House Price Crash Forum

The Future Of Ni Economics

Guest vicmac64

HOLA441
Guest vicmac64

So where do you all stand on this - we seem in my opinion to be living in a eutopia province, a land where everyone will end up working to the govt or be on benefits....... Well the figure suggest that is where we are heading.

I believe this is simply unsustainable. More than that we have seen our manufacturing industry decimated, Globalist businesses have destroyed our indiginous retailers and grocery outlets, Red tape threatens to suffocate business at every level (I for one will be employing nobody else until the govt lays off on red tape), I could go on but even if you havent thought about the long term consequences you have at least heard about the thorougly unstainable practices now evident in NI on a daily basis.

So what is you opinion - make your mark!!!!! and dont be voting early and often!!!!

HOLA442

I stopped at M&S Sprucefield on Saturday to get some flowers for my mum. I have never seen it so busy!

We are seeing a wave of consumer spending fueled by high property prices and a strong retail economy. Newry is packed everyday with shoppers from RoI. However, the new IKEA store and this Victoria centre are designed to attract even more further up the A1.

I see a change by this time next year as property throughout the Island will be still be in freefall and the high debt levels will kick in hard. Recession is on the way

HOLA443
I stopped at M&S Sprucefield on Saturday to get some flowers for my mum. I have never seen it so busy!

We are seeing a wave of consumer spending fueled by high property prices and a strong retail economy. Newry is packed everyday with shoppers from RoI. However, the new IKEA store and this Victoria centre are designed to attract even more further up the A1.

I see a change by this time next year as property throughout the Island will be still be in freefall and the high debt levels will kick in hard. Recession is on the way

Funny I can remember people saying that back in 1989 when I bought my first home. Interest rates where high, house prices in Northern Ireland where low because of the political situation. But if you went to AbbeyCentre in Newtownabbey at the weekend or any late night opening it was very busy. So IMO in another 19 years someone will be saying the same as you.

HOLA444

I voted 'NI is blighted with consumerism and lack of competitive manufacturing'

but while I think unemployment will rise and things will get tighter I feel that the UK central government has two much interest in letting things get too bad in terms of keeping the 'locals' happy to prevent a return to the bad old days and so in relation to the rest of the UK we will be subsidised if not by high levels of direct public employment, as we are currently are but 'quasi' public employment through generaous Invest NI grants to private business to locate /stay here.

There are still some very good private companies out there who have continued/flourished even in the worse of the past and will continue to. Some town centres will though gain more empty shop units!

HOLA445

I voted for NI has a healthy outlook.

I feel that despite the current economic worries, and when the whole credit crunch passes (however long that may be), with the European funding we are getting access to, the support of both the UK & Irish government this country will move forward and prosper.

And hey what's wrong with having an optimistic outlook on life-you'll fell much better for it! The last thing this country needs is for people to look backwards!

Edited by championmongo1

HOLA446

I voted will struggle through. I think the climate for moving forward will help. I think Wales/Scotland/Northern England will have a tougher time, imo.

I'm all for optimism, but blind hope isn't great for making sound business decisions.

HOLA447
I voted will struggle through. I think the climate for moving forward will help. I think Wales/Scotland/Northern England will have a tougher time, imo.

I'm all for optimism, but blind hope isn't great for making sound business decisions.

Yet if we are all pessimistic then we will force the worst to happen! Somewhere in the middle ground is probably the safist place to be!

HOLA448
Funny I can remember people saying that back in 1989 when I bought my first home. Interest rates where high, house prices in Northern Ireland where low because of the political situation. But if you went to AbbeyCentre in Newtownabbey at the weekend or any late night opening it was very busy. So IMO in another 19 years someone will be saying the same as you.

Statins - you should change your status to 'bull' - can't really remember the '89 situation well as I was still at school, but the tuck shop seemed busy at lunchtime. No credit cards though, only cold hard cash ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I took the most negative option.

My experience is that optimists typically are working on feeling and basing views on our govt inevitably helping us out. We will survive but we will not do it through manufacturing. Any contrary view is verging upon ridiculous.