House Price Crash Forum
The Preacherman

Housing Associations Reject Builders’ Cast-offs

From Inside Housing

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/article/?id=1449892

Landlords reject builders’ cast-offs

Developers’ off-the-rack offers don’t meet Housing Corporation’s standards

By Crispin Dowler

Housing associations are turning down offers from house builders trying to offload unsold homes because they fail to meet the standards demanded for social housing.

A number of associations have been approached by house builders who want to limit their risk in an uncertain market by selling off developments or land. Many said they had rejected schemes because they did not meet Housing Corporation rules on size or energy efficiency, or were in the wrong place.

Keith Exford, chief executive of Affinity Sutton, said it had been offered 'quite a lot' of inner city flats in northern cities, like Leeds and Manchester. 'We have not pursued any of those opportunities because they are in places where the market is poor, and the standards would not meet… requirements if we wanted them to be grant funded. 'They don't meet the eco-homes standard, and generally they're not great on design and space.'

Homes built for private sale do not have to meet the same environmental or design standards as those funded with government grant. Some housing associations are calling on the government to set up a 'housing market package' programme to help them capitalise on the current housing market slowdown. When the Conservative government created such a programme in 1992, associations were given 100 days to spend almost £1 billion on homes developers were struggling to shift. But Mr Exford said a corporation representative had told him a 'housing market packages-type event' would be unlikely, partly because of concerns over standards.

Now that is fascinating. Speaks volumes that these town centre 'luxury', 'exclusive', 'executive' flats are not good enough for housing associations to buy.

Not only that but also H.A.'s are also finding it difficult to borrow money. And why would they buy now when it looks more and more obvious that there's going to be a house price crash? H.A. 's are not charities set up to bail out builders.

Housing associations are turning down offers from house builders trying to offload unsold homes because they fail to meet the standards demanded for social housing

Oh dear, NOBODY wants them :lol::lol:

Oh dear, NOBODY wants them :lol::lol:

So in the 80s the tories gave the H/A £1bn to buy out struggling BTLers?

Inflation adjusted I suppose that would now be £2-3bn. house prices are twice as expensive vs wages compared to the 80s peak.

Bail-out anyone?

What's the odds on Labour giving the H/A £6bn to buy out struggling BTLers at "Mark-To-Model" peak prices. (yes I know, £6b would be a drop in the ocean, but they'de never get away with £6t.)

Leeds needs more car parking...

This will never happen. There will be a very British coup where we have our own "cultural revolution." Thousands of country Nimbies will be forced to live in these flats, while their own country hizes are demolished in order to grow biofuel for Richard Bransons jets.

so... whats a block of new flats worth as scrap ??

I was actually thinking about this the other day. There's probably only about 25k worth of materials in a lot of houses, - and thats assuming you can sell second hand bricks!

I was actually thinking about this the other day. There's probably only about 25k worth of materials in a lot of houses, - and thats assuming you can sell second hand bricks!

Where have they been using bricks? The ones in manchester are wood, steel and concrete.

How much is a juliet balcony worth?

They might still make useful halls of residence for the universities? But they aren't going to get much of an offer for that useage.

Edited by Knut

I forsee a strengthening market for bulldozers.

Looks like you are right. We always thought that these "executive apartments" were the social housing of the future, but if they do not want them, demolition will be the only way forward (after being boarded up for about 10 years).

It is revealing that these flats do not even meet minimum standards for a housing association. "Executive" my @rse!

This will never happen. There will be a very British coup where we have our own "cultural revolution." Thousands of country Nimbies will be forced to live in these flats, while their own country hizes are demolished in order to grow biofuel for Richard Bransons jets.

'Hizes'! Very good. Most big houses round here are owned by Brummy builders though.- 'Hayozes'

This should all be obvious though shouldn't it? Build quality only matters in a normal rational market rather than the ramping speculative one we have had. The specuvestors didn't give a damn about build quality since they weren't going to live in them, and only about how much capital gains profit they could make in x months time. While the few ftbs that bought one were continually told "get on the ladder, get on the ladder, get on..." so for them just buying was paramount. As for the builders it was build em as fast as possible, and flog em on as fast as possible in true gold rush style. Build to minimum standards in other words.

convert them into prisons - kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Strange you should say that look at what Cameron has been proposing only the other way round.

Tory ‘for sale’ sign on prison

PLANS to transform Pentonville into luxury flats and build a super prisons on the outskirts of London were unveiled by the Conservative Party leader on Monday.

David Cameron told the Commons Britain’s badly designed inner-city prison sites should be sold off to developers. The Tories’ 108-page green paper, called Prison With A Purpose report, targets the Victorian jail as “offering potential for multi-storey mixed commercial and residential development”.

http://www.thecnj.co.uk/islington/2008/030...s030708_09.html

Guest Bart of Darkness
convert them into prisons - kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

I think the Human Rights lobby would complain about the size of the cells, cruel & unusual punishment etc.

If not, turn them into debtors prisons, kill three birds with one stone. ;)

Oh dear, have to laugh at that one :lol:

All these people who have paid 1/4 Million for a prestige luxury flat which turns out to be so badly designed and constructed that it's not fit for the poorest people in society!

Even druggies and benefit cheats deserve better than this.....

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

They might still make useful halls of residence for the universities? But they aren't going to get much of an offer for that useage.

And there's a limited demand for Halls. Most 2nd + years want to live out - the sheer noise and rowdiness of a lot of Halls are offputting (to say nothing of the number of times you have to turn out shivering into the car park at 2.00am because some drunken joker has let off the fire alarms YET AGAIN!!)

All one has to hope is that the government doesn't change the rules so that Housing Associations have to consider these places, or that they are not strong-armed by the government into buying them for social housing. They certainly aren't fit for same.

If I had any say as a H.A. buyer, I'd offer to take them off a developer's hands if they brought them up to spec - which would include knocking 3 flats into one reasonably sized one, making them wheelchair accessible; installing lifts and back-up lifts and back-ups to the back-up lifts; sound-proofing and insulation, etc etc. THEN, I might just consider buying them for social housing.....

Something funny about this if you ask me. By law, all newbuilds have to pass through Building Control which sets down minimum standards for human habitation, disability access etc. So assuming they conform to these standards why are the HAs seeing fit to turn them down? Surely people would be better off in them than B&Bs or wherever they are instead. Unless the developers somehow fiddled Building Control, I suspect that HAs have rumbled that they'll be able to get better deals later on. Or are HAs so bleeding heart liberal that they think unmarried 14 year old mums deserve their own stately homes?

Edited by Austin Allegro

Something funny about this if you ask me. By law, all newbuilds have to pass through Building Control which sets down minimum standards for human habitation, disability access etc. So assuming they conform to these standards why are the HAs seeing fit to turn them down? Surely people would be better off in them than B&Bs or wherever they are instead. Unless the developers somehow fiddled Building Control, I suspect that HAs have rumbled that they'll be able to get better deals later on. Or are HAs so bleeding heart liberal that they think unmarried 14 year old mums deserve their own stately homes?

I'm a bit hazy about this, but I think that properties which are ostensibly for OO have lower standards, on the principle that OO have more control over their surroundings. HAs by definition are not only letting, but probably letting to the more vulnerable members of society who are not in such a good position to negotiate space standards etc.

After all, anyone who, right now, wants to buy a 2-bed purpose built flat in a city probably has a choice of hundreds at any given price level; somone on a housing list will be offered one, take it or leave it (OK I expect you can turn down one or two, but not more)