House Price Crash Forum
Prof

National Savings Want Me To Grow My Own Food !

Just got back from another day of scraping a living. Checked my email, as usual.

NS&I have sent me an email. Mmmmmm, what do they want to tell me ?

They`ve teamed up with some organisation to encourage me to grow my own vegetables !

FFS, they`ll do anything to try and keep CPI down. If they suceed in getting me to grow my own onions, carrots etc, they`ll be able to exclude them from the "CPI Basket". I expect an email next month telling me to drill for my own oil and keep a herd of cattle. :rolleyes:

Edited by Prof

Just got back from another day of scraping a living. Checked my email, as usual.

They`ve teamed up with some organisation to encourage me to grow my own vegetables !

FFS, they`ll do anything to try and keep CPI down. If they suceed in getting me to grow my own onions, carrots etc, they`ll be able to exclude them from the "CPI Basket". I expect an email next month telling me to drill for my own oil and keep a herd of cattle. :rolleyes:

did they have any good tips

our carrotts were a bit disappointing last year (first year of trying though)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

'Be sure to bed your tomatoes in a fine mulch of 1st Class Stamps'

Dig for Victory

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

This is a bit scary. Does the government know something we don't?

No, we already know. Well I do, anyway (that`s why I went for an NS&I index linked savings certificate, RPI + a bit).

NS&I supports the RHS Grow Your Own Veg campaign

The RHS Grow Your Own Veg campaign aims to encourage everyone to grow their own produce. This year, with sponsorship from NS&I, the campaign is set to be even

bigger and better than before.

There will be plenty of events at the four RHS gardens across the country – Harlow Carr, Hyde Hall, Rosemoor and Wisley

– including free open days on Saturday

8 March.

The open days will be packed with information – teaching you all you need to know to start growing your own vegetables.

Visit www.nsandi.com/rhs

for more details.

Yes, I couldn`t believe it either !

We also grew carrots for the first time last year. We just made a....sorry, don't know the word....long mound of fine soil and sprinkled seeds thinly on top with just a little soil and compost on top of the seeds. Without any fertilizer we got some enormous carrots with a superb flavour.

Maybe your soil is rubbish, try a bit of compost.

Carrot tips:

Assuming you sowed the seed thinly, and tamped it down with the back of the rake, and watered it in, did you:

Thin the seedlings to an inch apart, when 1.5 inches high?

Keep the rows free of weeds with a push hoe?

Keep the soil trodden firm around them?

Dig for Victory - it may come to that....

OK, I quite like carrots, but what advice can you give for those forum members that aren`t quite so keen ?

Carrot tips:

Assuming you sowed the seed thinly, and tamped it down with the back of the rake, and watered it in, did you:

Thin the seedlings to an inch apart, when 1.5 inches high?

Keep the rows free of weeds with a push hoe?

Keep the soil trodden firm around them?

No, I got mine out of the freezer. However, thanks to the advice I got from NS&I (who`d have thunk it ?) I shall now be growin` my own. I hope I get another email from them, explaining how to brew my own booze and print my own money. I`ll then be sorted. Hang on, I`ll settle for the "print my own money" email.

My Mum had a go at growing tomatoes last year.

I don't know why, but I was expecting the first time we ate them to be a joyous occasion.

It wasn't, they tasted the same as supermarket bought ones.

Until they become £50 to buy in the shops, I'll rather watch Sky One and scratch my ****.

DON'T WORRY! They probably only want a few more candiates as MP's.

Running out of other sources.

They know that they think we know but won't tell anyone that we know that they know that we know that they are basically crooks and as log as we, aka the majority, don't talke about it too much they know or at least they think they know that they should in all probability be allright.

But that is for us to know and them to find out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::P

Guest Bart of Darkness

Are they running out of voters for Gordon?

NS&I supports the RHS Grow Your Own Veg campaign

The RHS Grow Your Own Veg campaign aims to encourage everyone to grow their own produce. This year, with sponsorship from NS&I, the campaign is set to be even

bigger and better than before.

There will be plenty of events at the four RHS gardens across the country – Harlow Carr, Hyde Hall, Rosemoor and Wisley

– including free open days on Saturday

8 March.

The open days will be packed with information – teaching you all you need to know to start growing your own vegetables.

Visit www.nsandi.com/rhs

for more details.

Yes, I couldn`t believe it either !

or maybe next year they should sponcer a post office, so all the old people can save and bank with them rather than having to take an 8 mile bus trip.

...the good ones during the last recessions were making your own wines and beers.....Boots used to do roaring business with kits.... :rolleyes:

My Mum had a go at growing tomatoes last year.

I don't know why, but I was expecting the first time we ate them to be a joyous occasion.

It wasn't, they tasted the same as supermarket bought ones.

Until they become £50 to buy in the shops, I'll rather watch Sky One and scratch my ****.

Before you picked / ate them, were you watching sky one??

yeah..... THAT WILL BE WHY THEY TASTED LIKE SH*T THEN!

Wash your f**king hands next time! :lol::lol::lol::lol::P

...the good ones during the last recessions were making your own wines and beers.....Boots used to do roaring business with kits.... :rolleyes:

If i buy 1200 beer kits, the girlfriend can get some number 7 eye shadow with the advantage points!

now, see you all soon. negotation time. :P

No, we already know. Well I do, anyway (that`s why I went for an NS&I index linked savings certificate, RPI + a bit).

That's my point. Index linked bonds make sense but grow our own food? That's a bit radical as a pure inflation hedge isn't it, doesn't it seems to point more to supply issues? And what has this to do with NS? Why use _that_ branch of the treasury to communicate the message? Discretion? Fear of the ridiculous?

Can you post a copy of the email?

I found this email in my spam folder - and the server-side spam filter I use is usually top notch.

Plus even I thought it was spam when I looked - such an odd email!!