House Price Crash Forum
It is different this time

The Future Is Bright The Future Is Buy To Let

Ah, Chungking Mansions. Great curries to be had there if you could ever work out which floor the "restaurant" was on.

Actually it raises an interesting question for me. Is it just the brits that hate rabbit hutches? Isn't this quite an acceptable means of living in some places?

Anyone got an answer?

Actually it raises an interesting question for me. Is it just the brits that hate rabbit hutches? Isn't this quite an acceptable means of living in some places?

Anyone got an answer?

YES!

People often get confused that volume = space.

Most UK housing is space inefficient or has been designed for a 'previous lifestyle'.

I'd take a small efficient place over 2x the volume that gave me no extra space.

Anyone got an answer?

To be honest there is nothing wrong to start with a flat and it is quite acceptable & affordable in most places but what is wrong is the fact that people get ripped off! in this country. £70K for a two bed flat is acceptable but not £270K

They're like the flat I used to live in in Hong Kong. Really tiny, but it was one of the happiest times of my life. But, you survive a small flat in Hong Kong by eating out every night and working at the office for 60 hours a week. Home is really just where you lay your head each night, knackered.

To be honest there is nothing wrong to start with a flat and it is quite acceptable & affordable in most places but what is wrong is the fact that people get ripped off! in this country. £70K for a two bed flat is acceptable but not £270K

Not round here.

£40K is about the mark if it has two good rooms.

270K is about right for 7 bedrooms.

Yeah I was amazed by those tiny flats when I went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago.

The upside to tiny properties is that people spend more time out shopping and dining, which makes for a very vibrant place to live and work. Contrast that with our own town centres which after 6pm are largely full of drunks and vagrants (Exeter springs to mind).

And flats aren't all that bad - housework doesn't take long, you don't have to spend 1000's on a new roof and there's less chance of being broken into.

They're like the flat I used to live in in Hong Kong. Really tiny, but it was one of the happiest times of my life. But, you survive a small flat in Hong Kong by eating out every night and working at the office for 60 hours a week. Home is really just where you lay your head each night, knackered.

nobody stays in in hong kong. its cheaper to eat out than it is to stay at home and cook so everybody goes out every night. even for breakfast no one eats at home, you go to the local market area and meet up for early morning breakfast, (which tends to be noodles and hot foods rather than cereal)

i can remember eating out in the open in some huge open market, beautiful weather, in a t-shirt , short and flip flops - at 1 o'clock in the morning. and this was families eating, not people on a night out. youd never get that kind of community feel in the UK.

i can remember eating out in the open in some huge open market, beautiful weather, in a t-shirt , short and flip flops - at 1 o'clock in the morning.

And there you have it. Only Geordies can get away with that in UK, and survive.

At least their planning permissions are sensible not like in here. "OH NO! WE CANNOT HAVE BUILDINGS AT CROUCH END, LONDON WITH MORE THAN 5 FLOORS IT MIGHT SPOIL THE VIEW!" view of what? the pile of shit you can see now in london on every corner?

Sorry, but I watched 'The Towering Inferno' too many times when I was a kid to be able to set foot in something like that.

And there you have it. Only Geordies can get away with that in UK, and survive.

If he were a geordie lass he'd have been wearing far far less while out.

Guest happy?
nobody stays in in hong kong. its cheaper to eat out than it is to stay at home and cook so everybody goes out every night. even for breakfast no one eats at home, you go to the local market area and meet up for early morning breakfast, (which tends to be noodles and hot foods rather than cereal)

i can remember eating out in the open in some huge open market, beautiful weather, in a t-shirt , short and flip flops - at 1 o'clock in the morning. and this was families eating, not people on a night out. youd never get that kind of community feel in the UK.

And this is why Paris has a vibrant cafe culture - no-one has a garden cos they all live in flats. So they sit on the pavement of the place across the road and try and make a fist of it. Personally, I'd prefer a garden of my own any day.

And this is why Paris has a vibrant cafe culture - no-one has a garden cos they all live in flats. So they sit on the pavement of the place across the road and try and make a fist of it. Personally, I'd prefer a garden of my own any day.

You can say that again. Flats are OK for starters , but *surely* you'll aspire to owning your own bit of turf ?! B)

You can say that again. Flats are OK for starters , but *surely* you'll aspire to owning your own bit of turf ?! B)

All Scotsmen do.

Is that new Wembley finished yet?

We'll be right down.

The Chungking Mansions and the Mirador mansions 2 minutes away aren't too bad , considering you can get an ensuite , air conditioned room a bed and a shower for £10 a night £6 if you have non ensuite , £3 if you are brave, for what it costs its not too bad , I stayed there recently having a bust up with my granny who has a house in HK.

Its just that they are small you can't hold your arms fully out to your sides.

Oh and there are tons of resturants on the 1st floor , and there is the Siddique on the 7th floor Block A which is also very good.

Going there feels like walking through Brick lane London or Cheetham hill Manchester, very much of a melting pot.

Guest X-QUORK
All Scotsmen do.

Is that new Wembley finished yet?

We'll be right down.

Time to do some repointing on Hadrian's Wall.

Guest X-QUORK
A colleague of mine from Hong Kong once told me he loved coming to the UK because of the "Big Sky".

Wyoming this place aint!

You misunderstood, he's a fan of terrible 'rolling news' programs and endless episodes of The Simpsons.

Anyone got an answer?

Nearly all Spaniards live in flats, but that is partly because they aren't rabbit hutches. 'Ordinary' flats in Spain have normal sized rooms, they have light wells down the middle for the kitchens and bathrooms so you get a little bit of natural light and natural ventilation, and two bathrooms are standard.

While recent British flats have got the second bathroom right, they still have miniscule sizes and loud extractors and/or mould in the bathrooms and kitchens.

UK housing design remains desperate; it will only improve when we get a law that requires the square meterage of full height, naturally ventilated living space to be part of the EA description.

Nearly all Spaniards live in flats, but that is partly because they aren't rabbit hutches. 'Ordinary' flats in Spain have normal sized rooms, they have light wells down the middle for the kitchens and bathrooms so you get a little bit of natural light and natural ventilation, and two bathrooms are standard.

While recent British flats have got the second bathroom right, they still have miniscule sizes and loud extractors and/or mould in the bathrooms and kitchens.

UK housing design remains desperate; it will only improve when we get a law that requires the square meterage of full height, naturally ventilated living space to be part of the EA description.

I'll second that. I've lived in a rented flat in Germany for the last 10 years, but will be moving back to the UK this summer. I was looking for a place to buy, but am now looking for somewhere to rent, given recent events. In any case, it drives me nuts that property descriptions are so vague in the UK. Over here, the most essential items of information are 1) total ground area and 2) total floor area. My German friends shake their heads in disbelief when I say I don't know the floor area of a house I'm interested in, just that it's got 3 bedrooms. No wonder British houses have got such bloody tiny bedrooms!