House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheer Heart Attack

If There Really Is A Depression, How Will Things Change?

I am quite worried about the ways things are going now.

I'm 34 years old. I can just about remember the turmoil of the early 1980s from the inner-city riots ending with the miners' strike.

I was at college in the early 90s and I sort of remember my mum and dad telling me that things were rough out there and that's why the telephone line was cut off. However, on both occasions, being a child, I was fairly insulated from the whole thing - after all, that's what parents try to do.

I am keen to get everyone's thoughts on what will happen 1 year and more into a particularly deep recession or depression.

I've put four options in the poll but would definitely like to hear expanded thoughts.

My personal take -

LAW AND ORDER - I think there will be mass unrest but not in a civil insurrection type of way. It would not surprise me too if small acts of defiance became commonplace - that would certainly get this Govt and any future ones out of our faces and lives so much.

IMMIGRATION/EMIGRATION - I can see a mass exodus of many of the Eastern European economic migrants to healthier economies or back to their homes meaning Britain will undergo a huge brain drain in addition to the one going on now.

HOUSE PRICES & ECONOMY - A lot of the boutique businesses would remain because wealthy people more often than not can hang on to their wealth. However, the mass midmarket would die as middle classes would reign back heavily on discretionary spending. Unemployment to double, this Govt to go to the IMF and house prices (in a real depression) would halve - no questions on that.

I hope Britain (if I am still here) would turn into a more tolerant, less judgemental place where money is nowhere near as important as it is now (for money, read debt).

A depression is possibly one of the best things that could happen to us - and I am an out and out capitalist. It could also be awful beyond belief, but I'm not so sure it would be.

It's only the death of a ridiculous monopoly that should never have existed in the first place, really, don't worry about it.

Getting out of prison tends to be hectic.

I am quite worried about the ways things are going now.

I'm 34 years old. I can just about remember the turmoil of the early 1980s from the inner-city riots ending with the miners' strike.

I was at college in the early 90s and I sort of remember my mum and dad telling me that things were rough out there and that's why the telephone line was cut off. However, on both occasions, being a child, I was fairly insulated from the whole thing - after all, that's what parents try to do.

I am keen to get everyone's thoughts on what will happen 1 year and more into a particularly deep recession or depression.

I've put four options in the poll but would definitely like to hear expanded thoughts.

My personal take -

LAW AND ORDER - I think there will be mass unrest but not in a civil insurrection type of way. It would not surprise me too if small acts of defiance became commonplace - that would certainly get this Govt and any future ones out of our faces and lives so much.

IMMIGRATION/EMIGRATION - I can see a mass exodus of many of the Eastern European economic migrants to healthier economies or back to their homes meaning Britain will undergo a huge brain drain in addition to the one going on now.

HOUSE PRICES & ECONOMY - A lot of the boutique businesses would remain because wealthy people more often than not can hang on to their wealth. However, the mass midmarket would die as middle classes would reign back heavily on discretionary spending. Unemployment to double, this Govt to go to the IMF and house prices (in a real depression) would halve - no questions on that.

I hope Britain (if I am still here) would turn into a more tolerant, less judgemental place where money is nowhere near as important as it is now (for money, read debt).

A depression is possibly one of the best things that could happen to us - and I am an out and out capitalist. It could also be awful beyond belief, but I'm not so sure it would be.

When you first appeared you were fun. I think you are spending too much of your time here. I really do. It's obviously not doing you any good. The endless repeats of doom (from simple minds) on here are getting to you. Some people read things and go on to endlessly repeat them. You are starting to believe them. Whatever happens, life goes on. In fifty years you'll look back and laugh - if all those naughty cigarettes haven't seen you off first. :lol:

When you first appeared you were fun. I think you are spending too much of your time here. I really do. It's obviously not doing you any good. The endless repeats of doom (from simple minds) on here are getting to you. Some people read things and go on to endlessly repeat them. You are starting to believe them. Whatever happens, life goes on. In fifty years you'll look back and laugh - if all those naughty cigarettes haven't seen you off first. :lol:

I think you might have a point!

Someone made a comment about the ignorant being blissful. The last 5-6 months have been a real crash course in being brought back down to earth with a bang.

I do like it here though. Why? I'll get back to you! :P

The question is not if, but when. I predict this will be sooner than anyone now thinks. Leverage is not called leverage for nothing. One firm shove on the handle of monetary gearing - which is now 10 orders of magnitude longer than it has ever been at the start of any past fiat money implosion - will bring the whole stinking edifice tumbling down in an instant.

Everything you take for granted now will be lost. For most there will be no transport other than by foot, the time of your next meal will be a continuous worry and ever at the front of your thoughts, there will be doctors but witch doctors, you will be subjugated by new feudal overlords, there will be no currency only barter and the petty concerns of your bourgeoise existence will be long forgotten.

Houses will cost less than food.

The question is not if, but when. I predict this will be sooner than anyone now thinks. Leverage is not called leverage for nothing. One firm shove on the handle of monetary gearing - which is now 10 orders of magnitude longer than it has ever been at the start of any past fiat money implosion - will bring the whole stinking edifice tumbling down in an instant.

Everything you take for granted now will be lost. For most there will be no transport other than by foot, the time of your next meal will be a continuous worry and ever at the front of your thoughts, there will be doctors but witch doctors, you will be subjugated by new feudal overlords, there will be no currency only barter and the petty concerns of your bourgeoise existence will be long forgotten.

Wrong!

We'll get free markets again, by default. It's going to be great news for anyone who doesn't work in the governmetal or finance sectors. Feudal overlords are going to vanish, not arrive.

It's the end of a system of slavery and coercion so well designed most cannot even clearly discern where it begins and ends, they just feel it.

But will I still be able to get my shredded wheat the morning after ?

Guest Skint Academic

I think society will be much better afterwards. People will realise what's important in life. But the transition will be particularly painful.

Things will be fine. This will be the second (possibly third) bust I will have lived through. The 80's was a walk in the park compared with the 70's (inflation, fuel prices rises, power cuts, wildcat strikes etc).

Also the 1960's wasn't all Beatles and Carnaby Street, people survived through very tough times with the pound/economy on a constant knife edge. It will almost be nostalgic!

The annoying thing is how we have got in this mess. All that cheap cash destroyed by feckwit bankers.

The future will be as a bleak, dystopian, impoverished society that is facing a breakdown of civil order caused by widespread oil shortages then murder squads then vengance then nuclear apocalpyse.

The future will be as a bleak, dystopian, impoverished society that is facing a breakdown of civil order caused by widespread oil shortages then murder squads then vengance then nuclear apocalpyse.

This has been a party policital broadcast from the Labour Party. :lol:

Thanks for the paraphrased quote from Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Guest Steve Cook

I have no choice but to agree. Not tommorow. But within a couple of decades at most.

Steve

Edited by Steve Cook

Guest Steve Cook
Wrong!

We'll get free markets again, by default. It's going to be great news for anyone who doesn't work in the governmetal or finance sectors. Feudal overlords are going to vanish, not arrive.

It's the end of a system of slavery and coercion so well designed most cannot even clearly discern where it begins and ends, they just feel it.

Hello Injin

I have to completely disagree with your "free market" prognosis for recovery. Its not that I think free markets aren't a good idea in principle. There is, in practice though, an insurmountable problem; people. People do not operate according to free-market principles. People operate according to affilitation to their kin, their community, their tribe. This social instinct is the very reason why large governments can trick us into affiliating ourselves to the notion of a "state". A kind of abstract, or fictitious "tribe" if you like.

When the state breaks down, as it must when there is insufficient energy to maintain the state structures of control (e.g. army, police etc), people will revert to affilliations of a more anchient kind. Take a look at Kosovo and the other Eastern European states after the fall of communism. Feudal overlords took control within a few years. Thus, it will come to pass here.

Steve

Edited by Steve Cook

During a depression it would be one step above "People will get on with it but with high levels of anger and resentment" because we are already at that stage according to all the evidence I have seen. I reckon TV licence evasion will be a good to watch as the poorest 10% pay out of household income 1.7% to the BBC.

Edited by maxwell

I remember the unrest in the 80's. I was living in Maidstone at the time. My friends and i took a walk to the Town centre to see what was happening.

Gangs of yobs were starting to congregate around the high street etc. It was an intimidating atmosphere, likely to kick off at any moment.

So along come the Police, stopped them all, searched them, took away their Belts and shoelaces....hey presto, no trouble!!

We went home very disappointed because we hadn't seen a riot.

The next day we found out that someone had managed to kick in a shop window somewhere in Gabriels Hill. But was that a "rioter" or just the usual drunken yob that does that kind of thing most nights?

Hello Injin

I have to completely disagree with your free markets prgnosis for recovery. Its not that I think free markets aren't a good idea in principle. There is just one problem though; people. People do not operate according to free-market principles. People operate according to affilitation to their kin, their community, their tribe. This social instinct is the very reason why large governments can trick us into affiliating ourselves to the notion of a "state". A kind of fictitious "tribe" if you like.

When the state breaks down, as it must when there is insufficient energy to maintain the state structures of control (e.g. army, police etc), people will revert to affilliations of a more anchient kind. Take a look at Kosovo and the other Eastern European states after the fall of communism. Feudal overlords took over within a few years. Thus it will come to pass here...

Steve

Very good. You have your outlook, I have mine.

You are wrong.

Good luck to you.

That'll be a new experience for me. That'll be nice.

I think society will be much better afterwards. People will realise what's important in life. But the transition will be particularly painful.

That's what I said in 1996. I remember saying "There will never be a another house price boom, not after this crash. The myth has been broken".

Now the only thing I'm certain of is there WILL be another house price boom in a few years time.