House Price Crash Forum
The Conveyancer

Anyone Want To Buy A Pub?

All four pubs in my area are now on the market. Anyone expecting a recession?

Loads of pubs have been up to let or for sale for years. The whole pub industry is knackered and the smoking ban just added a few extra problems.

They're all being picked on by armed gangs for easy money though.

Guest An Bearin Bui
Yes,

dont know the feeling you have but it does seem to me that a lot of people have woken up in the new year and thought '**** me,the markets going to go down,we'll cash in'....their presumption being that noone elese is thinking what they're thinking.....oh dear.................virtually everyone's thinking what they're thinking.The weirdest thing is,that they all want last years price plus 10%.So getting out at the top will not be as easy as they thought.

I can say in my experience that anyone exposed to the arguments put forward on here,soon understands how big the lie was.

That's what's happening in my street - about 6 places have all gone up for sale in the last month. They're all priced for a pre-credit crunch market too. A couple of them went up for sale in November and were taken off the market again unsold after a few weeks - the owners obviously decided to wait for that all-important "Spring bounce"...

Oddly enough I'm not seeing lines of eager buyers queuing around the block, however... :lol:

Guest happy?
That's what's happening in my street - about 6 places have all gone up for sale in the last month. They're all priced for a pre-credit crunch market too. A couple of them went up for sale in November and were taken off the market again unsold after a few weeks - the owners obviously decided to wait for that all-important "Spring bounce"...

Oddly enough I'm not seeing lines of eager buyers queuing around the block, however... :lol:

The way the market's going anyone thinking of buying a pub would be better off investing in one of these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/publicsi...lse&pa_n=26

Had a chat recently with the (very clued-up)landlord of the semi-rural pub I frequent.He said that before the smoking ban,an average of 50 pubs a month closed.Since the ban,the number has gone up to 56 per WEEK.

I think that someone enterprising will find a way of getting teenagers into former pubs. Have them as non-alcoholic bars with games machines and other money removing equipment.

There's a huge problem of youths on the street but the difficulty is getting money out of them - there's always funding for "youth projects" though.

You'd need bouncers though and probably a membership system.

But how much would parents pay for keeping their kids safe off the streets? £30 a month? £50?

I think that someone enterprising will find a way of getting teenagers into former pubs. Have them as non-alcoholic bars with games machines and other money removing equipment.

There's a huge problem of youths on the street but the difficulty is getting money out of them - there's always funding for "youth projects" though.

You'd need bouncers though and probably a membership system.

But how much would parents pay for keeping their kids safe off the streets? £30 a month? £50?

Parents wouldn't pay. You'd still get the chavs on street corners because their parents spend their dole on fags, booze and crack. Not for a youth club.

I never went to the youth club as a teen because it cost money. But then it was due to lack of income (no massive top up benefits like today).

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

Had a chat recently with the (very clued-up)landlord of the semi-rural pub I frequent.He said that before the smoking ban,an average of 50 pubs a month closed.Since the ban,the number has gone up to 56 per WEEK.

I would understand if they were quiet pubs that seemed not to be doing so well. Two of the pubs are always packed and serve food which is popular, business seems good. Certainly the landlord of one is always off on exotic holidays, there seems no shortage of cash. The other two might not be doing quite so well.

What they call "destination" pubs are doing OK - places that people go to for a proper "night out". Its the quieter "local" pubs that are dying out, especially since the smoking ban came in, causing smokers thinking of a couple of pints to think "I'll stay home, or go a mates' house, where we can smoke".

The ever-increasing drinks prices in pubs relative to drinks bought in supermarkets has something to do with it as well.

My old (sold last year) London place in Docklands was near a pub called The Queen of the Isle.

The owners saw the writing on the wall about 3 years ago.

Closed down and converted the building into flats.

2 bed flats going for......well see attached:

http://homes.trovit.co.uk/index.php/cod.re...=e14-apartments

The smoking ban and the thought of redundancies will see pub takings drop this year, so expect more closures.

Many of the big pub chains operated on a busines model that included capital appreciation from owning the properties.