I dont mean bar girls by the way :) The uni student etc etc.

Your lifestyle sounds awesome VedantaTrader, Thailand is a country I remember doing a bit of research on when NI house prices starting going nuts between 2005 - 2007. I remember reading about a place called Hua Hin, looked like a really nice chilled out beach resort about 100km from Bangkok.

What are the broadband speeds like in Bangkok?

I'd love to go travelling but I don't like the idea of traveling by myself :lol: Mind you it would make a lot of sense doing so now for a year or 2 while house prices continue their steep decline.

I think it would be nice to come back here for 2months a year...around June,July time...

Eventually this is what I would Love to do, live here a few months of the year during summer and live somewhere warm for the rest of the year.

HOLA444
Your lifestyle sounds awesome VedantaTrader, Thailand is a country I remember doing a bit of research on when NI house prices starting going nuts between 2005 - 2007. I remember reading about a place called Hua Hin, looked like a really nice chilled out beach resort about 100km from Bangkok.

What are the broadband speeds like in Bangkok?

Hua Hin is famous for being the location of the King's summer home and had been very sedate but it is undergoing an awful lot of development at the moment, with much of it at the lower end of the quality spectrum - it is rapidly changing as, until recently, it was not aggressively marketed at overseas tourists. There are some really exceptional developments currently underway in Pattaya. Pattaya is a bit closer to Bangkok (and even closer to the Airport) and, unlike Hua Hin, has a very definite "seedy" side that appeals to some but is a turn off to many others, esp families.

However, typically for relaxing holidays in Thailand, most westerners prefer to one of the Thai islands, rather than the mainland.

I've never had a problem with broadband speeds in Bangkok.

Edited by Ulidia

HOLA445
Hua Hin is famous for being the location of the King's summer home and had been very sedate but it is undergoing an awful lot of development at the moment, with much of it at the lower end of the quality spectrum - it is rapidly changing as, until recently, it was not aggressively marketed at overseas tourists. There are some really exceptional developments currently underway in Pattaya. Pattaya is a bit closer to Bangkok (and even closer to the Airport) and, unlike Hua Hin, has a very definite "seedy" side that appeals to some but is a turn off to many others, esp families.

However, typically for relaxing holidays in Thailand, most westerners prefer to one of the Thai islands, rather than the mainland.

I've never had a problem with broadband speeds in Bangkok.

Thanks for the info Ulidia, Pattaya does not appeal to me in the slightest. I've read a lot of bad things about that area, I heard it has a big problem with the Russian mafia, no idea if it's true or not though.

HOLA446

Its true re the Russian mafia / influence in Pattaya ..... although word is that they are not having it all their own way there i.e. the Thais may seem a hospitable people, and generally they are, but they don't like people muscling in on their territory.

Personally, I think Pattaya is a dive but I have an interest in high-rise developments and some of the buildings underway are breathtaking - hopefully, it will help to improve the region over the longer-term.

Edited by Ulidia

HOLA447
Personally, I think Pattaya is a dive but I have an interest in high-rise developments and some of the buildings underway are breathtaking - hopefully, it will help to improve the region over the longer-term.

Just had a look at some of them over at SkyscraperCity, wow! Some of these look amazing

Edited by YoungFTB

HOLA448
If things continue like this, I will be taking my savings and my skillset to a country where people with good jobs can actually afford something as basic as a house. I'm also toying with the idea of saying 'sod it' to housing and using my savings to travel the world for a few years - since I sometimes feel life is passing me by while I wait for sanity to return to the housing market.

100% agree with this sentiment. I'm actively looking to get out.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sweepstake time again. A quiet week due to holidays?

Not only could you join the hall of fame, but pick up this weeks fantasy property from the delights of the EXTREMELY GOOD VALUE Northern Ireland property market. As you know, PROPERTY PRICES ONLY EVER GO UP so next week your fantasy property could be worth more fantasy cash

Winners so far:

Subby 8th March

Vespasian 15th March

Prophet-profit 23 March

Doccyboy 30th March

Subby 5th April

Sogy 12th April

Traktion 19th April

Subby 26th April

Beta Version Squeak 3rd May

Sophia 10th May

Prophet-profit 17th May

Traktion 24th May

wayoutwest 31st May

Blofield 7th June

Doccyboy 14th June

Subby 21st June

Doccyboy 28th June

Paul65 5th JUly

Subby (again!) 12 July

219-221 Saintfield Road, Belfast, BT8 7HQ

£3,500,000

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...mp;p=HESHES1057

12716590.jpg

Features

* Superb Residential Development Site

* Planning Permission for 22 Apartments

(£159k needed per apartment to cover just the the site cost :blink: )

Description

The subject property comprises a cleared site which was formerly in use as a petrol station fronting directly onto the Saintfield Road with access also from a slip road from the junction of Saintfield Road and Lenaghan Park.

The property also includes a substantial two storey detached house which fronts onto the slip road from Lenaghan Park.

The property has a frontage onto the Saintfield Road of 80 metres (approx) and a total site area of "2758 mts sq (0.68 acres) approx".

Planning:-

The property has full planning permission for "erection of 22 apartments" Ref:7/2004/0701/F. A copy of which can be obtained on request.

(thats one erection that will not be going up :rolleyes: )

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
219-221 Saintfield Road, Belfast, BT8 7HQ

£3,500,000

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...mp;p=HESHES1057

12716590.jpg

Features

* Planning Permission for 22 Apartments

(£159k needed per apartment to cover just the the site cost :blink: )

Absolute madness ....

:o

I actually had the impression that Hampton Estates were one of the slightly more realistic EAs but it appears not.

Edited by Ulidia

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?p=PWBPWB1308

What a p*ss poor property for 160 grand...its gonna take alot more than 5K off this to get my interest.. I'm thinking 80K.

Hmm, lets see...I could buy that for £1144 a month (100% repayment over 25 years @ 7%)

OR

I could rent an identical house, in the same street, for £475 a month:

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...amp;p=PNC195863

Difficult choice isn't it ;)